“Clean and basic!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Charleston South

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Charleston South to your Saves list
Motel 6 Charleston South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2058 Savannah Highway, I-526 at US 17, Charleston, SC 29407   |
Ranked #51 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Montreal, Canada
“Clean and basic!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Nothing fancy, just the basic bed and loo... If you don't need much, just a cheap place to crash for the night while on the road, this is an OK place to do so. A bit of road noise from the highway, but overall clean and safe.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This is consistent with the majority of my motel 6 experiences. Fairly clean, central location, GREAT price and easy access in and out, not to mention the energy efficient business that all motel 6s currently are a part of. Oh, and welcoming to our friendly and well behaved pit bull. What more could we ask for?!? Everything you need and nothing you don't. Don't expect some fancy hotel or even a holiday inn. This is a motel 6. Get with it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel is ok for the price we paid,,only thing is ,,,,dont try to get ICE from the machines....2 ice machines and both nights ,,both where empty,,when we question the staff ,,their response was ,,"there's nothing we can do about it..people fill up coolers and leave them empty"...well my suggestion is,,,put up a sign that said dont fill coolers!!I have seen this sign placed at other hotels!!!other than this,,,its is a older hotel but it was clean and quiet both nights...

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs if possible or you will have head lights shinning i n your eyes all night
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Naples
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are in Charleston, keep away from this roach motel. Room smelled like smoke and bathroon was moldy. Sleep in your car if there is no other rooms in town...................................................

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Charleston South, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Platon63 - We apologize for your unpleasant stay and for the odor and cleanliness issues you encountered during your stay. These issues are not consistent with our quality standards at Motel 6. Please contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Statesboro, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I saw many bad reviews, but also some positive reviews, so I figured that the place cannot be too bad. After all, it is a Motel 6, so I figured that it the place must be decent after all (I am not picky).
I came and the place was dirty, run-down, shady. In front of the reception desk there was a coffee area with coffee spilled all over it - nobody among the staff cared to clean it. IN other words, it is not that staff has to deal with a dirty old place - like some reviewers say. What I saw was lazy staff that does not care how bad the place is and makes it worse.
But the worst was to come. My wife and and I checked it, and went to the room to put our baggage in (it was around 1 pm). The room was not yet cleaned, and looked TERRIBLE, so I decided not to leave the baggage there - keep it in the car, until the room is cleaned. When I returned in the evening, somebody else was checked in our room - the staff person at the front desk was so incompetent, that he checked in another person in our room, because apparently, I was not in the system, even though I was checked in and given the keys - and PAID!!!! I asked for another room, and the receptionists did not know how to rebook me to another room, and was frantically looking for another person to do it for him - and she was not to be found, so the place was managed by one incompetent guy who did not know what he was doing (the manager apparently was fired). Then. cops arrived and the it just got worse. There was a big line of people at the front desk, the guy did not know how to handle a single problem, it was madness. I demanded a refund.
I would never stay there again, and advise anyone to stay away from the place. It is a mess...It is managed by incompetent, lazy and untrustworthy people who don't even know how to check you in. Your reservation might not work, your room can be given to someone else, etc., etc. It is more than one person - the whole crew that I encountered was incompetent.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange Park, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First I have to say all the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful. I'm just sad they have to work at such a run down old place.

The bathroom was clean and recently painted but the shower had no hot water. We came in very late and my roommate wanted a shower but had to wait until morning. They send in a maintenance guy with a power drill that showed up immediately. I don't know what he did but we had hot water AND a very leaky shower. There is no tub just a shower stall and the bottom gasket leaked. Water all over the bathroom floor. I reported it to the office and we left for the day. Upon our very late return we had a wet bathroom AND a leaky shower head.

I expected them to maybe take something off the final bill but they did not.

The room was tiny tiny tiny. The double beds were each up against a wall so the space between beds was the only way to get in and out. Holes in the bedspreads, flat pillows, spongy mattress tops. If I hadn't been exhausted each night I couldn't have slept.

I found a big bug on the bedside table and the refrigerator wasn't plugged in when we arrived. We were afraid to store food in the fridge in case it never cooled down.

At $62/night it wasn't worth it. I might stay again for the bargain price of $39/night because I have dogs and I'm literally only in the room to sleep. They do take multiple dogs with no pet fee which is very appreciated.

The location is congested and there is a Piggly Wiggly across the street and a McDonalds too. Very close to the mall and a very busy street (Hwy 17). My friends on the backside of the hotel were kept awake all night with a domestic dispute and police on the scene. My side was quiet.

Again, the staff couldn't have been nicer. I think they really try but it's just hard to work with a rundown old hotel with old cheap furnishings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Savannah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is very old and located alongside a 6-lane highway and an uphill interstate on-ramp, so we heard accelerating all night long. The door to the adjacent room would not lock, the bed was squishy, the reservation was wrong (asked for non-smoking, was assigned smoking, until the front desk man fixed it), asked for another blanket and were told they didn't have any. The one towel they gave us was rough like sandpaper.

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 6 Charleston South? Share your experiences!