“Very romantic and indulgent birthday weekend!” 5 of 5 stars

Exclusive Savings & Perks
Ranked #1 of 54 hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfax, Virginia
“Very romantic and indulgent birthday weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a wonderful two night stay at the French Quarter Inn. My boyfriend booked the executive king suite with terrace and we loved our room (310)! It had a great view from the terrace. And you could hear the church bells from the room. From beginning to end, I felt like I was being spoiled by all the included extras like the welcome champagne, 5pm wine and cheese hour, late night milk and cookies, and port! And then when you wake up, you get a complimentary gourmet breakfast. One morning we had breakfast on the lobby patio and the other morning we had it delivered to the room. If you go downstairs, there is more variety than ordering it to your room. Plus they have champagne downstairs so you can make mimosas. I love the little touches like that curly orange rind on the champagne flute they give you. Or the mason jars they provide for the all day peach tea and lemonade service. They even place the coffee and tea service on each floor in the morning so you don't have to walk more than a few steps for your morning beverage. Let's not forget the sweet treats they leave in your room during turndown.

They also have bikes available for use but we didn't have a chance to take advantage. We did borrow a big umbrella since it was raining almost the whole time which came in handy. They also have beach towels available to borrow - you just have to sign a waiver. I personally found the bed a bit too soft but I do like my mattresses very firm. The location of the inn is great. Perfect for a stroll to King Street for some shopping and the open air market is steps from the inn. We rented a car for the trip and the valet service was generally quick. We loved our stay at the French Quarter Inn. It's no wonder why this inn was on Conde Nast's list of top ten hotels in the US. Now I'm home and missing wine and cheese hour. It's definitely a splurge to stay here but you feel pampered the entire time. The service is simply excellent.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear penguin80,

I hope your travels back to beautiful Virginia were pleasant! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, thank you for such an informative review as well as sharing such wonderful pictures!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

1,496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Boiling Springs, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Believe everything you've read about the French Quarter Inn. It is THE place to stay in Charleston, and I cannot wait to return. As great as the ammenities are -- breakfast, wine and cheese, cookies and milk -- it's the staff who really make this place special. Everyone we encountered -- Glori, Jenny, Faith, Philip, and the valets -- were polite, professional, and extremely helpful. They gave us some wonderful tips for sites to see in and around the city, and were so kind in many other ways. If you're looking for true southern hospitality. This is where you'll find it.

Dear jme90,

Let me first start by saying, Glori, Jenny, Faith, Philip all wanted me to make sure I tell you that they say hello! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I can't say enough wonderful things about French Quarter Inn. The staff is friendly, the facilities are charming, the rooms are very comfortable, and the little extras they offer really make a difference. The Inn is located in the heart of Historic Charleston and is a short walk to some of the best restaurants and historic homes and museums.

My family and I stayed at the Inn for 3 nights in July 2013 which was just the right amount of time for what we wanted to see and do in the Charleston area. The room had two really comfy queen beds which was great after having stayed at earlier hotels in Washington, D.C. and North Carolina which only had double beds. The free WiFi was a nice plus as well.

Every morning, we awoke to a wonderful breakfast downstairs where we could choose to eat indoors or outdoors on the patio (we also had the option of having breakfast brought up to our room). We could choose from organic Greek yogurt with fresh fruits, an assortment of very good breads and pastries (not the dry and processed-tasting types that you get at lower-end hotels), warm quiches, lots of fruits and delicious juices (my favorite was the grapefruit juice which is saying a lot because I normally don't like grapefruit juice). When we would return to the hotel in the middle of the day, we'd re-energize with the coffee, tea, lavender lemonade, and "detox water" that's available 24/7 as well as the endless supply of M&M's and Jelly Belly's. Every night, there was warm, homemade cookies and milk to help us slumber that much better.

Although the Inn was undergoing construction (remodeling the bathrooms), we weren't bothered or inconvenienced by the work. The staff would great about leaving us letters in our room with information about the construction work that day that may impact us.

I have no reservations in recommending that you stay at French Quarter Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear FromLosAltos,

I hope y'all are well over in beautiful California! I thank you so much for such an informative review. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have travelled all over the world as I buy apache and chinook helicopters as an attorney and I am a New Yorker.
I have never had such exemplary service in my life. I would like to tell my fellow TRIPADVISOR friends that I found this Inn on TRIPADVISOR due to the review of other guests and this is the most impressive Inn I have ever stayed at. I am also owner of the Amazing Grace Bed And Breakfast 1860 Plantation House where we do re-enactments of the Civil War.
Do you know the difference between a cemetary and a graveyard? A cemetary is always attached to a church. Kiawah is right around the area and I recommend you make sure to introduce yourself to Mr. Scott Martindale to ensure impeccable service but if you do not get that remarkable young man than see Sir Darryl or Sir Michael . Scott exceeded my recommendations. The rooms are incredible the lovliest I have ever been in and the expereince is unique. Trust me, this is the most accessible location and it is so fun to be in this location. I had my college age son and he was so happy here because there is so much to do. Listen to the recommendations the front desk staff will make for you and try to enjoy the lovely afternoon tea, the champagne breakfast and the wine and cheese which is par excellence. There is absolutely only positive overall and I rate them 100 plus. They have a better upscale elegant ambiance and every amenity is simply extraordinaire. Check in and leave the rest to them. Enjoy Charleston only with the French Quarter Inn. My husband is a wounded warrior Infantry Iraq and first responder 911 and the staff went beyond my expectations and they are very patriotic and American. Come celebrate a special event here at the French Quarter Inn just let the staff know and they will do the rest. Best Birthday celebration I ever had and the perfect venue for a coporate event or a wedding as well. Enjoy your special Charleston experience with the genteel and honorable team with Scott Martindale nd Sir Brent at the helm.

Room Tip: All rooms are extraordinary
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Lmendenhall,

Wow! I thank you so much for the high praises! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, Sir Scott, Sir Mike and Sir Daryl all say "hello and thank you!"

Asheville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had a great stay at the French Quarter. All of the staff were wonderful and pleasant. The wine and cheese every afternoon was great. The location was perfect for walking in downtown. And the restaurant in the lobby, Tristan, was awesome. We will certainly go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kirk B,

I hope y'all are doing well in beautiful Asheville! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked a room at the French Quarter Inn the week after Labor Day last year. After reading all the rave reviews on tripadvisor, I was really looking forward to staying at this property! I used my Delta points to stay two nights (Thursday through Saturday) for a room that would have cost more than $325 a night. When we arrived on Thursday afternoon, the first thought I had was, "Wow, what a great location!" And it is. You are literally right in the center of everything. We pulled up to the area where the bellman and valet were supposed to meet us but nobody was there. It was a little after 2pm so we figured maybe they were with other guests, in the middle of a shift change or something else and decided to wait. We waited... and waited... and waited some more. After 25 minutes I went inside to go upstairs to start the check-in process. On my way, I saw a bellman who said they were "Very busy" and would be with us momentarily. I checked in, came back down and the car was still there with the person I was traveling with and all our bags inside. I went back inside to grab a luggage cart and at this point one of the young men who worked there was coming down the stairs. He told me that they would have to help us with the cart and luggage because of hotel policy. He went on to explain further that they could not be held liable if the cart tipped and we injured ourselves or another guest, or we damaged a wall with the cart. Seriously??? It was now after 3pm and it was pretty hot that day. I explained that we had been waiting for someone to take our bags to our room and valet the car for over an hour. The young man suggested I leave the car and belongings there and someone would bring everything up to the room for us. I was not thrilled with this idea but we were hot, sweaty, thirsty and tired of wasting time so I finally agreed to give him the keys after he promised to keep the car locked until they unloaded it. We went upstairs, got some water and juice and went to our room. The hotel lobby, staircase and veranda are all beautiful but I have to say, when we walked into the room, we were a bit disappointed. The room was not very big, there was no balcony nor view to really speak of and the bathroom was completely average - think Hampton Inn. Now there is nothing wrong with Hampton Inn - I've stayed in quite a few but really, I expected much more from this property. It was after 4pm when we finally got our luggage and while the young man did apologize for the delay, there was really no explanation behind it. The rest of the staff at FQI are very nice and aside from the not-so-good experience upon arrival, I felt they really did their best to assist guests. The walls are a little thin and we did hear noise from adjoining rooms and one of the sitting areas outside but the bed was quite comfortable. In all fairness, this is a good hotel with some very nice qualities and lovely touches and as I stated early on, you can't beat the location but I can't say it was "outstanding" or "exceptional" and as someone who travels frequently and has stayed in some truly remarkable places, I'm sorry to say that I do think FQI is a bit overpriced & just don't understand how this hotel has been consistently ranked #1 in Charleston.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear RDUTravelGirl,

I hope you are doing well in beautiful Richmond! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we appreciate your opinioned review, and we sincerely apologize that we did not fully meet your expectations during your visit with us a year ago. I thank you for the details you provided, and I assure you we already have and will continue to address those legitimate failures. Since your visit last September, we have underwent a multi-million dollar bathroom renovation, and I urge you to view these pictures on our website and social media sites as I am confident you will find these to be world-class luxury. This past winter we also invested nearly an additional quarter million dollars into the guestrooms and public areas of the Inn being that we are well aware that there are other great lodging establishments in the area. Our management team and owners stay 100% committed to continually enhancing all aspects of our Inn. I do hope you may consider staying with us again when you are in the area with the hopes that you will see some of our exceptional enhancements, and if you do decide to visit us again, I please ask that you contact me directly as it will be my pleasure to personally coordinate your stay with us. Feel free to call me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family. 843.724.4340.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

From the time of our arrival until after we checked out - the entire staff made you feel like you were special. The complimentary extras were amazing. Besides an excellent breakfast there were treats and detox water, peach tea, and juice available throughout the day. The location was perfect. We were within walking distance from all the places we wanted to go. The rooms were exceptionally quite and very comfortable. Unfortunately it rained a lot while we were in Charleston, but the hotel loaned us one of their umbrellas so we were able to continue our tours. Our flight home was after check out time. The bell men held our luggage and even remembered us when we went to collect it. The limo service was great too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Unfortunately we are having a very rainy summer so far, but we keep umbrellas here so you don’t have to think about that! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope all is well back in Texas!

Brent Gresham
French Quarter Inn

Been to French Quarter Inn? Share your experiences!