“Great place to stay near downtown Charleston.” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tolland, Connecticut
“Great place to stay near downtown Charleston.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Rates were reasonable. Staff was very friendly. Rooms were very nice. Good gym facilities and a nice outdoor pool area especially for a downtown hotel. Would definitely stay here again. Have stayed at the Renaissance downtown and found these rooms comparable to those.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Acushnet, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Very nice. Staff was very welcoming - particularly the woman in concierge. The staff in the dining room for breakfast was very friendly and engaging. Room was nice. Location is a little removed from the center of it all but we are walkers so it was not really a problem. Plenty of onside parking. I'd stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night stay in Charleston, SC last weekend. My rate was over $300 with tax. The hotel is simply not particularly nice - especially not in comparison to where you can stay for $300-400 in the same area of town. My wife and I are fun, and we don't get upset over much, but there were people making all kinds of noise in the hallway at 2am, which would not have been that big of a deal, but the walls must be pretty thin.

The bathroom is extremely basic, with a shower/tub combo. There is just nothing special about the hotel or the rooms. No complimentary anything, $18 parking, no one offered to help us with our bags, etc. No one was rude, but no one went out of their way to make our stay better. Just an average old Mariott.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GHoskins, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Tom G,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent trip from Tennessee.

I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations for the price you paid. We always want all of our guests to have a quiet and enjoyable night's sleep and am sorry you were kept awake by some of the other guests in the hotel. Marriott Courtyard hotels do not typically have bellman service as we are a select service hotel. Our hotel is fortunate enough to offer bell service during limited hours for our guests, but not throughout an entire day. We will definitely use your comments to help continue to improve the level of service we offer at our hotel.

We hope you will join us again at our hotel so that we can show you the experience and level of service we do offer to our guests. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back in Charleston soon.

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager
Mount Dora
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We spent a week here during our fourth of July visit to Charleston. The hotel is conveniently located to all attractions and restaurants. The staff were so friendly and very accommodating. We had a room with a balcony in the newer section of the hotel. We had a wonderful view of a garden across the street. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff were absolutely amazing and so friendly, I cannot say enough about the staff. You will definitely feel pampered and spoiled here. The hotel has modern contemporary decor, a nice pool area, and a great workout room. I thought the room rates were very reasonable for everything this hotel has to offer along with its close proximity to area attractions, shops and restaurants. My only complaint would be that the elevators are slow, but that really didn't bother too much considering all of the positive features this hotel has to offer. I am looking forward to planning our next trip to Charleston and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Kosice, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I enjoyed our stay here very much. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. The beds and pillows are so cosy. For me the best parts of this hotel are the location and the great helpful staff.
The hotel is a minute walk from King Street and there are so many cafés, restaurants, bars, shops and places of interest just a minute from the hotel. Across the road in The park is a lovely farmers market on Saturdays.
Parking at the hotel is on the small side, but there is an overflow lot across the street. In 10 days here, we have only needed to use it twice.
The Bistro is convenient and has a nice menu for grabbing a snack or breakfast. We haven't had dinner there, so cannot comment, there are too any great restaurant steps away!
There is a small pool and it gets fairly busy late afternoon. Towels are available beside the pool and the sun beds and chairs are comfortable.
The best part about this hotel is how helpful and friendly the staff are. I must pay particular attention to the housekeeping associates. Always saying good morning, stopping to acknowledge you and ask how you are, my husband was balancing quite a few bags and a housekeeping associate automatically came to his aid and helped him carry the bags to our room. Such helpful touches go along way. The rooms are spotlessly clean, so are all the public areas. The bedroom corridors smell like a bath and body works store, it's divine!!! I also noticed no one is on the corridors making noise early in the morning, which is much appreciated when on vacation. I don't think I can find any fault. I highly recommend this hotel. If I had to choose again in Charleston I would choose here time after time.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I cannot say enough about this Courtyard Mariott and staff. I spend a lot of time at this hotel due to business and the staff always makes me feel right at home. The staff at the front desk as well as their sales department always know and willingly accommodates my needs ie always accommodates me with the particular room I want, always willing to adjust my dates needed for lodging book my meeting needs and always are willing to help me out in any way they can! They go above and beyond to make me feel comfortable. Not to mention, they are always friendly and call me by name which means a lot when traveling Thanks for all you do, Renee, PollyAnn,Allison, Grant, Emily, Mara, Alex, Candice and Malea. . I appreciate all you do, The cafe staff is unbelievable...they always know how to make my coffee, surprise me when it's my birthday and always go out of the way to make my special food and drink requests...Allison, Heather, Cathleen, Helena, Linda, Celina, Miss. D , Daniel, Justin and KAT are SUPER friendly, always treat me like family and are so good with customers overall. I see how they interact and they are always friendly, cordial and accommodating to travelers needs. I cannot say enought about this whole staff including the the maintenance to the ladies who clean the rooms. I travel a lot and I always tell this staff that no one can compare to their hospitality! Thanks for all your hard work and all you do!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Salem, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

If the check in time of 4pm doesn't drive you nuts waiting, then don't worry about trying to find a parking space on the Hotel grounds - as they are very limited and you will be charged 18 dollars a day to park across the street. Then going in and out you will notice the delays in the elevator service - since there is only two small evleators for the whole Hotel. The hotel staff even complained about them and the time it takes for them to even get around, so take the stairs as it is a lot quicker - trust me on this. Some other things noticed were the limited selection of TV listings, food service slow which caused long lines, so we never ordered anything from here, poor wifi service, the room keys kept on needing to be re-keyed daily, the starbucks sign if for the same stuff you can but over the counter - very misleading. Overall, we won't ever stay or recommend this place to anyone. The only positive for this place was the location is within walking distance to downtown and everything may want to see.

Room Tip: street side would be the only view you will be able to see anything.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GHoskins, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Roger I,

Thank you for taking the time give us feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations and that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do have two large elevators that service our hotel and am sorry for any wait you encountered while trying to use them. You are correct in that we do have staircase access throughout the building which does give our guests a quick exit out into Historic Charleston. Parking is very limited in downtown Charleston due to it being such an old and smaller city. We do offer a two level garage attached to our building as well as a parking lot across the street to accommodate all of our guests.

I am sorry to hear that we did not have the TV channel you were looking for you during your stay. We do have a wide variety of channels to include HBO, ESPN, the NFL Network, Versus, FX, Bravo, the Food Network, the National Geographic channel, & many more. We will continue to listen to guest feedback and add any channels as viewing trends change.

Our Bistro Restaurant does brew & serve Starbucks coffee and beverages. All of our beverages are created to the exact specifications you would find in any stand alone Starbucks and use the same ingredients supplied to any Starbucks.

I am sorry again that your stay did not meet your expectations and hope you will give us an opportunity in the future to show you the experience we do offer our guests at our hotel. I hope you were able to enjoy your time in Charleston and that the issues you experienced did not overshadow your trip. Thank you for your business and for taking the time to give us feedback on your trip.

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!