“Visiting my daughter and friends for Husband's 60th Birthday Celebration” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Phoenix, Maryland
“Visiting my daughter and friends for Husband's 60th Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We have never been disappointed with Marriott. The service and comfort and friendliness of the hotel chain is consistent world wide. Charleston charm is all around this Marriott, with Grant Hoskins making sure our every need was met. It was a wonderful family reunion and birthday celebration. We will definitely stay there when we make our next trip to Charleston.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I am originally from Charleston, so I'm obviously a heavy critic when it comes to local accommodations. The Courtyard on Marion Square, however, created an impressive experience for my girlfriend and myself. The staff was phenomenal, offering exceptional service throughout my stay. The management team there obviously runs a tight ship and does an incredible job of making their guests feel at home. Management was also visible throughout our stay to ensure guests were taken care of. They treated us extremely well, with timely assistance anytime we needed anything. I would highly recommend this location when booking your next trip to Charleston. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I'm a fairly jaded traveler. No restaurant in your town will compare to Christian Constant's in Paris, or Per Se in NY. Your graveyard is interesting? As interesting as Saint Denis? Not likely. I came to Charleston this second time with the mindset that it was pretty, but not my favorite. Cute, but superficial. Enter Kevin McQuade, Concierge at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District. In the space of 30 minutes, he totally revolutionized the way I see Charleston and it's people. He deduced my personality, determined my interests and crafted (yes, "crafted" like a fine piece of furniture) an itinerary that blew me away. He personally, on his own time, led us through the oldest parts of Charleston at night. The smell of confederate jasmine enveloped us like a loving grandmother's hug. The uplit fountains no tourist could ever find gleamed like apparitions from a long lost age. I fell in love with Charleston that night. He arranged last minute reservations at a restaurant run by a chef from Le Bernardin & Per Se. As an aside, one of the trips he sent us on actually hit one of my life's quests. Eating oysters straight from the oyster beds. Not the farmed variety. We actually went into the salt marshes at low tide and ate wild grown oysters directly on the boat using a screwdriver as our knife. Want to walk a beach and find .50 caliber miniballs fired in a famous battle or attend an open air church service held once a year in a church burned by both the British and that damned Sherman? Then you WANT to stay here. This hotel is just a building. It's cleaner than most and the air conditioning is good. The downstairs bar pours a healthy bourbon from a surprisingly good selection. What elevates this good hotel to a truly marvelous experience is the world class (I don't use that term lightly) concierge. Thanks Kevin.

Room Tip: We had a double queen due to large number of visitors and it was fine. We prefer King, but the room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Our rooms were lovely. They upgraded us to a room with a balcony. Love balcony!. Malea was wonderful and very very helpful to us and our whole family.
My only complaint is that the halls were no air conditioned. It was very very upsetting to spend an hour getting ready for one one of the several pre wedding events to have to wait on the elevator and break a sweat. Either there aren't enough elevators to accommodate everyone....or they need to air condition the halls.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Having used to live in downtown Charleston when this hotel was being renovated a few years ago, I was excited to try it out when I visited last weekend. Most importantly, location is everything when staying in Charleston, as you won't need to use a car/taxi if you're in a good area. This Courtyard is perfect as you're a 5 min walk from the Market and right next to King St, the two areas with all the best restaurants, bars, shopping, sightseeing, etc. My room and the facilities looked great with clean carpets and freshly painted walls. The decor was warm and welcoming with beautiful artwork of the city throughout. The pool and outdoor lounge on the front of the hotel were a big plus and a nice place to have a pre-dinner drink or quick meal from the hotel's bistro. I was surprised to see a few reviews complaining about limited space, as I found the property was very spacious (considering its in a historic city and not a planned resort community). I found all the staff to be polite and prompt, and our rooms were cleaned quickly by housekeeping every day. Many of the other reviewers thoroughly covered the excellent concierge and I completely agree. When I first checked into the hotel, Kevin (the concierge) was talking with other guests, but the assistant general manager was walking by and stopped to ask if he could help. He was great, and even while being very familiar with the city, he gave a few tips and new places to see that I'll be going back to every subsequent visit. In a city known for its southern hospitality, customer service like this is everything and this hotel was on top of their game. Wish I didn't have to wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The location alone makes this hotel awesome but I was pleasantly surprised by the staff and the accommodations. There was nothing but smiles from staff at all levels, from the front desk people to the service maintenance people I passed in the hallways. Everyone was very warm and welcoming!

Great place to stay and I would highly recommend it for friends and family that want the downtown experience but at a reasonable rate!

Room Tip: Talk to Grant Hoskins, he's the man!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Frankfort, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Most of us know what to expect when it comes to a Marriott Courtyard as I have stayed at several for business and selected this hotel due to its proximity to the Historic District and the knowledge that I would have a clean and comfortable hotel room without any inconveniences. This hotel was clean and comfortable and met all my criteria, what made this a FIVE STAR experience was the Chief Consierge Kevin McQuade. From the moment we checked in we met with Kevin to secure dinner reservations and get the low down on Charleston sites to see. Kevin is passionate about his lovely city and wants all guests to experience the true Charleston and love it just as much as he does. Kevin provided excellent tips to see the city and must see places often over looked by other tours. There is nothing he has not thought of, he provided custom maps and tips on photo opportunities that were amazing, and Kevin also provided an evening tour south of Broad St. that was the highlight of our trip!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!