“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were looking for a moderately priced hotel in the historical district. We were so pleased with the Courtyard Marriott....the hotel was very clean and well appointed. Service was excellent...especially the concierge, which I did not expect at a hotel at this price point. And the location was just what we wanted....within walking distance to all the attractions in the historical district. We stayed at this moderately priced hotel for a few days, then traveled to Hilton Head Island to stay at a "luxury" resort (Omni) on the beach. However, it turns out the room, service, staff, etc. at the Marriott far exceeded our experience at the luxury resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Hanoverton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

First visit to Charlotte and I booked one night here because of the reviews. I want to mention I am a Marriott Rewards member and always stay at Marriott hotels. I asked for early check in and I guess I should've given the maid service more time because Our room smelled like cigarette smoke and our bathroom floor was filthy. I am easily grossed out by seeing other people's hairs left in the bathroom and the floor was covered! There were also foot prints on the floor. I stopped at front desk to let them know our bathroom was dirty and they said they could not move us but they could send the maid service back in while we were out. We later returned (5) hours later to find they had not cleaned our room yet. When I contacted the front desk I was told they were busy and will get to it soon. I also stopped to see Kevin, the hotel concierge that everyone raved about. I felt like he was rushing us through our questions, and when I told him the name of the ghost tour I had booked through a groupon, he told me that it wasn't the best one to do. He knew of a better one. He also had negative comments about the restaraunt I booked for dinner, and put two menus in front of us and said they were his top two and we needed to decide right then if we wanted him to make reservations for one of those places because they fill up fast. They were both very pricey. Then he tried to get us to book bikes for the afternoon to get around. I told him I had a carriage ride booked for that day and he said well call and move it to tomorrow. He tried to do this 3 times, and I in ally told him I wast changing the time for the carriage rid! I felt he rushed through everything he went over with us, he was negative about any suggestions I had and was very pushy and booking things he suggested. So glad we didn't do bikes, we manged just fine without them, and no one really rents them. One more thing, parking is a joke, paid 16 for parking and we ended up parking at the front of the hotel because everything was full. I will not stay here again if I visit Charlotte. It's a subpar Marriott and dirty. So over priced for what you get.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Spartanburg, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The concierge is a really nice touch, and the lobby is well appointed with the ability to get food and drinks. It is convenient to everything if you don't mind walking 10-20 minutes, if you don't want to walk, cabs and rickshaws are available quickly. The good report stops there. The hallways are hot' and the room smelled musty. Our room did not get serviced while we were out, and the front desk staff seemed put out that we brought it up at 7pm, when we came in to get ready for dinner. When I questioned the $16 a day parking charge in my bill, even though we parked at the church across the street, I was met with a less than pleasant explanation of how that is considered "on the property" parking. I get that, no big deal, the condensing and argumentative tone, was challenging. I spend 129 nights a year in hotels, Platinum with Marriott, will feel treated this poorly less than twice a year.

Room Tip: Set low expectations, you will be okay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Arcata, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Courtyard Historic District is well worth consideration for a family stay in Charleston. The rooms are large with 2 queen size beds, and just enough space for a family of 4 to feel comfortable. The bathroom is OK but nothing special although it included Paul Mitchell hair products (a nice touch). The lobby contained everything one needs: a business center, a place to grab a bite, a small pool, complimentary morning coffee (almost drinkable). It is clean and feels fairly new. Beds are adequate, I have definitely slept on worse.

Service was fine although the concierge wasn't really interested unless you were willing to hear his entire sales pitch (which we weren't).

The location is convenient, close to, but not in the middle of everything. It is an easy walk to all the downtown attractions like the King Street Shopping District, The Battery District, the Waterfront, the French Quarter and the Aquarium. There is also a free trolley service that stops right in front of the hotel although we found it so unreliable it was easier to walk.

If I have a single beef it is that they need another, or at least faster elevators. We spent a lot of time waiting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District is your average Courtyard. The rooms were affordable and the location was good. Although the hotel is in the historic district, it is on the edge and it takes about 10 minutes to walk to the heart of the district. Usually, this wouldn't be an issue, but if you are planning to visit in the hot summer months, consider staying at a hotel closer to the shops and restaurants.

The best thing about the Courtyard was the pool. There are not very many hotels with pools in this area, so it was nice to be able to jump into the pool to cool off after a long hot summer day of touring. The pool was not crowded and, while it does back up to the parking lot, it is relatively private and secluded.

The room was a good size, but the bed was a bit uncomfortable. We could hear the springs when sitting down and the sheets were pilled. The bathroom had a small vanity and there is not much room to store your toiletries. There was also no safe in the room.

We personally prefer to stay at the HarborView Inn or the French Quarter Inn, but it is more expensive than the Courtyard. In my opinion, the extra cost for the perfect location and added luxury is worth it if you can afford to splurge a little more.

Happy Vacationing!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and for a Marriott, it was disappointing. They charge $16.00 per day to park and you'll be lucky to find a spot in their garage as its pretty small. The hotel should spend more on mattresses and less on "window dressing" things like the bistro that no one seemed to be utilizing. The beds were as hard as a rock and felt like you were sleeping on the floor. I also heard people in the elevator complaining about the beds, so it wasn't just my bed that was uncomfortable.
The room was fairly clean but the toilet was not clean and it had obviously been a while since the front of it had been wiped down.
Overall, the hotel seemed to lack management. We heard staff complaining about guests on more than one occasion, which was a bit troubling and not what a guest wants to hear.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
nashville, tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was a perfect place for our family to stay-- We visited Charleston for the weekend in July. The hotel met all of our needs. We requested a rollaway bed and they had it there for us quickly. The rooms have a refrigerator. There is not a safe in the room which would have been nice. Parking is scarce but there is a lot across the street to use. The concierge, Kevin, is as good as they say--take time to let him help you with suggestions! I called him on my way in on a Friday, and he quickly returned my call to chat with me and offer suggestions even though it was last minute, and I knew he was probably very busy. He set up a walking tour on Saturday morning for our family of 5 (kids ages 17,15 and 12) with Ed Macy, who was wonderful! We really enjoyed it and I would recommend it for families with teenagers! He was great! The hotel is across the street from the Farmers Market which was fun to go to on Saturday morning before our tour-lots of food and craft booths. We were able to walk to dinners (Halls Chophouse, Mellow Mushroom, Magnolias) and great shopping, so the location was ideal. (East Bay deli was good too...we drove there on our way out Sunday) The Marriott provided hot coffee each morning in the lobby and there is a place to order breakfast food if you want it- which we did not need. My 12 year old also enjoyed swimming one afternoon for an hour and they offered drink service by the pool that day.( It is small courtyard type pool, but he still enjoyed it.)
We would definitely stay here again if we return to Charleston although it was expensive-- Great trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!