“Very nice staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Philadelphia
“Very nice staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

This hotel was excellent with some of the nicest staff we've had in a long time. The groundskeepers, breakfast maid, and front desk people were lovely. The room was clean, the A/C worked. Overall, very good stay. We found it quite easy to get to downtown from the location.

The restaurant next door (Queen Anne's Revenge) was excellent. The food was terrific and there were lots of pirate museum items for the kids to look at.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

We've stayed a number of times at the Hampton Inn on Daniel Island. While the rooms are typical for a hotel of this class, we've stayed there because it is convenient. We arrived at 11:30 AM on Saturday and were told that no rooms were available and check-in time was 3:00 PM. We expressed our desire to check in early and said that we would return after lunch. When we returned at 2:25 PM, again the service manager said that check-in time was 3:00 PM and there was nothing she could do about it. We told her that other hotels had allowed us to check in early and wondered why she couldn't have our room cleaned first, knowing we were there and ready to check in. She got very huffy and said "Well maybe you should stay at another hotel." This upset us as we are not used to this kind of treatment. We told her that this did not sound like good customer service attitude. She then proceeded to insult us and tell us that we were being "rude". The conversation escalated from that point with her even telling us that there was no way she would ever lose her job. My wife and I had never been treated in such a manner. We tried calling Hampton/Hilton customer service to make a complaint and got put on permanent hold. One would think that in these economic times, hotels would make an extra effort to make their guests happy. We left feeling that we would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

My friend and I stayed here over the long weekend, and it suited our needs perfectly. We wanted to save some money so we chose this hotel. It took about 20 minutes to get into Charleston, but it was very easy to do so. The people at the front desk were wonderful and very helpful. The hotel was quiet and right next to a restaurant, which was also pretty good, and in a safe area.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Chickamauga, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

My visit to the Hampton Inn on Daniel Island was for a 2-night stay from May 3-5, 2009. I arrived on Sunday afternoon to find easy check-in and my reservation in good order. I was assigned room 233, a standard 2-double bed room overlooking the pool area.

The room was very clean and fresh and the digital thermostat A/C worked very well with no musty smells (kept the room good and cold for me). This is a fairly new hotel location and it's all non-smoking, so this was terrific for my allergies.

Amenities in the room included a large tube t.v., lots of pillows for the two beds, iron and ironing board in the closet, desk with computer line, two telephones, hair dryer, shower massage shower head, coffee pot with coffee and tea packets, some toiletry items, and probably a few more little things I'm forgetting.

The lobby, relaxation area, and breakfast area was very nice and clean. Each morning, a very well stocked breakfast buffet was set out with both hot and cold breakfast items, and several juices and coffees to choose from as well. In the evening, they set out cookies and milk in the lobby for the guests as well.

I didn't use the pool area at all, but it was very nice looking from what I could see of it.

This hotel is located in a business district area, and you did have to drive just a short way to get to any fast food or convenience store locations, but they weren't but maybe a mile or little more distance. There was a rather swanky restaurant next door called Queen Anne's Revenge and while I got a take-out menu, I never ate there.

Overall, my two-night stay was very nice and I would definitely recommend this hotel for a nice stay in the area. It's also about 1/2 the price of the downtown Charleston hotels for about a 15-minute's drive away. The drive to the downtown area was very easy from here, and it was also located very close to Boone Hall plantation and also the Charles Pinckney park.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Central Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

This hotel is on Daniel Island so about 10-15 minutes from downtown. They have a shuttle if you want but the drive is not bad. Although it was a fairly new hotel, our room had a few things (shower handle fell off, cracked bathroom counter) that seemed odd. The front desk was cordial and discounted our room as they said that AAA did not apply at the hotel? We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel, and was disappointed. I did not feel like it matched up to the rave reviews that it has received. The place was clean, and breakfast was ok, but nothing special. I found some of the staff at the front desk to be rude. We used the shuttle service to the Family Circle Cup tennis tournament, and the shuttle is great with a very nice gentleman. The breakfast is also run by a nice gentleman, but the ladies who run the front desk need an attitude adjustment. I stay at hampton inns frequently, and I just don't think this one measures up.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Daniel Island after returning from a cruise. We loved that they had a shuttle to take us to, and pick us up from the cruise terminal. The shuttle was great, and although we didn't use it for this, also took people to and from Downtown Charleston.

The hotel is about 15 minutes away from Downtown, but very easily accessible.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, even calling a cab for us when our car broke down on the other side of town.

The rooms were very nice. The bed was very comfortable!!! I appreciated chex mix and bottled water waiting for us each time we returned to the room! :)

My only complaints - 1 - the walls are super thin. I woke up to crying kids and people talking casually in the rooms next door. 2 - I think there may be bedbugs. I have bug bites all over my body, even parts that were covered when I was out for the day. However, I would like to emphasize that this hotel was very very clean otherwise.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Charleston - Daniel Island? Share your experiences!