“Pet friendly but old and rundown.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Charleston South

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Charleston South to your Saves list
Motel 6 Charleston South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2058 Savannah Highway, I-526 at US 17, Charleston, SC 29407   |
Ranked #52 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Orange Park, FL
“Pet friendly but old and rundown.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First I have to say all the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful. I'm just sad they have to work at such a run down old place.

The bathroom was clean and recently painted but the shower had no hot water. We came in very late and my roommate wanted a shower but had to wait until morning. They send in a maintenance guy with a power drill that showed up immediately. I don't know what he did but we had hot water AND a very leaky shower. There is no tub just a shower stall and the bottom gasket leaked. Water all over the bathroom floor. I reported it to the office and we left for the day. Upon our very late return we had a wet bathroom AND a leaky shower head.

I expected them to maybe take something off the final bill but they did not.

The room was tiny tiny tiny. The double beds were each up against a wall so the space between beds was the only way to get in and out. Holes in the bedspreads, flat pillows, spongy mattress tops. If I hadn't been exhausted each night I couldn't have slept.

I found a big bug on the bedside table and the refrigerator wasn't plugged in when we arrived. We were afraid to store food in the fridge in case it never cooled down.

At $62/night it wasn't worth it. I might stay again for the bargain price of $39/night because I have dogs and I'm literally only in the room to sleep. They do take multiple dogs with no pet fee which is very appreciated.

The location is congested and there is a Piggly Wiggly across the street and a McDonalds too. Very close to the mall and a very busy street (Hwy 17). My friends on the backside of the hotel were kept awake all night with a domestic dispute and police on the scene. My side was quiet.

Again, the staff couldn't have been nicer. I think they really try but it's just hard to work with a rundown old hotel with old cheap furnishings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Savannah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is very old and located alongside a 6-lane highway and an uphill interstate on-ramp, so we heard accelerating all night long. The door to the adjacent room would not lock, the bed was squishy, the reservation was wrong (asked for non-smoking, was assigned smoking, until the front desk man fixed it), asked for another blanket and were told they didn't have any. The one towel they gave us was rough like sandpaper.

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I often stay at Motel 6 when we travel because they welcome pets, and we usually travel with our dog. We stayed at this one for four nights with our two kids and the dog, and it was very reasonably priced at around $200 after tax for all four nights. The front desk staff was friendly and polite. The room was clean, although no maid tidied up while we were out on the second day of our stay. My bed was WELL past its prime, and the blanket was coarse cheep material, while the bed spread had tears and burn holes in it. Our real complaint was the noise, though. Being right next to a highway on-ramp and a major road, we may as well have had walls made of corrugated cardboard for as loud as it was. It was hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. As soon as morning traffic began (around 6 a.m.), I was awakened by the noise and could not go back to sleep. Overall, though, if you need a low-cost place to stay, this is a good price for what you are getting.

Room Tip: Request a room on the side farthest away from the highway to reduce noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am a Motel 6 fan and this is the worst Motel 6 ever dirty filthy mattress uncomfortable loud seedy. There is a much McDonald's across the parking lot that's about the only good news I have about this place

• Stayed March 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

It has great location with access to 2 major roads in Charleston county, Hwy. 17 and I-526. It has that West Ashley vibe, sort of "redneck," but not life-threatening or dangerous, as in North Charleston. Other reviewers have pointed out the paucity of towels and the low water pressure, so I will add that my toliet backed up and almost overflowed. Also, there was a used condom in the breeze-way close to my room. I guess they tried to flush it, but when that did not work, he just threw it outdoors. For $40 you are going to get the basic setting: a comfy bed, a small tv, free coffee, no fridge, no microwave, and WiFi for an extra charge of $2. I used to stay at the Masters Inn in Mt. Pleasant, but new owners raised the rate to $60 and it offers about the same amenities as this Motel 6. I will also add that the location is convenient to the historical district, about 5 miles down 17, and many restaurants and bars are in the area, including Bessinger's BBQ, which is award-winning Q at a decent price-- unlike the overpriced, posh joints in the downtown district.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at this Motel 6 before and will again. It is what it is. An inexpensive place for a night passing through. People expecting a frig or a microwave in a standard room at a Motel 6 obviously have no idea what the property is meant to be. The room is small, but fine. The staff is very nice and helpful It's in a good section of town near Citadel Mall, and the road access is good. Don't expect coffee in the room or hairdryers. They do have to do something to keep the rates so low. And if you need a good lunch to-go, you would be surprised how
good the deli is across the street at the Piggly-Wiggly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ninety Six, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Traveled with my husband, our 8 month old daughter and my sister. Her significant other already had a room here, so we figured it would be easier for us to meet up at the end of the weekend if we got a room as well. My sister says that they had no issues with their room, with the exception of no microwave or mini-fridge. My husband, daughter and I, however, had a complete HORROR experience.

Our FIRST room was non-smoking. Although our neighbors a few doors down were smoking - outside...my husband still smelled smoke INSIDE the room. So he went to the front desk and requested a room change. We got our new room and it took us about 5 minutes to convince the door to open. That should have been a sign that our stay was going to be horrible....and it was. We were greeted by a roach on the desk, just "chilling". Only 2 bars of soap and two towels. The bathroom was somewhat decent, but the shower had another roach that apparently felt the need to be clean. The a/c either pumped out cold air or hardly any air, depending on what we set the temp on. The beds had fleas, the room had gnats and we discovered, to our horror, that the microwave that we used to warm up our breakfast in and ate housed at LEAST one roach, which crawled from between the glass and the plastic door on one side to the other and crawled back into the microwave housing. Needless to say, we checked out and luckily got a refund for our second night that we had paid for in advance and found a much nicer - AND CLEANER hotel downtown.

The only positive to this place is the front desk staff that was very friendly, both checking in and checking out....and Domino's pizza's fast delivery.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS MOTEL! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! CHEAP PRICING DEFINITELY DETERMINES THE QUALITY FOR THIS PLACE. WE ARE NOT STAYING AT THIS - OR ANY MOTEL 6 AGAIN! OH...AND THEIR SLOGAN "WE'LL THE LIGHT ON FOR YOU" IS A LIE. WE DEFINITELY HAD TO TURN ON IN BOTH OF OUR ROOMS.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Charleston South? Share your experiences!