“Beautiful new property” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Abbeville, South Carolina
“Beautiful new property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

First caveat: this is NOT in the historic district. We visit in Charleston often and it is not an issue for us. We knew where we were staying but someone wanting to stay in the historic district will not get what they expect with this HI. But the service they will receive will be excellent! As with the rest of Chuck, there is no parking. The Valet guys are on the ball and soooo helpful. The front desk girls were helpful and friendly. As in a lot of new hotels, they are going to the large shower enclosures rather than a tub. Good plan, but there are a few drawbacks in this shower. There are 2 shelves the size and shape of a diagonal sandwich which is not sufficient for most women and our products. Also, there is no ledge or step on which to prop your foot in order to shave your legs. This is a design flaw and no hotel should install these shower enclosures.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
CofCMom,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us following your recent stay.
A great deal of planning and thought went into the design of our new hotel, and your comments regarding the oversized shower have been noted.
As we continue to evolve, I assure you we will give serious consideration to all the comments left by our guests, regarding any changes we can make, to improve our guest's experience.
Input such as yours is a valuable tool we rely on and I would once again like to thank you for your review.
Thanks,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cocoa Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at this new hotel last week. After my flight was diverted to Columbia due to inclement weather in Charleston, I arrived late and tired and was immediately warmly greeted by the Valet Staff.
Kelli at the front desk was outstanding, the room: spacious, clean, obviously new and extremely comfortable.
The public areas in the hotel are beautifully appointed, wonderful pool area and I heard from some other guests that the restaurant is fabulous.
I can't say enough positive things about my stay. Although too brief, I will definately make this hotel my first choice on any future visit to Charleston.

Room Tip: They are all new!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. Hopefully on your next visit you can stay a little longer, not only to enjoy the wonderful facilities at the hotel but the beautiful city of Charleston.
We all look forward to welcoming you back.
Thanks,
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We chose the Holiday Inn- Historic District for our base camp during my four day Bachelor Trip in February 2013. Everything about this hotel is top notch. Change the name and it could just as easily be an Embassy Suites Hotel. It’s that nice. I won’t have to waste my time deciding where to stay the next time I go back to Charleston because the Holiday Inn-Historic District has it all; clean, great customer service, and good food. Here’s my breakdown for everything:

Location- You might be a little hesitant when you first arrive because of the neighborhood it’s in. However, that whole area is being developed and will be really nice within a year. But we had absolutely no problems with safety or anything like that. They have valet parking and there is a parking garage attached to the building and our golf clubs, which were just lying in the back of our pickup truck, were safe and secure the whole time. A huge plus is that it’s within easy walking distance from King St which has lots of restaurants, bars, shops, and entertainment. We also played gold at Patriot’s Point which is only 5 miles away.

Hotel- The hotel itself is fantastic. We were told it had only been open for about 2 weeks when we arrived. There is a heated-salt water pool on the second floor that was very nice and felt great. Especially on those days we didn’t feel 100% due to the previous night’s activities. The rooms were very nice, comfortable, clean and Housekeeping does a great job if you need anything for your room (towels, bed changed, extra soap, etc).

Food- Get ready to be surprised. This isn’t a microwave and bagel type of hotel dining experience and there isn’t some hungover college kid cooking in the back. They have an actual chef that provides excellent menu options, for both breakfast and lunch, that is only outdone by how good the food tastes and how well the service is. We decided to eat dinner there one night and the Shrimp and Grits was amazing. Those in our group who had breakfast were impressed also.

Bar- Yes, the Holiday Inn has a FULL BAR. If you want it, they got it. Plus, the bartenders, Josh and Dan (Billy Mays twin) do a great job making whatever you want along with keeping the conversations going.

Customer Service- From the time you are greeted by Colton and the Valet Guys, the Customer Service doesn’t stop or diminish. Nicole, Gabby, and the other girls at the Front Desk are great at assisting anyway they can. All you have to do is ask a hotel employee for anything and they will help.

Kevin- Yes, I had to give a separate paragraph for Kevin. He is the Food and Beverage Manager and as good as he is at that, he is an even better Concierge and overall Ambassador for the hotel and Charleston. Anything you want to know about Charleston, just ask Kevin. He knows where to eat, where to visit, where to shop, and can help with reservations and transportation. I have been all around the world and stayed at many hotels, but I have never met someone who does a better job at Customer Service and representing his hotel than Kevin. I’m sure you will see his name in other reviews and will get to see for yourself if you visit the hotel.

In closing, I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Charleston. We all had a great time staying there and I want to personally thank the entire staff for the great job they did taking care of our wild bunch. There is no where else we could have stayed and had a better time or better service. We will be back. And if you go, tell Kevin that Todd, the Bachelor of the First Bachelor Party to stay there, said hi.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask the front desk to put you on the side opposite of any construction g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Todd D,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review following you recent visit. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will ensure I share you kind remarks with all the team at the hotel and in particular Kevin.
Not only I am fortunated to manage a beautifully appointed hotel but have the pleasure of working with a great staff, dedicated to provide exceptional guest service.
I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you on your next visit to Charleston.
My thanks,
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed there on the 3rd day of opening. They were not ready for guests yet. Our deadbolt would not lock to our room. Lukewarm water in the shower. Never had a hot shower. Bed was very uncomfortable. Really hard mattress. Paid for parking and valet guaranteed it would be safe and only 2 ppl would have access to the garage. I found my vehicle parked outside by a very sketchy gas station in the dirt where all the homeless and other ppl had access to it. Not secure at all. The food was tasteless and lacked quality. Overall just a bad stay. When I told the staff including the manager about the issues they said sorry but that's what you get when you stay somewhere new. Needless to say they need more tact in professionalism and customer service.

Room Tip: Make sure you check to make sure you have hot water when you check in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
You are correct, our opening was not as smooth as it should have been and you are pretty accurate with your review and comments. Since the opening date we have taken care of all the issues you have commented on and I am proud to say we have had nothing but satisfied customers every since. I invite you back as my guest in the future to prove we now "Have our act tgeather". Please call me at your conveniance. Bob
Conway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after it had been open for three days! We were told by the hotel staff that we were the first to stay in our rooms! This hotel will definitely rise in the rankings after it's been open longer. The staff and service was excellent--everyone was really nice and helpful! It was also beautifully decorated. The style was very modern and chic, with dark wood and light green & purple accents. Our room was very comfortable--large bathroom, comfortable mattress, a selection of firm and soft pillows (all of which were labeled as such), a really spacious bathroom, good water pressure in the shower, and a flat screen tv. There is a little "marketplace" in the lobby that sells snacks, medication, tissue, etc. and I was happy to see that they didn't gauge you on prices (I had a headache and needed Advil which was priced at $2.50...usually hotels charge absurd amounts for things like this).

I didn't eat at the restaurant...it seemed a bit on the pricey side for what it was (tapas & small bites, with a few entrees). Considering that this hotel is in the heart of downtown, where the food is amazing, it didn't really seem worth our time. Also, the person who posted that this restaurant had free parking is mistaken. They have a valet service which charges $16 a day. This is actually very reasonable, considering that the hotel room was *very* reasonable for it's location and quality (more than reasonable, actually). And the valet guys were super friendly and helpful with tips about the city.

Overall, this is a great place and will probably get a much better ranking once it's been open longer. We can't wait to return in the future!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
First off, thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, and secondley thank you very much for your kind comments. Please tell your friends about us when traveling to Charleston & we hope to have you again in "your home away from home". We hope to see you again real soon, Bob
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Brand new hotel is beautiful and clean. Only downfall is there's no parking lot, only valet parking that is $16 a day. I guess you could find a spot somewhere on the street, but not about to do that with my new BMW. Overall, very pleases. Good luck finding a new, clean and modern hotel in downtown for this great of a price.

• Stayed January 2013
Bob B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel & thank you for your great comments. Downtown Charleston's public parking is normally by meter or parking garage which neither are available at our location. We only offer valet parking as our parking is in the basement of our hotel but the upside is your vehicle is very secure. There is self parking at the Visitors Center two blocks away for those that want to self park. When your plans bring you back to Charleston we look forward to being your home away from home. Thank you, Bob
New Philadelphia, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This Holiday Inn is in the middle of the Historical district of Charleston. Free parking and no need to use your car for everything as all is smack in front of you! Rooms are v nice meals were great at the hotel but so many nearby to chose from.Market place and shops everywhere. Is a little expensine but most hotels charge for parking when staying downtown rooms! Fort Sumter is a nice boat ride away to visit the old Fort. The bicycles made for 2 people is also a nice way to see downtown and safe. The upscale houses near the park at the eastern section with so many beautiful colors is great day too Clean city well laid out with many lively bars and etc.! Beautiful lined streets and parks with lots of flowering trees and bushes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown? Share your experiences!