“I cannot sum this place up in one sentence.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
“I cannot sum this place up in one sentence.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Our stay at the Mills House was probably on eof the best hotel experiences I have had. The service was outstanding. When you arrive you are greeted with a smile and you feel as if they actually are happy that you are staying. This feeling continues on throughout the stay. The hotel is in walking distance of just about everything that you would want to see in downtown Charleston. I just can't say enugh good things about this place. I will always stay at the Mills House when I am in Charleston!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I love coming to Charleston for many reasons. High on the list of reasons is the Mills House Hotel. Ideally situated on Meeting Street and brimming with historical significance, this hotel is unbelievable. Don't let the Holiday Inn brand influence you, this is a 4-star hotel in every sense, from the doorman and concierge to the restaurant staff and front desk. This is one of my favorite hotels anywhere, and the fact that it happens to be in Charleston--a town that knows hospitality--makes it a must-see.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding, and the location was perfect! It is in a beautiful part of Charleston and very conveniently located for walking to restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. We valeted our car when we arrived (for $22) and didn't move it until we left.

Our room was rather small, but that is a limitation of staying in an older hotel. The bed was very comfortable and clean. The furnishings were a bit outdated, but fine. Some of the amenities that you expect at a high-end hotel were absent (bathrobes, nice toiletries, newer TV, mini-fridge), but the housekeeping was excellent and the room was fine considering we were hardly in it. It just wasn't too impressive.

The hotel lobby is very pretty, although it could be enhanced by a few small touches like fresh flowers (instead of dusty silk ones). The bellmen were not overly helpful and seemed to do the bare minimum. When we arrived, the guy offered to park the car but made no effort to help with our bags. Also, when we needed a cab later in the weekend, they simply suggested we call for one. At a nice hotel, they would do that for you. So everything seemed to fall just short of our expectations, but was still "nice enough."

The pool area is great and one of the strong suits of this hotel. Especially in the summer when it is quite hot in Charleston, it is really nice to have a pool to enjoy.

Overall, I would only stay here again if we could get a similar group rate ($179/night). Otherwise, at the normal rates, I'd say the Mills House is slightly overrated. If location is really important to you and you can live without some of the frills, you might really like this place. But if you're looking for a luxury hotel, the Mills House comes up short.

Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Stayed on A Wednesday night - very accommodating, didn't charge us for parking our motorcycle on the sidewalk right outside that was great. Gave us a priority club upgrade to a 7th floor suite which was very comfortable. Extremely nice room and hotel.

My minor criticism is that i had lots of trouble with the wireless internet. They have several sources but none of them seemed to last very long or the connection would just time out too quickly.

Other than that thumbs up!

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Stayed during the week, for one night on Tuesday night. Not a lot of business so, since we live in Charleston and were celebrating out 42nd. anniversary, I worked the day and drove downtown arriving in the evening. We ask if we might be able to have a late checkout, since we were checking in, in the evening and the desk individual said sure, she could charge us for another half day ($75) and we could check out late the next day. I ask her how business was and she indicated slow. I can understand why.

While the room was fine and the hotel nice, good service might have made a future customer of theirs. As is, they must be hurting for money and certainly I'll have to think again before I consider their place in the off season.

Frank Smith

Niagara Region Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Mills House in late August. We had a great time. The room was spacious, easy access to restaurants, and easy to drive to. The front desk staff were great, along with the wonderful pool and lounge area.

The drinks at the bar were a little expensive, but on par with most hotel lounges.

Charleston is a great place to visit, we ate at some great restaurants, including Magnolias. Magnolias is by far one of the best restaurants we have ever been to.

My only complaint was the bed was a little soft (but comfortable) for my liking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenixville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

After a bit of a challenge finding the hotel but with helpful directions from the front desk staff (the name Mills House is prominently displayed on the building but unfortunately I was looking for Holiday Inn!), we were happy to check in to the Mills House. The entire facility is lovely and my fourth floor room overlooking the pool was clean, comfortable, and well equipped. Everyone was friendly and helpful and we quite enjoyed our ability to use the hotel as a home base while we explored the city. When I return to Charleston, I will definitely stay here again. It has the feel of a small independent hotel with the benefits that being part of a chain provide.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!