“Lovely touches, but rooms could be better” 4 of 5 stars

Break-Away Dates
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Lovely touches, but rooms could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The French Quarter Inn largely lives up to its reputation, in that the service is generally excellent and the inclusive elements are a nice touch and very high quality - good wine, excellent continental breakfast, wonderful fresh cookies in the evening. It's also perfectly placed to explore Charleston, you can walk to almost everywhere from here, including a slew of fantastic restaurants. The one let down was the room. When I book a King suite at $400 a night I expect a separate sitting area and a bath in the bathroom. Neither were delivered. The staff at reception were apologetic but could offer nothing better, despite larger rooms being clearly shown on the floor layouts on the inside of the door of our room. Despite this we enjoyed our stay and would return, but with different expectations and a more detailed discussion in advance about the rooms avaialble.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Jennie P,

I hope you are doing well back in beautiful London! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I apologize the impression of you had of our King Junior Suites. You are correct, our junior suites are essentially a very large room with the sitting area on the other side of the space. Please contact me directly the next time you visit us, and I'll make sure to make arrangements for you to stay in one of our full suites!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel for the traveler who likes extras with a friendly touch. Count on a Continental breakfast with atypical options such as boiled eggs, organic Greek yogurt and fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Add to that a welcome glass of sparkling, cookies, milk and port in the evening, and free printing at the hotel computer. Luxury travelers will notice that some of the fabric choices and fixtures aren't on par with their other five-star choices, but this place wins on most other respects.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear jd294,

I hope you are well in the GREAT state of Texas! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, we plan to upgrade many of our furnishings this winter, and I know you will find them to be very 5 star!

Taunton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My second trip to the French Quarter Inn. Just love it there. It is beautiful with such great customer service. Everyone is very friendly. The breakfast is really nice. We like to eat out in the courtyard. Enjoyed the wine and cheese reception before dinner and love the cookies and milk at night. We will be back next time we visit Charleston.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lisa W,

It was a delight to have you back, and I hope you are doing well in beautiful Massachusetts! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I just love going places where service is tops, people are friendly, and the staff love their jobs! French Quarter Inn is that kind of hotel. From the complimentary breakfast/snacks/drinks to the excellent staff, this is your hotel. I took my mother for her birthday, and we had a blast walking everywhere -- the hotel location is prime. We had a double room with a balcon,y overlooking the market and bridge at night. The room was neat and clean. We loved that the hotel places coffee on each floor in the mornings and the first person up could slip on a robe and get coffee/tea early.

If there is a negative it is that when driving from the airport we had difficulty spotting the hotel and had to circle a few times. It seems like the hotel could place some markers/signs pointing to the valet/driveway, but they may not be able to do so due to city rules. Once in the drive, the staff welcomed us and quickly took our bags.

Overall, we think this is a very special hotel and look forward to returning again. Thank you FQI staff -- you all work hard and it shows!

Room Tip: Request balcony overlooking the bridge
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear TxTxAustin,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our Inn and that you acknowledge our service in which we strive to perfect everyday! I hope you are well over in the GREAT state of Texas and the GREAT city of Austin (one of my personal favorite cities in the world)! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Fort Myers Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stopped in Charleston on the way home from Raleigh. Chose this hotel by chance for its location and website presentation. A little hard to find as it is facing an alley off Church Street but a great location. Got in at 1 and the room was not ready but had the comp champagne, went for a long walk around the historic district and returned at 2:30 to my room. A beautiful lobby greets you when you ascend from the ground floor valet entrance. Circular staircase and really comfortable but elegant decorations with lots of comfortable seating around. Lemonade and other silver chalice presented drinks are always available. I skipped the wine and cheese reception. The room was very spacious and the king bed solid and comfortable. Large bathroom with substantial shower. Everything just right. Went to dinner at recommended Hall's Chophouse. Walked there about 1/4 mile. The perfect restaurant finally found!! All in all an incredibly enjoyable stopover in Charleston thanks to the French Quarter Inn. Staff were terrific!

Room Tip: The King Room is just great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear joe y,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our Inn, Charleston and her great dining! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope you are well in beautiful Fort Meyers!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My two friends and myself meet somewhere different once a year. This year we picked Charleston. We fell in love with this inn. It was so lovely. They upgraded us to a suite which was very large and beautifully decorated. The staff was the nicest and friendliest of any place I have stayed. We had complimentary breakfast, wine and cheese in the afternoon and cookies and drinks before bedtime. Candy left on our bed at night. I can't wait to bring my husband on our next long weekend trip. A special thanks to Michele at the front desk. Also to chuck and to all the staff for making us feel so welcome.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Rona M,

Wow..."best Inn in Charleston!" I am delighted to read that y'all chose us for your meeting destination with friends, and I am so proud to read that y'all found our staff to be the friendliest ever! Also, Michelle says hello! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Sandia Park, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Our first trip to Charleston but it won't be our last! This wonderful inn certainly made our experience exceptional from start to finish. The staff are very professional as you would expect at a 5 star property but were also very welcoming and friendly. They truly made you feel they were happy to have you there. The amenities....wonderful breakfast, refreshments throughout the day, evening wine and cheese, artisanal chocolates at turndown...added to the overall experience. The location absolutely cannot be beat if you would like to stay in a beautiful inn and walk to all the fabulous restaurants, museums, and shopping that Charleston is known for. Wonderful stay...thank you Brent, Marvin, and all the Staff...Great job!

Room Tip: We stayed in a King suite...exceptional!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sandiagal,

I hope y'all are well in beautiful New Mexico! It was an absolute pleasure meeting y'all, and we really enjoyed having y'all as our guest! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, Marvin says hello!