“I should have slept in my friend's backyard storage shed!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Charleston South

You added Motel 6 Charleston South to your Saves list
Motel 6 Charleston South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2058 Savannah Highway, I-526 at US 17, Charleston, SC 29407   |
Ranked #51 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, SC
“I should have slept in my friend's backyard storage shed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

I stayed at this motel for 6 miserable nights. I would have checked out after the first night except for the fact that there is no refund on unused nights when a week-long stay has been booked. The friend whom I had come to visit lives in a very small house and she had joked that I was welcome to stay in her backyard shed for free. I should have taken advantage of her offer.

I had requested no housekeeping services for my first day there. I left my room in the morning and when I returned later in the day, I found that someone had indeed entered
the room as the TV was turned off (I had left it on) and some of my CDs were missing. The front office told me I would have to wait two days to speak to the manager. I did that and was assured that the housekeeping staff would be spoken to. Several days later, I looked under the bed and saw a used condom. Throughout the stay there were roaches crawling all over,. Several times I saw what appeared to be a transient sleeping in the lobby when a certain desk clerk was on duty. If I hadn't been short on money, I would have left in a hurry and wouldn't have cared about losing the full week's charges. I guess sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Whittier, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

First off, you need to bear in mind that my comments and ratings are based on a $36 room (which includes a 10% senior discount, but not tax). For that amount, the room was an excellent value. I booked and stayed for three days. I'd requested in my on-line reservation a non-smoking room with senior discount. I got both once I arrived without asking; guess I look my age! Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I was in the building furthest from check-in, these non-smoking rooms of which appear to be remodeled (so I'd ask for that, when you check in). The rooms are truly spartan, but that's Motel 6. But it was really very nice, quite clean, with a comfortable bed, and large enough at $36. Had a nice, and clean, swimming pool which I didn't use. All three morning wake-ups came as requested. But as Motel 6's seem to go, they always have their share of shady characters hanging around outside some of the rooms, and this one was no exception--so I wasn't disappointed. Two nights were completely quiet and my last night, a Friday, was pretty noisy upward to 3:00 A.M considering said shady characters. When I checked in on Wednesday, one guy was in the process of getting arrested in the room next door to mine. So aside from these caveats, I recommend the place, and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Knoxville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I stay at quite a few dumps when I travel alone but today I had my family with me and I made a mistake. We drove into the parking lot and landscaping and repaving were in progress so we thought if they cared about that the rooms must be ok. Check in was good w/nice desk clerk. Got to the room and it was full of flies and smelled of pot. It was a non smoking room but had ashtrays in it. The room was about 300 degrees and the A/C was touching the bed which seemed unsafe. We asked for and got another room and also decided to pay for their wireless internet service which at 2.99 seemed ok. When we got to this room the air was on and cool and no flies or smoky smell. We have 2 laptops so we connected to the internet but only one computer would work with the code. We called the desk and inquired about the code and was informed that it works for only one computer and we would have to buy another code number for the other computer. This along with the flooring and carpet coming loose broke the straw so we asked for and got a refund. They refused to refund our internet card though. Drove down the street and stayed at the sleep inn. Well worth the 20 dollar difference.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Lexington, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Exactly what you expect from a Motel 6...no frills whatsoever. Our room was clean, and looked like it had been recently updated. The A/C took a long time to cool down a small room, and the mattress was awful. Both my wife and I woke up with our backs hurting. The motel is not in the best part of town, but not the worst. The lady at the front desk and other staff were very friendly. The really only bad experience we had was someone booming their rap music in their car and screaming in the parking lot at 1:30 in the morning. Other than that, though, we didn't really spend much time in the room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Of course there is not much to be expected at that rate. This place is really the most basic basic basic. A chair with plastic cover, plastic table, plastic bath. Didn't look very clean and all with hair from different pre-sleepers. A bit disgusting.
And why does a non-smoking room smells that terribly smoky ?!?!
Location is right off the highway behind a McDonalds. As several reviewers already wrote, do request a room facing away the highway. It is quieter then.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Pine Mountain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

This is the second time I have chosen this motel. I want a clean and inexpensive room when traveling on business and this location fits the bill. Ask for (no, demand) a room on the side opposite the freeway entrance ramp. The staff is cordial, my room met my standards of cleanliness (spotless bathroom). I asked for a no-smoking room, and it seemed to meet the bill. SO...for a reasonably clean, decent room for the night, this motel met my expectations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Weehawken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

I often stay at Motel 6 when I travel, and never understood why people dislike it so much: Motel 6s offer great value and comfortable, clean accommodations, at least from my experiences. This one, however, may be an exception. The location was questionable...at best! There was some kind of domestic altercation in the room next to us and the cops were brought in a 5 am in the morning: it caused a lot of noise. Also, there was a hit and run incident on Savannah Hwy right outside the motel, according to the local news, the night that we stayed there, so it was kind of a shady neighborhood. I recommend trying out the other Motel 6 in Charleston instead.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Charleston South? Share your experiences!