“Very Nice Hotel close to everything” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Very Nice Hotel close to everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My mom and I just got back from a stay at the Mills House I loved it. My room was very nice I reserved a room with 2 queen beds overlooking the pool patio area. Check in was a breeze it was a little tricky finding somewhere to pull up went around the block a spot opened up. I was greeted right away by a bellman asking if I needed help. The lobby was gorgeous very nice short wait for check in I unloaded checked out the room did the usual inspection as I work in hotels so I know where to check and what to check. Everything was clean clean clean no stains anywhere no evidence of any little friends. I had heard the bathrooms were small but it was nothing that would upset my stay. I thought it was fine. I loved the fact that I had a patio door that opened right up to a patio that is right by the pool. They had tables and chairs and loungers right outside my room perfect spot to just relax. Beds were comfortable and when we checked in there was chocolates by the pillow with a note card from the GM very nice touch. I loved that the hotel was pink my favorite color. I loved the location very close to the market and King St. We were in the mood for something sweet around 11pm and looked up and saw a place right by the market was open late a quick walk. I parked in the parking garage on Queen St which is nice there is a walkway on the 4th floor connected right to the hotel right to the pool deck very easy access to get to my car. I left it there after checkout to do some more shopping. I would recommend this hotel for everyone I got a great rate through Walmart Associate disc program. I will stay again with my Husband next time for sure.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room overlooking the pool and one with a balcony or level with the pool patio area
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Mills House Hotel is conveniently located for walking through the historic areas of Charleston, King Street, and College of Charleston. The rooms are nice and relatively clean. The prices were higher than many resorts in the Caribbean, perhaps because we made the mistake of coming during a PGA tournament. The parking is relatively expensive at $24 per day plus tips to get the car in & out for drives to the beach. Given the price, especially for a Saturday night, I was quite shocked to see plastic cups everywhere, in the bathrooms and even by the drinks in the lobby. The pool was nice, with hand towels for beach towels. Be prepared for noise, with bells ringing when the elevator opens, and early-morning food delivery drucks idling loudly outside of the rooms. The concierge was very helpful, friendly and energetic.

Room Tip: Don't take a room by the elevator. And, try to avoid getting a room that is near the food deliv...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Johnston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Millshouse for a couple of nights for our 16th wedding anniversary. Upon checking in a very nice young lady by the name of Emily waited on us. I asked if I could get a room with a view other than of the alley way because I really wanted our trip to be special. She said yes maam I will get you a good one. Well she not only got us a great view but she put us up on the 7th floor! It was wonderful, we could see the water from both windows and many historic sites as well. Our room was very spacious and it was so quiet up there we werent disturbed by any slamming doors or anything. WE LOVED IT! I had been to the Millshouse prior to this trip for business but knew I wanted to bring my husband back so he could see how beautiful it was. We will definitely be staying here again! It is close to everything and we walked everywhere and never once got the car out of the parking garage. Thank you so much Millshouse Hotel and Emily for making our stay a truly memorable one! Ohhh and the complimentary lemonade in the lobby on a hot Summer day was wonderful as well. I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know that is planning a trip to Charleston!

The McKinneys
Johnston, SC

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Everybody loves a bargain. We got a great rate on a midweek stay, which simply added to our overall enjoyment of this property.

Parking is a bit tricky. Pull up to the front of the hotel and leave your car along the curb for valet parking...$24/day with in/out privileges. Turn on Queen St immediately before the hotel and park in a municipal garage for $20/day (no in/out). There is a pedestrian ramp from the garage directly to the hotel, which makes this very convenient. Charleston is an extremely walkable city, so you probably won't need to move your car. Unless you really think you will need in/out privileges, I would opt for the city garage over valet.

Our room was very large (@250 ft sq) with large bathroom. The closet was a bit small and oddly set within the bathroom. We had a functional desk, a comfortable sofa, a working refrig and a king bed.

There is a nice outdoor pool and adjacent patio area. A central courtyard off the hotel restaurant was a beautiful spot for breakfast or late drinks. Meeting rooms are fine for smaller groups, i.e., <100. Larger groups would be hard pressed to use this property.

There are so many things within walking distance that I won't even begin to hit them all. You can easily walk to the Battery, the Market, great shopping along King St., shops and galleries of all kinds around every corner.

There are many wonderful places to stay in Charleston and I would put Mills House well up on the list.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of hotel may have noise from nearby dumpster in the early morning. Rooms along Mar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Having once lived in Charleston and knowing the Mills House Hotel then as a beautifully restored post Civil War grande dame of hotels, it is hard to imagine how it fell into the hands of Holiday Inn.

The building and its accoutrements are still reasonably preserved but no longer does it shine as it once did. From the front desk ‘commercial’ approach to service to the subtle deterioration of décor and up keep, the hotel is in need of TLC. It is not getting it and is obviously living off the efforts of previous managements.

A must see in Charleston but maybe not the must do it once was. In a nutshell, well located but over priced with better alternatives for the $ available. Nice place for lunch.

Room Tip: Since many rooms with different exposures to streets, may want to preview room prior to check-in
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Caribbean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I loved this little hotel!!

Check-in was easy and the lobby was beautifully appointed - bright, spacious and Old-World feeling. Fresh, huge, beautiful floral arrangement were everywhere!

The room was small, I admit, but the king-sized bed was adorned with drapes, super comfortable and we had a great view of the street. There wasn't too much room for our suitcases but we made the best of it. The bathroom was well-appointed but a traditional Holiday-Inn type bath - nothing unique or fancy - but surely practical, clean and working!

Free wi-fi, coffee-maker, in-room safe pretty much rounds-out this room. We didn't spend much time here so it was okay.

There is a roof-top pool which we enjoyed but wish had been heated. From here we could see a courtyard below to have a snack but we did not visit.

This hotel is in a great location to go walking all over! We went to the main shopping area (found an Apple Store), took the free trolley to the harbourfront, the Historic City Market. We even had a birthday dinner at the excellent upscale restaurant Grill 225.

Recommend wholeheartedly!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Downtown Charleston hotel, walking distance to great restrauants, beautiful hotel with old time character. Our room was small but had drapes over the beds creating the old fashion look, 3 steps down to the bathroom and exit. The bathroom door needed some fixing, very difficult to close. Door to patio overlooking the pool, kept private with curtains on either side of the chairs. Foyer had a beautiful chandelier and the double staircase and hall had been decorated in period fashion. This is a Holiday Inn hotel, but you wouldn't know it. Very Nice!

Room Tip: In room coffee maker, $2.00 for coffee downstairs. Stairs in our room might be a problem for some
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!