“Nothing very special” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Cromwell, CT
“Nothing very special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We just came back from a weeks stay at the Hampton Inn in Charleston and agree with most of the other reviews. Our room was very clean and the breakfast buffet was extremely plentiful. Some of the staff there were helpful & pleasant, but many of the young people working at the front desk made it very clear that they did not want to be bothered. One evening when we entered the hotel, there were 3 young ladies working behind the front desk and none of them even bothered to look up at us. It would have been nice if one of them had said "hello" or "good evening". Maybe I'm being picky, but I thought that their behavior was a little rude and lacked any "Southern Hospitality". Just a little warning.....this property is on the very edge of the historical district. Without the free shuttle service, it is a fairly long walk to everything downtown. Plus, the shuttle stops for the day around 9:00 p.m. and the walk back to the hotel is very dark. Although I did not have any major issues with this hotel, next time I would choose one closer to the market area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HotelManagement345, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I was so sorry to read that the entire team did not exude anything but graciousness and Southern Hospitality while you were here. Please rest assured that your comments will be seen by everyone here and we will do all we can to make sure that our team knows that they are visible to everyone at anytime and this does not fit our model of Charm and Hospitality. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future so we can put our best foot forward for you like it should have been done already.

Thanks for your comments and your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here for our family vacation this summer and it was a wonderful experience. The hotel is extremely clean and well maintained with a lovely garden and pool area. We try to choose Hampton Inns when we travel but this one is very special - it feels more like an upscale hotel! The breakfasts were pretty standard Hampton Inn fare. The staff, from housekeeping all the way to the GM were awesome and very helpful! The location, for the price, can't be beat. It is directly across the street from the Visitors Center where you can catch the free trolleys You can't beat this hotel for a great, comfortable, convenient stay in Charleston. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard have a lovely view and are very quiet.
Conway, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have stayed in this Hampton Inn twice since my last review. I have never had any problems whatsoever. I get checked in quickly. The front desk is very accommodating. They seem to remember me from my previous visits ( if they really don't they are very good liars ) I already have another visit scheduled. They offer complimentary tea, coffee and hot chocolate set up in the lobby all day and night. Fresh fruit basket for your helping. I also have seen a tray full of cookies appear once in awhile. Very ample breakfast in the morning. You won’t go hungry.

I like this area because you can park your car (parking is extra) and never see it again until you are ready to leave. You can walk or take the free Visitor shuttle which is right across the street to just about anywhere in Charleston with on and off privileges. (This might be daytime hours only)
Restaurants within easy walking distance

Room Tip: All the rooms that I have stayed in seem to be the same. I would definitely stay away from the ice...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Westerville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Hotel is in an excellent spot in the historical district. Excellent staff. Friendly and helpful. I would stay again in a heartbeat. Nice pool and excellent condition. The front desk got us in our room early and helped with suggesting tours so we could maximize our day

charleston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Hampton inn in the historic district is a great hotel for Food and Siteseeing of charleston, walking distance to most everything downtown. My experience with the hotel staff was great and my family enjoyed experiencing charleston as a vacation. I would recommend to my friends and family this hotel and this city to experience the hospitality of the historic city of charleston.

phoenix, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The location is prime...walking distance to everything. The breakfast is amazing. The staff is friendly. Although the rooms could use a little updating, it's not a big deal. The lobby area is bright and clean. Beds and Pillows very comfy. Lot's of nice towels provided.

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel, and I have to say I was surprised at how nice it was. I will say this, it is expensive for a Hampton Inn, but reasonable for the quality of this hotel and its location. The staff at this hotel is very friendly and helpful. I arrived at the hotel at 11:00 am, and asked if I could check in. The lady at the front desk said that there were no rooms available yet, but she would call me as soon as one was. She took down my number, but I did not really count a a phone call. I parked the car in the garage next door and decided I would just wait in the lobby. Well, as I was walking down the stars of the garage, my cell phone rang. It was the nice lady from the front desk letting me know my room was ready. WOW!
Overall the hotel is VERY clean, and the rooms are fairly modern. I know some people on here think it is crazy to pay what this hotel often charges, but please keep in mind this is a prime location, and you pay for that. It is no different than a Hampton Inn in Savannah, or New York City. However, if you don't want to pay historic district prices, there are tons of other options away from this area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District? Share your experiences!