“Great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was just a one night stop so I didn't get a lot of time to experience everything the hotel had to offer but, the staff alone (as with most Marriotts) made it worthwhile. The room was clean but, you could tell no one had stayed in that room for awhile. It had that shut up, no air moving in it smell. There are hotels closer to the Market area but, the Courtyard is still just a short walk there. All in all, not a bad place to stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
John D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Bassin66,

Thanks for being a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor and for your great review.

I wholeheartedly agree that we have a great team here and also that Marriott does a great job overall when it comes to service and hiring great people. We try very hard to create an environment that allows them to thrive and in turn give you an experience that builds loyalty to our brands. It is apparent that you have confidence in our brand.

I also see that your room didnt appear to have that fresh sense and we are working hard to give our rooms a thorough cleaning that will give it that pop that you are looking for. We never turn our air conditioners in the off position. We do have very high tech thermostats in every room and they have sensors built in that work based on movement in the room and that could have been the issue.

Thank you for coming to visit us for a night, and we hope to be able to see you for an extended visit soon.

John Dallas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here the weekend right after Thanksgiving, 2012. It was a very nice hotel with clean rooms and friendly staff. I would definitely stay here again if I go back to Charleston.
The are just a couple of reasons why I gave this a 4 and not a 5. Reason one is that the rooms and bathrooms were not as well lit as I would have liked, especially when trying to apply makeup! It would be wise of this hotel to at least beef up the bathroom lighting. I'm afraid I ended up being a little too heavy handed with the makeup because I couldn't see! The other reason was the parking. It is very limited, very tight, and costs a ridiculous $16 a day for SELF parking. Our Camry had a hard time fitting in the top lot, as the bottom lot was always full.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I visited Charleston for the first time over Thanksgiving. We meet Kevin McQuade the concierge when we arrived. He was full of all kinds of wonderful information about the city. We did not have reservations for dinner on Thanksgiving but he was able to get us in at a wonderful resturant. He took us on a night tour of the city which was one of the highlights of our trip. Kevin is excellent at what he does! The hotel was very clean, comfortable and in an excellent location. The hotel is within walking distance to the whole historical district.

Room Tip: Top floor (6th) rooms quite and some have good views of the historic district.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My fiance and I came to Charleston to check out places for our wedding. We were told by a family member to see Kevin, as he may have advice on where to look. We spent well over an hour with him. He was patient with all of our questions and gave us great inforamtion on places to check out. Thanks to Kevin we found our location of the ceremony, which we never would have found if it wasn't for him. He also gave us an amazing tour at night! He shows true passion for Charleston and what it has to offer. The Hotel staff were very friendly and the hotel is in a very convenient location. We will be making quite a few trips back to Charleston for planning purposes and will stay here every time.

Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I traveled with family to the Courtyard by Marriott in Charleston and on the drive there, we kept reading amazing reviews about some guy named Kevin. When we checked in, we asked about him and were introduced to the man himself, the Courtyard's Chief Concierge. Our trip was a wild success due to his efforts.

Kevin immediately got to know us and our interests, wanting to know what kinds of activities and food we were looking for. He then tailored his suggestions to our needs, offering a driving tour of Charleston with Jane Thornhill, a registered tourist guide since 1954 and an integral part of Charleston history itself, since my grandparents couldn't walk for too long. He made reservations at some of Charleston's best restaurants for us and, best of all, gave us the opportunity for an up-close view of Charleston's most beautiful spots on a midnight stroll.

We had 28 hours in Charleston, and yet Kevin gave us the opportunity to experience pieces of the city that many tourists never do. We had a truly unique trip and Kevin made it all possible.

The rest of the hotel staff was wonderfully accommodating and the room was comfortable. I slept like a baby in the plush beds and loved the lobby, which offered lots of sitting room. The location of the hotel also cannot be beat. The farmer's market and old citadel were right across the street and shopping on King Street was just a few more steps away. Now, when friends visit Charleston, Courtyard by Marriott will be the first place I recommend, followed by a trip to the concierge desk!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel is located two blocks away from king street and a few blocks away from market st. Easy location to walk north or east. The room I was in had a nice decor and layout. However the walls were paper thin. I can hear my neighbors and I'd they were loud, I can hear them as if they were next to me. Nevertheless, the service is great . Somebody was making a lot of noise and the staff came right away (thank you to my other neighbors who called security).
They have a nice but small pool. Good to relax not to dive in.

• Stayed November 2012
monroe, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here the long weekend over Thanksgiving. The location was great, and the staff was friendly. Our room needed vacuuming and I was not thrilled to find out that I had to pay $16 per day for parking. But we had an amazing three days in Charleston, thanks to Kevin McQuade the concierge. We fit in so much in our 3 days there due to his tips and recommendations. And all of the food that we had was amazing! He was able to get us reservations at all of the restaurants that we were interested in. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
John D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Meechandjor,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor and for visiting us at the Courtyard in the Historic District of Charleston.

Thanksgiving week is an excellent time to come visit Charleston and it is not quite as crowded around the Historic District. It can be tricky to find restaurants open on the holiday but I know that Kevin tried to locate all of the restaurants in our area that were open and it sounds like you were able to experience the ones you were interested in.

I apologize for the lack of tidiness with your carpet and we are in the process of purchasing new vacuum's to ensure that all of them are in top working order.

I also realize that you did not enjoy paying for parking but our nightly rate is quite reasonable compared to our competition. There is an extreme lack of parking in the historic district due to the very small amount of available land on the peninsula and the density of this area.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Charleston.

John Dallas

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!