“Service and details made this a dream come true wedding stay” 5 of 5 stars

Romance Package
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kettering, Ohio
“Service and details made this a dream come true wedding stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

On 12/22/12, my daughter and her husband were married in a small, private ceremony at the French Quarter Inn. Four of us stayed in two rooms (3rd floor - each with a terrace) for 5 nights. Both rooms were comfortable, clean, and quiet. We slept very soundly which is not usually the case for any of us when staying in hotels. The terraces provided a chance to relax in the sun with views of the Market Square and St. Phillip's steeple. EVERY person we encountered was friendly and very helpful. This high level of service started 5 months earlier when I contacted the FQI concerning our desire to have a destination wedding in Charleston. The Guest & Group Services Manager, Scott Martindale, returned my call and over the next few months, Scott helped me to coordinate the details of my daughter's wedding. He was a great help and when we arrived for our stay, I felt like I was greeting an old friend when Scott came out to our car to welcome us. Throughout our stay, Scott checked in with us and took care of details as they came up (in-room massages, rose petals in the room for the newlyweds, receipt of the cake and bouquet, setting up the reception cart that included champagne, and helping the groom with his tie). We had initially thought we would hold the wedding ceremony on one of our terraces, but decided to have it take place in front of the fountain on the patio outside of the lobby. Scott had some of the lobby greenery and poinsettias moved to the patio for the ceremony. It was beautiful and perfect for us. All of this 'extra' wedding service was in addition to the daily delicious breakfast that awaited us in the lobby each morning; the beverages available in the lobby throughout the day; the abundant wine and cheese spread each late afternoon; and the evening cookies and milk. Jenny at the front desk was helpful and fun with ideas for exploring the area and trying great restaurants. I hope to see these friends again when I return to Charleston for another stay at the French Quarter Inn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Anne C,

Wow! I thank you for such an amazing and detailed review! Scott truly is the epitome of a "service professional" and it is great to see it is noticed by our guests. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have stayed at the French Quarter Inn several times and it never disappoints. The people are great and very helpful recommending and placing reservations at local restaurants etc. Free Breakfast every morning in the lobby or delivered to your room. Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Tea, Juice, etc all day in the lobby. Evening wine, cheese, etc in the lobby, Then at 8:30 pm milk and cookies along with the other goodies. Turn down service at night with chocolates and ice.
This is located in the Market area a great place to stay.

Dear esnewton2012,

I hope all is well down in sunny Florida! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I love the chocolates too!

Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

the other reviews here say it all, and our experience was the same. great extras make the stay comfortable and convenient...and save you money too, which you can factor into the cost of the room. our room was fine, not the nicest ive seen, nice big bathroom, but the shower surround was a bit drab and the grout was a bit crusty...but super comfortable beds and quiet rooms are what really matter in the end. we will be back.

Room Tip: rm 315 double queen was quiet and comfortable....but basic and bath/shower needs updating.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear hhilocallivin,

I hope y'all are having a wonderful day and that your travels back to beautiful Hilton Head Island were pleasant! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, I am delighted to inform you that we now have (23) of our (50) bathrooms renovated...I know you will absolutely love them as they are the height in luxury!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I arrived at the hotel at 6:30pm. Unfortunately, the evening wine and cheese ended at 6pm. The woman at the check-in desk said she would see what she could do. She came back with a plate loaded with cheese, crackers and fruit and a HUGE glass of red wine. What a treat.

The hotel is beautiful from the common areas to the hotel rooms. Every morning starts with a magnificent "continental" breakfast. I've never had such a selection at a continental breakfast! (Mimosas every morning!). In the afternoon there is wine and cheese and warm cookies and dessert wine at around 10pm ... EVERY DAY! Additionally, there is coffee, tea and lemonade available throughout the day.

The location is perfect - when you walk out the front door you are a block from the retail area including the outdoor market.

And although the hotel is beautiful and the location is perfect ... the best part of the French Quarter Inn is the staff. They are pleasant at all times and willing to help in any way they can.

You cannot go wrong with this hotel!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marianne F,

I hope all is well in the "Great State" of Texas! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your high praises about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, the mimosas are a big hit with everyone...a nice way to start your day!

Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the French Quarter Inn for 2 nights shortly after Thanksgiving. Jenny, the front desk attendant, was very kind and upgraded us to the Queen Junior Suite for 1 out of 2 nights (due to availability we couldn't stay there for both nights, but that was okay with us).

The amenities here were excellent. No - they didn't have your typical amenities such as a pool or a gym, but that's not really what we look for when we go on vacations. We were treated to a glass of sparkling wine during check-in, flavored teas and lemonade, coffee, hot chocolate, hot cider, egg nog, and board games were available throughout the day. They even had cinnamon sticks, peppermint, and marshmallows to complement the beverages. There is also a wine and cheese reception that starts at 5pm, which includes 2 red wines and 2 white wines, approximately 3 cheeses, grapes, and a variety of crackers. The wine and cheese alone wasn't anything special, but paired with good company, a spot in front of the fireplace, and a board game made the experience all the more special. Or, if you have a balcony or terrace, you can bring the wine back to your room and enjoy the view of Market Square. Cookies and milk are also served from 8pm-10pm. Since we had late reservations one night, one of the staff members offered to bring the cookies and milk to our room, just in case we missed the spread. I thought this was a nice touch.

Breakfast is also included in your stay. They have a selection of hard-boiled eggs, croissants, yogurt, berries, etc. You can opt to get breakfast yourself or have it delivered to you in the morning, no extra charge. The selection isn't as varied when you have it delivered and there is no sparkling wine option. When you get breakfast yourself, you can make your own mimosas!

The French Quarter Inn is very conveniently located. Everything is just a short walk away. The front desk staff offered to have us picked up for our carriage tour, but we opted to walk there instead, especially since we experienced such beautiful weather. It turns out, the carriage tour was about a 5 minute walk away. The cooking class that we attended was about 5-7 minutes away and all of our dining experiences were within walking distance. We never took our car out of valet.

Overall, all of the staff, from the front desk attendants to the woman in charge of the wine and cheese reception, I believe her name is Lilit, were super courteous. Even the gentlemen in charge of construction (the hotel is under renovation) were courteous and fairly invisible.

The only downside of this trip was the broken glass that we found on our floor from a wine glass. Apparently, during turndown service, one of the maids broke a wine glass by our bed. Although she cleaned up most of the pieces, some of the pieces remained which resulted in my husband cutting the bottom of his foot. It could have been worse, but they could have done a better job cleaning, or at least making us aware of the situation so we didn't injure ourselves.

Room Tip: If you are celebrating a special occasion, try the Queen Suite!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear MayshaZ,

I hope your travels back to beautiful Connecticut as well as your Christmas were pleasant and merry! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words and the extremely detailed review of our charming inn. I can see that you are a well-traveled individual, so I am delighted to read that y'all loved our Inn!

Furthermore, I cannot thank you enough for bringing to our attention about the piece of broken glass by your bed stand. As you can imagine, we take broken glass very seriously in which also involves many steps on our behalf to resolve the matter, and I sincerely apologize to you and your husband that our team missed a piece; this failure has been brought to attention to the entire team, and I assure you that we will revise and fine-tune our procedures for broken glass.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family, and I wish y'all a happy and healthy New Year!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We chose the French Quarter Inn based on Trip Advisor reviews and they were on target.

When we had an early check-in at 10:30, they wished my husband a happy birthday (I mentioned it in the reservation), and upgraded us to a suite overlooking the city market and wtih a view of the Ravenel bridge. The room was tastefully appointed with Gilchrist and Soames toiletiries and many towels. There was a mini-fridge, a 40 inch TV with Blu Ray, and WiFi.

I booked a private carriage ride with the hotel and they made the arrangements for us and even sent over the voucher.

The location was in the heart of downtown. It was a couple of blocks from the waterfront and from King Street. We could walk down to the Battery in less than 20 minutes and also walk to dinner. The city market was right outside.

The food in the lobby was wonderful - pastries/yogurt/granola/coffee/juice for breakfast, M&Ms and Jelly Bellies with tea, detox water (water with lemon, mint and cucumber - refreshing) and juice, if I recall. There was wine available with cheese every night at 5:30 and after dinner, they put out freshly baked cookies and milk.

The staff could not have been nicer, especially Marvin at the front desk. They called us a cab and a pedi cab for our various outings, and they were pleasant. The room service is prompt and efficient. The cost was very reasonable, in my opinion, compared to the rates of some other luxury hotels.

I would recommend the French Quarter Inn to anyone visiting Charleston.

Dear FuninPhx71,

I hope y'all are well in our nation's capitol! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words and detailed review about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Marvin was grateful and thrilled that you acknowledge his service efforts, and we hope to see y'all again!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Inn has been remodeled since our last stay in 2005. It was great then and even better now. We arrived a bit early but they had our room already so we were able to unload and walk the Historic District. Our room, 101, a King Bedroom with separate sitting area, fire place (not needed on this trip) and balcony overlooking St. Philip's. The room was very nice and comfortable. The staff were great. Thoroughly enjoyed the welcome Champagne, the Wine and Cheese Reception as well as the Gourmet Continental Breakfast. Highly recommend this Inn.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors and have not any any bad experience. You will hear Tr...
Dear wctrvlr,

I hope all is well back in beautiful Myrtle Beach, and it was great having y'all back at our Inn! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

French Quarter Inn

Been to French Quarter Inn? Share your experiences!