“Purchased standard room for $99 on Christmas Eve! Worth every penny” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   115 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Purchased standard room for $99 on Christmas Eve! Worth every penny”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I found this great trick on the "name your own price" website, which i will not name here - I'm sure it's against policy. But with bigger cities, N.Y.C, Chicago, L.A., Atl, and tourist-oriented cities (Charleston SC) it's really possible to stay in the nicest hotels for 50% off - even at the last minute. The Mills House is one of the nice, old 4-star Charleston hotels in the heart of the hisotric district. With the hotels rates regularly more than $200, I was thrilled with the deal I got - and the hotel was nearly sold out.

The downside to "name your own price," is that the website pick the hotel for you, and once you submit your credit card, that's it - no changing your mind. So most people are reluctant fearing they'll be given a crapy room in a flea-bag motel. Well fear not, because with Charleston, and the other cities I mentioned, you can pick the minimum "Star Level" you desire, which in this case was a "4." AND you can pick the general area, in this case "downtown hisotric district." So how can you go wrong? It woldn't have mattered to me what hotel i was given, becasue I know it would be an excellent choice, e..g. minimum 4-star in the hisotric district.

Now, the hotel itself (my second stay) is not opulent, but it is charming and has all the ammenties you'd expect in a 4-star property. Walking distance to many of the best restaurants, and valet that's the smae price as the public parking garge, 2 blocks away.

The standard room is small, but plenty big enough for 2. I've never seen the delux rooms and suites, but I'm sure they're wonderful too. So whether you get lucky enough on the "name your own price" website or you pay rate, and choose the Mills House on the front end - this is a fine hotel, with a friendly staff - not as snooty as ome others in town.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 619, which is a standard (least expensive) room, and had a nice view, though it cou...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear PaulieGMYRTLE,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you were pleased with your stay at The Mills House Hotel. I will pass along your remarks to the staff. Here's hoping that you have a very Happy New Year and that you will consider us the next time you visit Historic Charleston.
John Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Hopewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and I have stayed in The Charleston Place (cla$$y) in center of Charleston for many years. We decided to try The Mills House this Christmas. I called a month ahead and discussed rates and was given an upgrade to a suite for almost 1/3 the cost of The Charleston Place standard room. It was furnished better, was warmer, and had a large screen HDTV. The halls, the lobby, the lounge - all were well furnished, full of floral displays, and of course Christmas trees everywhere.
Parking is easy, and in my opinion, cheap. The hotel is located 2 blocks from the center of town. The staff was pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable about the town, services, transportation, etc. Bellman Ross helped load/unload luggage, reviewed services, and gave us a bit of history, all during our moving in! The courtyard is wonderful for relaxing and listening to live entertainment. We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Hopewell Joe,
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of the Mills House Hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Mills House Hotel. We have shared your comments with our service professionals, especially Ross.
Best wishes for a Happy New Year and we hope you will consider The Mills House for future visits to Charleston.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My first time in Charleston and it was memorable. The rooms are beautifully appointed, the lobby is warm and comfortable and the hotel centrally located. I can't say enough about the staff - in particular Nancy, Elliott, Diane and Robin in the bar and restaurant, Miss Elaine in Room Service, Bellman Johnny and Jim as well as Rob and Jasen at the Front Desk. However I must save my best praise for Miss Frieda in the kitchen -- probably the best omelet I have ever had! Thank you for a lovely week.
Sandra G.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are lovely but Queen Street can be noisy in the morning -- yet I will still req...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Sandra344
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of the Mills House Hotel. We are very pleased that your visit was a memorable one! We have shared your comments with our service professionals, especially, Nancy, Elliott, Diane, Robin, Elaine, Johnny, Jim, Rob, Jasen and Freda.
SAINT LOUIS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Lovely entry with lots of areas just off the lobby to sit and relax. Our room over looked St. Phillip's church tower, the bridge and the harbor. The room was nicely furnished and comfortable. The only draw back was that the bathroom was quite small. The staff was attentive and helpful. Nice touches such as wonderful eggnog and cookies in the lobby every afternoon. Valet parking was handy and quick.
The hotel's close proximity to so many downtown attraction and restaurants is a real plus. Lots to see and do within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
Dear Margarette B,
Thank you for taking the time during this busy holiday season to review the Mills House on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to our service professionals. After all, it is their hard work that results in reviews like yours! Best Wishes for a Happy New Year. I hope that you will consider us for your accommodation needs on any future visits to Historic Charleston
Regards,
Shallotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

First of all let me say we love the Mills House, have stayed there many times in the past & will stay there again in the future. That being said there are a few things to be aware of. This is not the original Mills House, but one that was opened circa 1970. It is in the heart of the Charleston Historic District & the location could not be better. The rooms can be somewhat small, so I suggest you request a corner room on the Meeting Street side of the property.

There a no micro-fridges or microwaves in standard rooms, although we did have a small suite once with a fridge & wet bar & there is a large apartment available for a significant price w/ a full kitchen. The Mills House is also not very tech friendly, having one of the worst Internet connections I've ever tried to use. On the other hand, I don't stay there to sit around & surf the web either.

Anyway, we always enjoy our time here & the staff is always top-notch! Be sure to drop by the lounge & say Hello to our friend Lucy while enjoying a libatious refreshment!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear TEMShallotte_N_C_,
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. We are pleased that you had a great experience. I will share your comments with our Service Professional, Luci. She is truly a valued employee! Thank you for your feedback on our internet. You may be interested to know that we are currently working on improving our internet capabilities.
Wishing you the best during this Holiday Season!
John Edwards, General Manager
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My new fiancé and I chose to stay at the MIlls House after having 2 great stays here in years past. Lots of good memories, so when deciding how and where to propose this hotel immediately came to mind. The staff here is extremely helpful and accommodating, specifically Mike and Zack at the front desk. Both went to great lengths to make sure everything(music,privacy, etc..) was perfect when it came time to pop the question. I really can't say enough good things about Mike and Zack and the staff at the Mills House in general. It's things like these that ensure we'll be back again.

Dear Nathan S,
First of all, Congratulations! We are so pleased to hear that you chose our hotel for your very special occasion. I have passed your comments along to Mike and Zack. We are indeed lucky to have them as Service Professionals! Thank you for being such a valuable guest. We look forward to having you stay with us again-as husband and wife!!!
Wishing you the best of the Holiday Season,
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were really looking forward to our second trip to Charleston. I would say this hotel is an OK place to stay. We booked through priceline name your own price, and thought this would be great since it was rated four stars. The lobby area is very well kept and nicely decorated. The valet situation was not great. There are three spaces in front of a very busy road. I did not like how the drivers make an illegal U-turn in your car to go to the deck they park at. Also allow at least 20 minutes for them to retrieve your car. The first day we waited at least 30 minutes and then the valet responded to us, "This isn't your car?" well they brought us the wrong car! The room walls are paper thin like the reviews I read. The beds are not comfortable. My husband never has back issues and after the first night his back hurt. The mattresses were really bad quality. The rooms have old furniture that should be replaced. You have to request a mini fridge if you want one. To me there were more cons than pros. A few pros it was a good location, when there was an issue it was fixed. The rooms were always clean. I did not like the fact that a bagel and OJ is $7 for breakfast. I will not be returning there are too many other places in Charleston that are really 4 star material. Try French Quarter Inn we stayed there the year before and it was more expensive, but in the end it is worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Caitlin B,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your visit to The Mills House. Please be assured that we take your feedback very seriously. It is our hope that you will consider us for future visits to Charleston.
Wishing you the very best during this Holiday Season!
John Edwards

Been to The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!