“Nice decor, okay food” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Macintosh is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ann Street
New York City, New York
“Nice decor, okay food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I had to have the bone marrow bread pudding since it got rave reviews. I was disappointed. It did not have much flavor. I've had artisinal bone marrow at finer restaurants (like Spotted Pig in NYC) and this one doesn't even compare. Other than that, they have a nice wine list, good staff, and vibrant scene. The food is good but I'd rate it 3 stars out of 5.

Visited June 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Forget "Husk" Eat HERE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

After you are snubbed at "Husk" for trying to get a table...wander over to "The Macintosh". EXCELLENT food, service, and drinks, all presented in a WELCOMING atmosphere. On our visit, we enjoyed, Salad of Young Greens, Soft Shell Crab, Housemade Sausage plate, Grilled Deckle, and Duck Confit....all EXCELLENT. We really had a great evening here.

Visited April 2012
Detroit, Michigan
“Great restaurant on King Street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is another great restaurant in Charleston. They have good food, great service, nice atmosphere. If you like more light, sit towards the front; we sat in the back and it was dark, which we didn't mind. I ordered Deckle, which I'm told is the top half of a ribeye steak - it was yummy. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited May 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
“Old school food in a hip new location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I must say that given the hype and reviews I was disappointed. Mind you it is a fine place to eat, but there is nothing cutting edge or different to separate The MacIntosh from numerous other establishments in Charleston.

A newly renovated space on trendy upper King Street. The hostess stand is immediately to the left of the entrance and a large bar is to the right. Tables begin midway back in the restaurant. Lots of polished wood, exposed brick, etc. Lovely, but this is rapidly becoming routine for Charleston rehabs. Nothing new or different here. No art or other wall decoration - too bad for the missed opportunity to make it more interesting. Noise level can get very high when the place is full.

The entire front wall of the restaurant is a glass window. We ate relativeIy early (6 PM reservation) and I sat facing the front of the house. The glare from the window was awful. I could not see the person across the table from me for the first hour.

Young, perky waitstaff. They know the menu and the food but, really, I do not need to have an explanation how each menu item is prepared. if I want to know I'll ask.

Nice wine list and small but well selected draft and bottled beers. Pricing is a bit high though ($6 to $7 for craft brew draft).

Food was good. Ingredients were top quality. None of our party of four received anything they did not enjoy, but all the items we ordered were a la old school, i.e. rather heavy with brown sauces. Food is very much akin to what Chef Jeremiah Bacon made when he was at Carolina's Restaurant in Charleston before moving to Oak and now MacIntosh.

Good, but will not return. Too many other more interesting places to dine in Charleston.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
bethesda, md
“pigged out on pig”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

great brunch, outside at a nice farm table and enjoyed some great farm to table food. Worthy of the good reviews it gets all round.

Visited May 2012