“Repeat Guest - One of my favorite hotels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel

You added The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   115 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #24 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Jacksonville, FL
“Repeat Guest - One of my favorite hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels to stay at. There’s just something charming about this hotel and the location is spectacular. There simply isn’t a better location in Charleston.

PROS:
- Phenomenal, unbeatable location.
- Charming atmosphere and architectural details
- Nice meeting space
- I LOVE the restaurant – very comfortable chairs, nice dark lighting, and exceptional southern & low country food.
- Great pool and pool deck
- Comfortable beds
- Incredible suites
- No major cleanliness issues – everything was in good working order
- Room service is quick and delicious

CONS:
- The service has never been spectacular on any of my four stays. No one goes out of their way to make you feel “special” – like you would expect from a four star hotel.
- Valet takes forever (to both answer the phone and to retrieve your car).
- Rooms could use a refresh and the pillows leave a lot to be desired.
- On my last stay, I didn’t receive any “Priority Club perks” like I have in the past (like free drinks, free upgrade, turndown service, etc., but all of my colleagues received them and they are on a lower membership level.
- My biggest disappointment was learning that this hotel isn’t going to be a part of IHG/Priority Club after March, so I’ll have to try the new Holiday Inn next time to still get my points.

Room Tip: Either book a suite or ask for the upgrade! Some rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Kerry Boat,
Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. Both your Pro and Con remarks are much appreciated and taken very seriously. We hope that you will consider us for your future accommodations should you visit Charleston again soon. It is our goal to make our hotel not just one of your favorites, but your absolute favorite.
John Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I would definitely stay at the Mills House again. Everything about it was top of the line! Lobby beautiful with the most friendly staff. Rooms were very clean and roomy and accommodating. The main elevators were out for part of our stay so we were directed to take the service elevator. It was little inconvenience, if any, and there was a staff member every 20 feet directing us and apologizing for the inconvenience and what can they do to help us etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mary k,
Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to post a review of The Mills House on TripAdvisor. Your kind remarks are much appreciated. We try to exceed each guest's expectations and in your case we are pleased that we did indeed accomplish our goal. I have passed your comments along to our entire staff.
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We are local people who attended a conference in our hometown. We welcomed the opportunity to be a "tourist in our town" for the weekend at the Mills House Hotel, which is actually now a Holiday Inn owned property. Please continue to read about the decor, but so you don't miss the most important thing I will start with the NOISE. We were placed in a room on the 6th floor. There are 7 floors so I can only imagine what you hear there. There was a constant "roar" in our room and slightly so in the hallway. A combination sound of an engine and wind. Needless to say, sleep was a minimum the first night along with a mattress that is too SOFT. I inquired with the desk and they replied, "yes, it's hotter than usual so the air conditioner is running on the roof." What??? So, they are aware of this and continue to put people in these rooms. They offered to move us, which we accepted. The bellman said, "its very common for people to move". Guess they just roll the dice with when you arrive with who might be a heavy sleeper and assign them to these rooms. However, even during the day it was awful. Very nerve-wracking and I am very laid back! Now, about the decor.

Being a historic hotel the lobby is welcoming with a grand staircase and other architectural features. However, anything that is not a structural feature of this hotel needs a facelift badly (with the exception of the seating area under the stairs) from the flower arrangement in the foyer, to the lounge, BUT particularly the GUEST ROOMS. The hotel has some Barbados connection, but really why does that matter when you are in Charleston. Seriously, our room had 3 different shades of RED fabrics with, mostly all solids with one floral giant from the 80's to boot. These rooms are in need of a major re-do from an interior designer with a clean, peaceful, up-date style.

The valet and bellman staff were excellent and timely, but other than that I can not recommend this hotel and would be hesitant to ever stay there again, even for free.

Marianne

Room Tip: I would not stay on the 6th or 7th floor due to A/C noise, but honestly all the rooms are all dated...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Marianne C
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. We strive every day to create special experiences for our guests and we are truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please allow us to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had due to the mechanical issues you faced. We have taken note of this issue and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve continually.
I would also like to thank you for the kind comments about the bellman. We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel was top drawer, all the way. I was treated as valued guest from the moment I arrived until the moment I left. The room was lovely, maybe a bit small by today's standards, but it is a Historic Hotel and all that comes with that designation.

The location can not be beat, it is within walking distance to EVERYTHING. An while I may not have been there for a Rhodes Scholarship event, I do know how to spell it correctly.

Room Tip: Ask for something facing Queen Street. The views are wonderful
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear JBClark
Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your kind remarks are much appreciated. We try to exceed each guest's expectations and in your case we are pleased that we did indeed accomplish our goal. We hope that you will consider us for your future accommodations should you visit Charleston again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Staff was very friendly. The courtyard is beautiful. Hotel has a very elegant feel to it and is in a great location! We were able to walk to all the restaurants, city market and down to the water front. Would definitely go back! We booked our rooms through Priceline and ended up with an executive sweet!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear LiL_explorer129
Please accept my sincere thanks for taking the time to post a review of The Mills House Hotel on TripAdvisor. I have passed your kind remarks along to all of our Service Professionals. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Annandale, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Did not clean our room until late in the evening, therefore, we were lacking fresh linens when we needed to get dressed to go out. They supposedly gave us a credit for entertainment we didn't use, yet I have not seen a credit on my charge. Room and bath were extremely small. Bed was excellent and the service in the dining area was above and beyond. The grounds are beautiful. The location is great as it is within walking distance of great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Carolyn B
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I have passed your comments along to all of our Service Professionals. Please be assured that we have taken your feedback on housekeeping very seriously. We would very much appreciate it if you would consider us for your accommodation needs on future visits to Charleston.
Regards,
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We didn't actually stay here, but passed the hotel many times and thought it was delightful. We went in and had lunch at the restaurant. Very enjoyable and staff helpful. We want to go back and stay. BTW, the holiday decorations in the lobby were beautiful.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear FrancesDecatur,
Please accept my sincere thanks for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I have passed along your kind remarks to the restaurant service professionals. It is our hope that you will consider us for accommodations also on your next visit to Charleston.
Warmest regards
John Edwards

Been to The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!