“Beautiful Property with Large Suites” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA members get 10% off
Ranked #28 of 54 hotels in Charleston
North Huntingdon, PA
“Beautiful Property with Large Suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this property. If you are not opposed to being a few miles outside of the historic Charleston area this is a great choice. The suite we stayed in with a kitchen was very spacious. It did have an odd layout in the bathroom area. I loved the British Isles inspired decor in the lobby. The outside of the property is very attractive.

I did have two minor issues here. One dealt with housekeeping. We returned to our room and found a bag of trash that was taken out of a waste basket sitting on a clothing item I have left on the dresser. Secondly, my husband and I returned late one evening following a concert. Neither one of our keys worked in a side entrance door to the hotel. We told the hotel clerk about it and she asked if we had them close to our cell phones. We both responded, "no" and she asked again with attitude. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. Not downright rude but making you feel like you were bothering her. I do have to say we never felt that way about the day shift workers. They were all very friendly.

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were visiting Charleston for a wedding at the Magnolia Plantation. The hotel was conveniently located to the wedding site and downtown Charleston. The hotel lobby is lovely and the manager's reception held on Monday through Thursday nights was a nice treat...beer, wine, soda, and a good variety of snacks. Freshly baked cookies are available nightly. Breakfast was okay, variety was not as good as other Hampton Inns and hot items weren't hot. The front desk staff was helpful and had printed directions to Charleston attractions. Directions back to the hotel were printed on the reverse side. The king suite was large with a microwave, refrigerator, and sink in the kitchen area.
During our three night stay, room cleaning was missed once but we didn't complain. The hotel seemed well kept except for the elevator which always had an unvacuumed mat on the floor.
The pool and patio were lovely. Overall we were pleased with our stay and would stay at this Hampton again.

Room Tip: Enjoyed our king suite
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Seemingly nice hotel but on our second night we got in late and had to kill two roaches. Seriously, they were not small either. We checked out and went to another hotel. They did I refund our money and apologized.

Manassas, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have been a Hilton Honors member for over 8 years and have stayed at a lot of Hilton properties. Recently stayed at this Hampton Inn during a short vacation my boyfriend and I took....Good rate, due to being a Gov't contractor, but the service and cleanliness at this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. We checked in on a Tuesday around 5pm after having been on the road for 8.5 hours...check in was ok, we got there in tome to enjoy the Managers Reception which was Beer, Red or White wine and some cheese, crackers, and chips.... Our room left a lot to be desired. The bathroom/shower had black streaks on the walls and the AC in our room sounded like a plane taking off every time it kicked in...keeping us awake for 2 nights... We did alert the front desk to the dirty bathroom and AC issue, unfortunately, nothing was done about it...keeping us up for the 2nd night... When we returned to our room after our first full day in Charleston, I found a different front desk hostess and asked about the AC (again)...this time they sent a maintenance person up to look at the AC...he figured out the problem and was able to fix it...telling us that on the first day, no one even bothered to check out the problem...the bathroom sink was dirty...it looked as if there was mildew in the sink and someone had started to clean it and then forgotten, leaving streaks in the sink, the shower wall wasn't cleaned at all... At least we were able to sleep our 3rd (and final night there)...We enjoyed breakfast all 3 morning we were there, although the breakfast attendant, seemed to forget that she was there to help...all the food was cold, thankfully there was a microwave, and utensils were hard to come by...on the 3rd morning I chose to speak to a manager about AC issue...I asked the front desk attendant for a manager and she informed me he "was around here somewhere" and she proceeded to describe his attire to me...(apparently she had to describe him for someone else)... I located the manager outside around the pool, speaking with 2 other employees...when I asked to speak to him, he stepped aside...I explained the issues to him...he looked at me like I had a 2nd head...he did agree to adjust a part of our bill and would take care of it immediately...I walked back inside to finish my breakfast, actually expecting him to adjust the bill and make sure we were settled...didn't happen...we waited in the lobby for 30 minutes and then went back to our room to finish packing...an hour and a half later I approached the front desk and asked about the corrected bill (passing the manager, still speaking to the same employees in the hallway)...the bill had still not been corrected...so now I had to ask another manager to grab the first manager, so that this could be taken care of and so that we could get on the road.... My thought is that the first manager should taken care of my bill (and any other customer) and then gone back to his employee and their conversation... So much for Hamptons 100% guarantee... I think next time we will stay at our regular Embassy Suites in Charleston...

Crestwood, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed in the King Jacuzzi suite and were very happy with the room, the hotel, and the price. The property is in a busy spot near the intersection of I-526 and US 17, but we had no issue at all getting in and out. Mind you, it is adjacent to a Toyota dealership; you're not getting "the scenery" here, but there is also a grocery store, a pharmacy, and restaurants adjacent, so the location is convenient. We didn't make use of the pool, exercise room, or breakfast, so I can't comment there.

Downtown was probably 12-15 minutes away off-peak and 20 minutes tops during morning rush, which I think is very acceptable. The front desk staff gave us good directions for how to park downtown. If you really need or want to soak in the history by staying downtown, that's great, but this is a very reasonable choice and we would definitely stay here again.

Westfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

What a pleasure! Clean, central, many closeby stores, resturaunts and pharmacy for any need.
Evening weekday reception was a nice surprise, and the breakfast was delicous, plentiful and a wonderful variety.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Everything seems to be looked after from the scrubbed elevator to the painted fire escape stairs. The carpeting looks fairly new and the beds are firm. There's even a little happy hour in the lobby. Room prices are good and the location is convienent to downtown and the interstate. Very much reccomend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Charleston / West Ashley? Share your experiences!