“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Portrush, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Old world accommodation in Historic district. So central we were able to walk everywhere. Hotel is beside market. (Carriage rides from near the market are well worth it )Complimentary wine and cheese each evening was a nice touch. Staff friendly and helpful. Would recommend.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for the recommendation! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope your travels back to the beautiful UK were pleasant!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

The reason we come back every time is the wonderful staff. When you walk in and are greeted by name after six months you know you are in the right place. This is a hotel that is worth every penny and then some. We always stay in the same room because we love the view but every room is wonderful and spacious. Breakfast is a great way to start the day whether it is delivered to your room or enjoyed downstairs. The staff goes out of their way to make sure your visit is perfect- even finding you a pair of pliers and helping fix your bracelet! Our housekeeper was so very sweet- Rose took the time to greet us each morning and always ask what our plans were for the day and how our day was yesterday. She also took the time to find me a vase for the beautiful roses from my husband. Their valet service is excellent. Might I add that I WILL NOT valet my car anywhere else but think nothing of handing these men my keys. The front desk staff is fabulous. Always taking the time to greet you and ask if there is anything they can do. All in all I am counting down my days to going back again!!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for all of the wonderfully kind notes about our team! It is always great to hear that my staff has gone above and beyond to make guests feel like they are part of the French Quarter Inn family. I will make sure Ms. Rose sees your wonderful comments; she is a true asset to our team. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just returned from a week in Charleston for Spoleto and, because we put our trip together a little at a time, we ended up staying in three different hotels. It was a bit of a pain but it allowed me to compare my favorite Charleston hotel (un-named) with a potential new one -- The French Quarter Inn. And the FQI won. We had stayed here once before when it first opened but we were in and out and I didn't get a chance to enjoy the amenities. This time I did and the place really performs. Great location, intimate service (when you check in you're offered champagne),lots of other little bonuses. Plus, I love all the outside seating spaces which are perfect for having a drink and looking over the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to be your new favorite Charleston hotel! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope your travels back to beautiful Columbia were pleasant!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just spent five nights of our Honeymoon at the FQI Rooms are lovely, location great, lots of wonderful amenities. I agree with all of the other reviews that this is just a fantastic choice in Charleston. As others have mentioned, the breakfasts, wine and cheese receptions and milk & cookies are top notch.

I want to mention that I LOVE the abundance of towels in the bathrooms. It is such a luxury to have so many without having to call housekeeping for more. Love the water bottles delivered in the evening with the turn down service. The yummy chocolates as well. So many little extras!

Now the best part, THE STAFF!!!! They are ALL fantastic. Thank you in particular to Marvin, Jenny, Glori & Michelle, and Scott. Your warmth. hospitality, efficiency, smiles,conversation etc. could not be measured.

You all helped to assure that we had a wonderful honeymoon.

Stay at this property, you will never regret your choice if you do.

Sincerely, the Honeymooners from Brooklyn, NY

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed each of our special amenities, and overjoyed that you had such a wonderful experience with our team! We would like to congratulate you again on your wedding and hope to have you stay with us again. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope all is well back in Brooklyn!

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our first anniversary in 2002. The hotel, new at the time, was running a $99 a night special. Those were the good old days. We stayed there once a year for the next few years, but with rising prices we were finally priced out about 3 years ago. We still visit Charleston annually, but stay elsewhere.

The hotel is gorgeous and but for one mishap, which was bad but eventually remedied, we've always had a nice stay. I know that there are rooms less expensive than $379 so check with French Quarter directly. If you can afford it, you won't be disappointed. (I did not stay here in July 2012 as indicated. I had to pick a date to submit this review)

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We would like to thank you for staying with us on several occasions. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Our room rates do fluctuate with occupancy and season, so room rates tend to be less in the Winter months compared to the Spring months. From time to time we also offer specials through our email list, and I encourage you to contact us directly if we can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I put a lot of thought into this review before leaving it. It was really a tough choice between 3 and 4 stars.

Pros:

-Awesome location: right next to the Charleston market, and within walking distance of all the best restaurants
-Incredible customer service: I've never had a nicer or more helpful front-desk staff. Even the cleaning staff was nice. 5-star service, all the way around
-Perks: free champagne, free cookies, cheese/wine/crackers, the list goes on. It's really nice.
-Finishings: Rooms, corridors, staircases, etc., are all very nice (but not perfect, see below)

Cons:

-Location: Although in a convenient area, the immediate area surrounding the hotel is nasty. The front entrance is directly across from the back-side of a restaurant, so you deal with employees smoking outside in the back, trash pickup (very noisy if you have a room at the front of the hotel), deliveries, etc. Also, there is a nasty stop-in food-mart just down the street from the hotel that gave me the creeps every time I walked by. There aren't any other hotels in better locations than the FQI, but there are some B&Bs that are in nicer locations. I'd consider those next time I visit Charleston.
-TV/internet: No HD service in the rooms. Why do I need a 42" wide-screen TV if I don't have HD? The TV quality was terrible, and the channel lineup was limited. Again, not a big deal, but not worthy of 5-stars. The internet was slow, too. Why is it so hard to get high-speed internet in a hotel in 2013? Especially when you pay so much for the room...
-Room design: Something about our room enabled us to hear running water every time adjacent guests took showers, flushed toilets, etc. The sound of running water actually woke me up one morning. That's a sign of a poor design, and again, you shouldn't hear that in a 5-star hotel.

The FQI is obviously a great hotel. However, you're also paying a great price to stay (not including a $20/day parking fee), so you should expect the best. I'm holding the FQI to very high standards. I'll give them 4 stars for the service, the location, and the perks. But they're just not at the 5-star level yet. I'd think very seriously about staying in a B&B if you don't want to deal with the less-than-stellar surroundings at the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a balcony, it's not worth it. Ask for a room on the market side of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear keVuVa,

I hope you are well back home in beautiful Virginia! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. In regards to the surrounding areas of the Inn, we have and continue to work with local business owners to beautify the area, and I am glad to say we are making progress! We actually just installed new flower boxes down our street as we received approval from one of the local businesses. As for HD television in our guestrooms, I am happy to say that all televisions and cable boxes will be upgraded early 2014 as already received approval from our owners! Regarding the sound of water in the rooms, I apologize for that inconvenience, and we are researching the noise and hope to resolve immediately.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The French Quarter Inn is the very best inn to book in Charleston. The location is right in the heart of the city. The staff welcomes us back and we are treated like family. Breakfast, wine and cheese and freshly made cookies at night are a tradition not to be missed. Each and every member of staff takes the time to make sure guests are all "special". Rooms are great and those with terraces overlooking the market add even more enjoyment to a stay at FQI.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful. For extra special, reserve one with a terrace.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am elated to hear that our team made you feel like family and that you were able to enjoy one of our terrace rooms while staying with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

French Quarter Inn

Been to French Quarter Inn? Share your experiences!