“Great Town, Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

15% Savings + Added Perks
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Town, Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Based on Trip Advisor reviews, my wife and I chose to stay at the French Quarter Inn for our trip to Charleston. The French Quarter Inn is just a fantastic place to stay. Our room was spotless with its own private balcony overlooking the Market Place. The service was outstanding and the staff do everything possible to make you feel welcome and special. We were greeted with a welcome glass of champagne on our arrival and wine and cheese every afternoon. The location couldn't be better, right in downtown Charleston within walking distance of almost everything. It's not cheap, but if you can afford it, don't pass it up!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
FQIAGM, Assistant General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the property and we greatly appreciate your compliments of our service. We strive to ensure each guest receives excellent service and we appreciate it when our guests let us know that we succeeded. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

From the moment we arrived with 3 children in tow, the staff and surroundings were just perfect. Our car was parked for us (one less worry in this walking city.) We strode up a circular stairway into the lobby, with its antique furniture, M&M's and cools refreshments for the children and an afternnoon glass of wine.

Our spacious rooms were immaculate and beautiful in shades of blue, with a desk and foyer in another small comfy outer room. We had a balcony that overlooked the historic buildings.
I think the staff was helpful and encouraged the children to enjoy themselves!. In the evening, they even brought us pralines.

Tea and coffee were refreshed every few hours in the hall refreshment area.

The outdoor terrace downstairs to read and relax on were enjoyed.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony overlooking the historic market.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
As we enter our summer season we see in the influx of children at the hotel, which we truly enjoy. Their pure excitement over the M&M’s, jelly beans, and milk and cookies gets us excited too. Thank you for choosing the French Quarter Inn as part our family vacation. We truly enjoyed having you and hope you return soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Maybe I just hit this place on an off weekend, but I wasn't impressed with the service or "charm" that so many have mentioned, and I really hate having to write this review. I sincerely hope this review helps. I did my research before my stay here and I almost always have good luck with hotels I find on Trip....but not this time. I stayed in a Jr. executive suite that was $500+/ night. When I made the reservation, I was told this was all they had available. After arriving to find the hotel nearly abandoned in the middle of the day, I'm starting to think that wasn't the case. I really regret calling the hotel directly and paying top dollar for my "suite" - it simply wasn't worth it. I usually don't even pay attention to how much I spend on a room...but goodness, to spend that much here is just a compete waste... A very good friend of mine was coming to see me and I thought I would find somewhere specal to take her for her first visit to Charleston. I wanted someplace that wasn't a chain - a hotel that had good service and that was comfortable and accommodating. I was completely disapponted. Not that I really cared, but we were never offered champagne or ladyfingers or anything like that when we checked in. Maybe they are not doing that anymore? In fact, the whole check-in procedure was an absolute disaster. We had to wait close to 30 minutes to get checked in and there was only one other person in the lobby! The manager walked by a few times, but did not seem concerned about our wait. We were hot and tired after our long drive, but there was no relief in sight. The lady who was at the front desk had to actually make an effort to ignore us (usually someone will tell you that they will be with you in a moment) - she did not even acknowledge that we were there. Not really my idea of good service. When we finally did check in, our room wasn't ready. Although I asked for an early check-in when I called and was told that it would not be a problem, they acted like I was asking for the moon. I did not complain. I tried to be understanding and patient. We said we would go and walk around for a bit. They said thank you, took my cell number, and told me they would call when the room was ready. 3:00 - nothing. 4:00 - nothing. 5:00 - nothing. We finally wandered back to the hotel and found out that they had just finished getting our room ready. Maybe they had to travel back to 1989 to get the curtains? They did not even apologize for failing to call. Gosh, it was their idea. The "suite" they put us in was next to the lobby and the kitchen. 101, I believe. We heard doors slaming and housekeeping thumping around all morning. The bed was comfortable and the room was big and clean. After a few hours, the room finally cooled off (the air was off before - sounds like nobody was even there the night before). Everything in th room was extremely outdated. When I say outdated, I don't mean that it was old fashioned and charming or had decor from the 20's... I mean that it looked shabby, worn, and no-frill. It was kind of like an extremely big Holiday Inn room from 1989. I remember thinking to myself, so this place must be where floral prints go to die. While normally I would say that it's just a matter of taste, I just don't see how anyone would be impressed with the mediocre decor and ambiance. I just can't understand how anyone would feel like the room was luxiourios. Maybe I could have put this aside, had they offered better service or been considerate enough to not to have wasted my day there because they could not manage to properly run a half full hotel. I actually tried to bood my room for both nights, but I was told the hotel was fully committed! No chance. So this isn't a totally negative review, on a positive note, the wine and cheese was a nice touch (kind of B&B style - not really what I look for in a town with a million great restaurants); the patio by the lobby was absolutely lovely; the staircase is pretty; the bed was comfortable; the location was perfect; and the concierge was very helpful in finding us a good restaurant that suited our mood (wasn't there for a romantic dinner; wasn't there to meet men - just a bunch of married gals getting away for the weekend to explore a charming city where I have spent substantial time). I still regret not tipping here - I thought I would get her on the way back, but dinner took longer than expected. The breakfast was mediocre at best - we couldn't use the sugar packets because they gave us old ones that were coffee stained and impossible to use - also, the milk for the coffee was outdated. Whatever, I just think that's gross. And your other selections were store bought muffins and flat bagles... Gee, really? Again, I'm so disappointed because I really wanted this to be a special place and was so excited after reading all of the wonderful reviews. I travel a LOT for work, and I've stayed at all sorts of hotels. My preference is to stay in boutique hotels, but this one just didn't hit the mark. By the way, I filled out the comment card there, but was never contacted. I almost never take the time to do something like that, but I figured the management would want to know about my experience. The fact that they did not even bother to call demonstrates their attitude towards their guests. Sorry to disappoint if you were planning to stay here.

• Stayed May 2011
FQIAGM, Assistant General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
Our sincerest and deepest apologies for your stay not living up to your expectations. We cannot begin to describe the disappointment we feel for failing to provide you with excellent service and luxury accommodations that we are known for. The entire team at the French Quarter Inn is dedicated to ensure that each guest experiences nothing but the best when they stay with us. Obviously in your experience we have failed and for that we are truly sorry. We wish to convey that if we had been notified of your disappointment during your time with us, we would have made every effort to make up for our shortcomings and ensure the remainder of your stay would have been what you had hoped. We would like to be given the opportunity to make up for our shortcomings and welcome you back at the French Quarter Inn. Again our apologies.
Lady fingers and Champagne are served daily at 3 pm, when check-in time begins. We are always willing to take early check in requests, unfortunately they cannot be guaranteed as it does depend on what time the previous guest checks out. Typically we take phone numbers for early arrivals so that we can call them if their room becomes available before 3 pm, at which time all rooms are guaranteed to be ready.
We have just finished a two-year renovation of the hotel to transform the original French country décor to a French urban décor that encompasses design elements of the classic French Empire and the softness of Louis XV. All furniture was upgraded to custom wood pieces with granite tops, all couches and chairs were replaced with custom designed pieces, lamps were designed to offer varying degrees of light to fit each guests’ preferences, all wallpaper was removed and replaced with a soft golden yellow to tie together the regal reds and glistening gold of the fabrics and the black and white furniture. The art work is the final phase in our renovation which will take place in the beginning of 2012 and will bring the streets of Paris to Charleston and complete the designers dream.
Our gourmet continental breakfast features many options to include an assortment of pastries from a local bakery that are delivered fresh daily, cereals, yogurts, fresh sliced fruit, and fresh whole fruit, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, granola bars, sliced bagels and breads also from the bakery, and an assortment of juices, milk, teas, and coffee. We work diligently to ensure that only the freshest items are available and that no expired beverages are served.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We arrived last evening (June 9th). Upon arrival, valet service asked if we needed assistance with our bags, and i politely declined. We went up to the 1st floor and checked in to a friendly smile. The staff informed us of the daily events at the inn. We went to our well decorated room that had robes, comfortable beds, and great pillows. After we sat for a few minutes, we made it to their wine/cheese reception. They had a variety of wines, and 3 types of cheese, grapes, and crackers. It was great, and felt good to have a sip of wine upon arriving. We went out to explore Charleston for the evening, and came back to have complimentary champagne and cookies. Our beds had been turned down in the meantime, with fresh chocolates from a local business. We woke up early the next day, and went to their breakfast serivce. They had 3 juices, coffee, milk. Selection of food was impressive. They had different types of yogurt including Activia, granola bars, bread, bagels, oatmeal, cereal, the best crossaints and danishes ( Ihad two danishes....yum...cheese for one, and strawberry for another). Anyway, the price of the hotel is worth it, and the location is within steps of the market. We are in the heart of Charleston. Service is the best I have experienced, and we go to quite a few luxury hotels.

Luckily, we are staying one more night, so I get to relive the life of luxury 1 more day.

Room Tip: Book Early
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Your gracious compliments and detailed review is most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to complete such a wonderful review while you were still staying with us. We are glad that you enjoyed all aspects of our offerings and we hope the remaining day in your stay was just as wonderful as your first. Again thank you and we look forward to your return.
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

We spent two wonderful nights at the French Quarter Inn and loved every minute of our stay. We were greeted warmly and delightfully with a glass of champagne on arrival. Reservations were made for us for dinner at two restaurants - one of our choosing and one a recommendation of the young woman helping us. We were encouraged to make both immediately because of the Spoleto Festival. We had a king-sized room on the third floor - very nicely furnished - and a large black and white tiled bathroom complete with two fluffy terry robes. Breakfast is included in the price and there's a very nice selection. Wine and cheese and fruit were served every evening and were much enjoyed. Cookies (yummy) and coffee were served later at night - all courtesy of the hotel. The public areas are very upscale and there is comfortable and varied seating. Right outside our room in the hallway was a complete coffee and tea table which was available at all times - great for that first cup of coffee in the morning and a cup of tea in the afternoon. The Inn is so centrally located that we could walk everywhere. Worth every penny of the $250 a night we paid.

Room Tip: Parking is $17 a night.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your recent trip to Charleston. We are delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we appreciate your glowing compliments of our service and amenities. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Rumford, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Spent a night at The FQI and was thoroughly satisfied. Service was friendly, welcoming and helpful. True southern charm. Room was unique and comfortable. Modern and efficient.

Nice touch with a beverage station in the hallway, good coffee and quality assortment of teas. Very convenient.

The hotel is "spiral", with three floors and 50 rooms. Some like that, some may not. Lobby is cozy, not spacious or glitzy. Restaurant (didn't eat there) looks high-end but seemed to lack a bar - none in the lobby either. View from common area balcony's on 2nd and 3rd floor is not all it's cracked up to be......you end up seeing the tops of ugly roofs more so than the steeple in the background. No big deal to me, BTW.

Ideally located, right near market and close walk to main streets filled with restaurants, bars and shopping. GREAT city. Like it much better than its commonly compared-to Savanna, GA.

I'd stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Southern charm and a cozy intimate home away from home is the atmosphere that we desire to offer. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate you taking the time to complete a review. Being in the heart of historic Charleston, right on the open market, and within walking distance to the historical and shopping districts does force us to compromise direct views from the balconies. But the Charleston sky line famous for its abundance of church steeples is definitely visible over smaller historical rooftops. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We spent 6 days/5 nights at your wonderful hotel. From the moment we walked through the door, through to check out, we were always met with hospitality and kindness. The staff was remarkable...thank you Donna and Mike for your assistance with everything from making sure we had champagne, a good movie and dinner reservations! Between the delicious breakfasts, wines and cheeses and cookies and milk...my husband never went hungry!

The room was beautiful, the staff was very accommodating, the location of the hotel was fantastic.

We had an opportunity to dine at Tristans and it was wonderful! I highly recommend Sunday brunch. The wait staff was great at Tristans...Grant was very attentive. I also recommend Blossom (the rainbow trout was GREAT!!!!). And if you happen to stop by TOAST, try the peach stuffed french toast...super.

This was my husband's third time to Charleston and my first, and I can see why he wanted to return to your lovely city. I have already informed my "girls" about the hotel and we are looking forwad to our next girls vacation!

Thank you again for the beautiful memories. I look forward to another trip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Your gracious compliments and raving review have brought a rather large smile to our faces. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are overjoyed that you enjoyed all of our amenities and that are service was to the southern charm standards. We look forward to the girls getaway trip and to the return of you and your husband.

Been to French Quarter Inn? Share your experiences!