“Location great, helpful concierge, front staff helpful...” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 58 Hotels in Charleston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Waukegan, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Mills House is spectacular in every way! The staff is simply the best you will ever meet. I was greeted every time I passed through the lobby. The impeccable service started prior to my arrival on 3-24-13. The concierge Andra worked with me via email to answer questions regarding weather, location etc. She booked dinner reservations and tours. After my arrival she answered numerous questions, canceled dinner reservations and dealt with a groupon issue. This was absolutely the best hotel stay I have ever experienced! You have a gem of a staff Mills House management. I selected this hotel based on what Tauck tours use. I will let them be my guide for future trips. I have never taken their tours but peruse the brochure often and dream. Just so happens they arrived during my stay. To bad I didn't get to thank them. Continue doing what you do because I am bragging to all my friends and family. Many thanks to the staff for such a wonderful vacation. Andra, God bless you for your kind spirit.
Lynne J. (Illinois)

Room Tip: My room over looked the courtyard and pool. I loved the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Unfortunately, the hotel was not taken care of while under the ownership of Holiday Inn. However, the new owners are planning a remodel later in the year. The common areas downstairs are in great shape but the rooms are showing their age. Our room was quiet and comfortable. It's within walking distance to many great restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Pasadena, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I love to stay in historic hotels. I picked the Mills House because of the reviews and the history of the hotel. The hotel itself is simply beautiful. Old world charm, high ceilings, antique decor, charming courtyard.

I reserved a room with two double beds, and a balcony that overlooked the side street. The room was very pretty, semi-canopy beds, a dresser, desk, and chairs with small table. The bathroom is dated, floor boards cracked and hastily repaired. Towels, thin and small, scratchy and inadequate. The room however, was clean, smelled fresh, and was as pictured on the website. The small balcony with two chairs and a table was a nice touch, but as another review said, the trash trucks and the ghost tours will keep you up if you are prone to retire early or to wake later.

The service in the hotel was disappointing. There was nothing about Southern charm and courtesy. It was very 'aloof'. Perhaps it was the wedding taking place on the weekend that had them all preoccupied, but service was lacking.

There was a beautiful second floor courtyard where the pool was about to open. But the people using it as a smoking area meant my family wouldn't use the space.

There are people in the ghost tours who kept using the side doors to come in and use the bathroom in the hotel. Although the door was card-keyed, it was always available. Now, I love ghost tours, but when I'm paying the big bucks to stay here, I really don't wan't to hear the door down below me slam repeatedly and the shouts of "last call for bathroom!" echoing through my ears as I get ready for bed.

Now, that I've griped, I will say that the location is perfect for walking everywhere. The market, the restaurants (Poogans Porch is next door) are all close by.

We didn't eat at the hotel during our four night stay, mainly because I wanted to experience other venues. However, trying to get a cup of coffee in the morning was difficult, I suppose you mustn't ask for coffee if you aren't having breakfast. Silly.

If you love historic hotels, this fits the bill, but so do many other hotels near by. Not sure if I'd choose the Mills House next time.

Room Tip: Rooms only have one king or two doubles. The balcony rooms are nice, but noisy at night and early m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Mills House was one of the best hotels I have ever been to. The service was about average, but they still helped me get to where I needed to be. The historical factor there was just amazing it was so well put together. Not only was it well put together, but the hotel had a pool on the second floor roof!!! How cool is that, now it was to cold when I went up there, but it was just immaculate. The concierge helped so much, she was hilarious and helped to where we needed to go as quickly as she could. The Mills House Hotel is one I will gladly stay at again and people should give it a try.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
long island,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a beautiful elegant hotel.
The small, second floor room we had was overlooking Queen Street and the noise of the garbage trucks at 7:30AM was truly awful.
I feel the woman who checked us in early should have said we have a room which will be noisy would you prefer to wait for a quieter room?
We were there for 3 nights. Thankfully one of them was Sunday so there were no garbage trucks.
Upon checking out, we mentioned this to the front desk and they really didn't seem to care.
The location was great but our stay was ruined by the noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!