“Perfect location, special little touches” 4 of 5 stars

Exclusive Savings
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scarborough, Maine
“Perfect location, special little touches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The French Quarter Inn is conveniently located near the Market/ Historic district of Charleston. It is easy walking distance to anything you may want to do in the area.

The hotel is beautiful. We loved the champagne at check-in. The complimentary morning breakfast was very nice. I especially liked the homemade granola. Staff was helpful and pleasant.

A surprising benefit was a choice of room service pillows. I had never heard of such a thing. This is great for anyone wanting to try out a certain type of unique pillow.

Coffee was available down the hall but not in our room. I'm not sure why nicer hotels don't realized that sometimes a mini Kerig coffee in the room is okay to get the day going.

Green Features: Garbage cans were split between recycle and non recycle materials.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Slanegriffin96,

I hope y'all are doing well up in beautiful Maine! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed our homemade granola, and your idea of a Keurig in our guestrooms is something we are greatly considering!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Glendale, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

When we looked for a hotel to stay in for our visit to Charleston a few possibilities presented. Tripadvisor suggested the French Quarter for its location, ambience and service. They were right on. From start to finish we couldn't have been more pleased--Champagne and sweets at check in, evening wine and cheese nightly, milk and cookies at bedtime, very adequate breakfast, quiet, clean rooms, half a block from Market Street! Most pleasing, however, was the staff. Jenny, Marvin, Michelle and Mike (and others) went out of there way to make our stay exceptional. Great suggestions for meals (Cru and Magnolias were great), tours, shopping and a plantation visit. The comfortable feeling we got from where we stayed set the tone for a perfect visit to Charleston (despite the rain!).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Marman99,

I hope y'all are doing well up in beautiful Wisconsin! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, Jenny, Marvin, Michelle and Mike all say hello!

Timonium, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I needed a room for only 1 night in Charleston as we were traveling to meet our family for our annual vacation in Edisto Beach, SC. We stopped at a Welcome Center and the hostess graciously called the French Quarter Inn for us as we wanted to stay within the historic district. Scott Martindale, the sales manager, made the reservation with me and told me we would not regret the stay at the Inn. Scott greeted us at the afternoon reception. A perfect southern gentleman! After a very long drive we arrived at the inn and was greeted by the reservation hostess with glasses of champagne. The hostess told us to come back at 5:30. We arrived to find carafes of wine, champagne, cheese, meats ,fruit, lemonade plus, plus....... a relaxing start to an evening. Upon our return we had glasses of port, cookies, chocolate salami and milk. In the morning we had a delicious continental breakfast complete with champagne. Our room was spotless and the bathroom was stocked with all amenities as needed. The staff were always very courteous and willing to help wherever they could. We are heading back for another stay hopefully in the spring.

Room Tip: No view but located within walking distance of everything you would want to do in Charleston. Very...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear 832Ann,

Wow--I thank you for such high praises, and I hope y'all had a great time on Edisto (my home-away-from-home)! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I took a vacation to Charleston and Savannah. We had very high hopes for the French Quarter Inn and were not disappointed. Personally, I stay in top hotels for business, and this hotel was right up there! The location was ideal for shopping, restaurants, horse and buggy ride, etc. The staff demonstrated why it's called "Southern Charm." They were always friendly and attentive. In fact, the lovely women at the front desk served as our concierge and everything she suggested was spot-on!

We enjoyed the simple breakfast. It was just enough for us in the morning, and of course, the wine and cheese and milk and cookies were the perfect way to end a busy day.

I highly recommend this hotel and we'll return whenever we come back to Charleston.

Room Tip: Try to get a floor that's not where the front desk is located. Busy area!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kxgriffin,

I am delighted to read your glowing review as it is praises like yours that keeps our team motivated and dedicated to be the best! I hope your travels back to New Jersey were pleasant. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Amherst, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We decided to start out our vacation with a stay at the French Quarter Inn. This was our first trip to Charleston and we were interested in staying in the city within walking distance from what the city has to offer. We did a carriage ride and walked around the market and many of the shops. Our stay at the Inn was more than we could have asked for. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. Our room was spotless. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was very spacious and had a lot of space to place all of our toiletries. The terrace was an amazing touch. Sitting on the terrace at night was very peaceful. We had breakfast delivered to the room and ate on the terrace the next morning. They offer refreshments in the lobby throughout the entire day (champagne, lemonade, tea, coffee, ect...). They also offer rose peddle turn down service and cold champagne at an extra cost. Very pleasant romantic surprise :-). During our stay I felt right at home. This inn is right in the middle of the busy city but they do a wonderful job of making you feel right at home. Definitely worth a second visit.

Room Tip: Top floor north west corner is a king room with a private terrace. View of the market.
Green Features: Each trashcan in the room is divided in half for recycle and trash.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Mary H,

I hope y'all are doing well up in beautiful Virginia, and I was delighted reading your thorough and highly praises review! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. We had two rooms (one for our two kids and one for us). They were clean and pretty large. There is not much of a view (except for the air conditioning on the roof next door). The free continental breakfast is simple but nice. There is tea and coffee in the afternoon and cookies and milk in the evening. Overall, it was a good experience. The one caveat was the front desk. They didn't seem to be able to get out of their own way. They forgot to call for our car, then forgot to cancel our reservation at a local restaurant. They just didn't have their act together at all. Still, as I said, great location, nice rooms.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Valerie Y,

I hope you are having a wonderful day and that your travels back home were pleasant! I am glad to read that you enjoyed our Inn, but as a passionate service professional, you can imagine that I am disappointed to read that we did not meet all of your expectations and for that, I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire team here. Nevertheless, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review of our Inn.

In regards to the Concierge team, I do believe our brand new Property Management System (went live August 1st) flustered our team greatly as it is a very intricate computer system that we are still doing our best to overcome. I apologize for this failure as our Concierge team really is the "face" of our world renowned service.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

Brent Gresham
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We are late 40 yo professionals who travel a fair amount for biz & leisure. FQI is a very fresh, pristine, elegant mid- size hotel w/ an air of class & Old World sophistication. If you prefer Euro styled decor & cruising on Oceania, then you will appreciate FQI. The hotel is open & airy, hallways spacious & bright. Staff is very friendly & helpful. Continental breakfast exceeded expectations plus daily wine/cheese & cookie/ milk receptions. While the room did not have a coffee maker, coffee bar is on each floor. Our room was spacious & well appointed. Pillow choices available. Bathroom was modern & roomy, adorned in marble. Valet had our car ready & waiting. Covered valet entrance is located on a side street unlike other hotels. This made for safe, easy, stress free luggage handling. FQI is in the heart of the bustling historic district near City Market, carriage tours & restaurants. (BTW, FIG, Cru Cafe, McCradys- fit for foodies) I was so tossed betw Charleston Place, in the same $ range, & was so glad I chose FQI. We walked inside CP. It is large, part of a chain w/ that atmosphere, hundreds of rooms, all gray marble lobby felt cold , loud & crowded, adjacent to a mall. FQI receives so many glowing & positive reviews, ranked #1 on tripadvisor, & we were not disappointed! If you seek luxury in a modern, classy, but non-stuffy, environment with so much added value, then FQI is a smart fantastic choice!

Dear IMHO X,

Wow! I thank you for such high praises, and we all hope your travels back to beautiful Florida were pleasant. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

French Quarter Inn

Been to French Quarter Inn? Share your experiences!