“Courtyard by Marriott was a winner, especially star concierge Kevin McQuade!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Courtyard by Marriott was a winner, especially star concierge Kevin McQuade!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I traveled with family to the Courtyard by Marriott in Charleston and on the drive there, we kept reading amazing reviews about some guy named Kevin. When we checked in, we asked about him and were introduced to the man himself, the Courtyard's Chief Concierge. Our trip was a wild success due to his efforts.

Kevin immediately got to know us and our interests, wanting to know what kinds of activities and food we were looking for. He then tailored his suggestions to our needs, offering a driving tour of Charleston with Jane Thornhill, a registered tourist guide since 1954 and an integral part of Charleston history itself, since my grandparents couldn't walk for too long. He made reservations at some of Charleston's best restaurants for us and, best of all, gave us the opportunity for an up-close view of Charleston's most beautiful spots on a midnight stroll.

We had 28 hours in Charleston, and yet Kevin gave us the opportunity to experience pieces of the city that many tourists never do. We had a truly unique trip and Kevin made it all possible.

The rest of the hotel staff was wonderfully accommodating and the room was comfortable. I slept like a baby in the plush beds and loved the lobby, which offered lots of sitting room. The location of the hotel also cannot be beat. The farmer's market and old citadel were right across the street and shopping on King Street was just a few more steps away. Now, when friends visit Charleston, Courtyard by Marriott will be the first place I recommend, followed by a trip to the concierge desk!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel is located two blocks away from king street and a few blocks away from market st. Easy location to walk north or east. The room I was in had a nice decor and layout. However the walls were paper thin. I can hear my neighbors and I'd they were loud, I can hear them as if they were next to me. Nevertheless, the service is great . Somebody was making a lot of noise and the staff came right away (thank you to my other neighbors who called security).
They have a nice but small pool. Good to relax not to dive in.

• Stayed November 2012
monroe, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here the long weekend over Thanksgiving. The location was great, and the staff was friendly. Our room needed vacuuming and I was not thrilled to find out that I had to pay $16 per day for parking. But we had an amazing three days in Charleston, thanks to Kevin McQuade the concierge. We fit in so much in our 3 days there due to his tips and recommendations. And all of the food that we had was amazing! He was able to get us reservations at all of the restaurants that we were interested in. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
John D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Meechandjor,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor and for visiting us at the Courtyard in the Historic District of Charleston.

Thanksgiving week is an excellent time to come visit Charleston and it is not quite as crowded around the Historic District. It can be tricky to find restaurants open on the holiday but I know that Kevin tried to locate all of the restaurants in our area that were open and it sounds like you were able to experience the ones you were interested in.

I apologize for the lack of tidiness with your carpet and we are in the process of purchasing new vacuum's to ensure that all of them are in top working order.

I also realize that you did not enjoy paying for parking but our nightly rate is quite reasonable compared to our competition. There is an extreme lack of parking in the historic district due to the very small amount of available land on the peninsula and the density of this area.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Charleston.

Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family and parents spent 1 night over the recent Thanksgiving weekend for a quick tour of Charleston. The hotel is very comfortable and well located. The staff was very friendly. However, Chief Concierge Kevin made our short visit an exceptional experience. Based on previous Trip Advisor reviews, we met with Kevin immediately after arrival. He helped us arrange various activities to make the most out of our short visit. The highlight of our trip was his personal evening tour of the historic district. I travel frequently for both business and pleasure and have never experienced concierge service even close to what Kevin delivered. He made our trip memorable and we look forward to a repeat visit. As many have already noted, Kevin is the super and makes the Marriott Courtyard the best place to stay in Charleston.

Dear John G,

Thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor.

There is no doubt that Kevin provides our guests a very unique offering and sets us apart from any hotel. I agree with the reviews on this website that recommend our hotel based on his service.

What I joke with Kevin about routinely is that he might have to start cooking the food and cleaning the rooms in the future since he tends to get all the credit (which is deserved by the way.)

Have no fear, we know where he is at his best and he will be right here at his desk waiting for your next visit. Please come back soon!

Best Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel itself was exactly what I expected in a Courtyard Marriott. Courteous staff, clean & inviting, comfy beds. But the concierge is what separates this hotel from all the other great hotels in Charleston. Kevin McQuade is the piece de resistance as far as I'm concerned. I am a planner and usually research all attractions and restaurants myself because I enjoy it. However, the reviews on this site singing Kevin's praises convinced me to just let go and let him do the planning. I stayed at this hotel because of Kevin. Period.

And he delivered! My family consisted of a couple in their 30s, teenage girl, and 11 year old boy. I contacted Kevin prior to vacation and we scheduled a conference call that included the kids. Kevin questioned us and we gave input on what types of food we would like, how casually we wanted to dine, what time we usually had dinner, attractions that appealed to us, etc. Kevin called back a few days later with an ambitious itinerary. I was a little concerned that there was too much on the plan, but the reality was we felt relaxed during the entire six day vacation. Kevin mixed in the just the right amount of activity with scheduled down time.

We didn't have a single bad meal or experience. Never was there a rush. With Kevin taking care of all the details we were able to focus on simply enjoying Charleston. And that we did.
We met with Kevin in person the day we arrived at the hotel and went over our finalized itinerary. That evening he took us out on a personal tour of historic homes and gardens. This was another highlight of the trip. Such a wonderful welcome. Kevin clearly loves Charleston and his job and that energy is contagious. The personal tour got all of us even more excited to be in Charleston. The entire family loved everything. As for favorites, they were hard to choose (so many to pick from) but the 11 year old boy loved the Ed Macey night ghost walk best. The teenage girl enjoyed Ed Macey's day history tour the best. The adults? The Hunley submarine and the lighthouse tour via private boat.

A few details about the actual hotel. The beds were comfortable and the rooms clean. A/C worked great. Almost everything we wanted to do was walkable from the hotel. We enjoyed the pool almost every evening. The slow elevators noted elsewhere on this site were a minor annoyance. You can't enter or exit the stairwell from the lobby. You can only exit the stairwell at the lobby level to the outside. One of the lights in our room flickered and after I reported it someone immediately showed to fix it. However, the next day the problem continued. It seems there was a short in the wire in the headboard. I also reported that some inconsiderate smoker had left a large pile of ashes and butts in a stairwell, but this was not acted upon as the trash was still in the stairwell the next day. However, none of these minor glitches detracted from our wonderful experience in Charleston.

My research showed that there are many great hotels in Charleston that we would have enjoyed staying at. However, there is only one Kevin McQuade. And Kevin is the best reason to stay at this hotel. Best family vacation ever.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
John D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear MumblePenguin,

Thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor. For you to call it the best family vacation ever, we could not hope for anything more than that. Those memories will not soon be forgotten and that is part of Kevin's goal and certainly the hotel wants to be the perfect compliment.

Thank you for pointing out our areas of opportunity and we will be sure to pick up the pace in responding to your requests and concerns. There is one area to enter the stairwell from the inside but unfortunately it is not clearly marked.

We agree that one of our biggest differentiators is our concierge service and Kevin never ceases to amaze.

We appreciate your business and for staying with us here in the Historic District at the Courtyard.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed for four nights over this Thanksgiving. I am a Marriott Rewards member, and Natascha gave us a great room with a balcony just for me asking if she could give me a good room. Every staff person we met was friendly, helpful and accommodating. We had friends meet us the last night for dinner and before they arrived, the staff arranged for me me place an arrival gift in their room, plus gave them a room looking out on Meeting Street, again after I asked if they could be given a nice room. Kevin McQuade the lead concierge is simply the best we've seen anywhere. He really makes your Charleston tourism experience top notch. He has put so much time and effort into his research and he is so well connected to local chefs, restauranteurs, tour guides, etc. that he simply picks up the phone and you're taken care of! We took his advice on a new place, The MacIntosh, named by Esquire magazine as one of America's best new restaurants, and while we and our friends were dining on the patio that evening, Kevin dropped by our table to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. His recommendation for the Ed Macy walking tour was on the money! Kevin is simply a real pro and a great guy! Aaron at the front desk was so helpful all week - his advice about little things in getting around was very useful. Great coffee and breakfast in the morning, and love the wide, "true south" front porch with rockers and ceiling fans! Great location to see Charleston's amazing and unique sights!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear HoosierN,

Thank you for the excellent review on TripAdvisor and we strive to earn the top marks that you gave our hotel.

Thank you for pointing out Kevin's great attention to detail and for mentioning Aaron as well. We have great team members at this hotel and those are two of our finest at working diligently to earn your loyalty.

You also mentioned Macintosh as one of our restaurants getting rave reviews and there is quite a buzz being generated for the culinary expertise in our great city.

We hope you will come back soon to sample more of what Charleston has to offer and we would be privileged to be your hotel of choice.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was my second trip to Charleston. My first was a quick business trip but I still managed to get in a nice dinner at the recommendation of the fabulous Concierge, Kevin. This past weekend I had the opportunity to return with my family and show them this fabulous city I kept raving about. There was no option but to return to the Courtyard. While the hotel is typical Marriott Courtyard, there are a few changes from the norm. The Bistro has a few different items to the menu - something I've never seen on my business travels. The Concierge, Kevin, is the real reason to stay at this perfectly located gem.
Kevin was incredible - I cannot speak highly enough of this professional gentleman. He had a teleconference with my husband and I prior to the trip to assess our family's desires for a perfect long weekend. He was spot on with the recommendations. I was able to enjoy my family bonding time instead of worry about the planning. He had bike rentals, restaurants and tours set up for us and all I had to do was relax and be part of the wonderful activities. He went above and beyond for us and I cannot speak highly enough about his services.
Keep it up Kevin!! We plan to be back. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!