“Great Charleston experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Buffalo, New York
“Great Charleston experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed at the Mills House the last weekend of April. They were sold out of regular rooms so we had a suite which was very large though probably more money than we normally would have spent. It was built in the 1850's so it had tons of history and charm. The location was perfect - within walking distance to everything we wanted to do (the Battery/historical district, King St., the water, etc.) We had originally looked at a hotel on King St. but upon arrival realized that King St. is more touristy and also more collegey so we were very pleased to be where we were. We preferred to spend our time between Meeting and East Bay St and the water. The staff were all enormously polite and helpful. It had a small pool that was perfect to spend the afternoon when it was too hot to walk around being a tourist. They also had a few bars and a nice outdoor patio restaurant. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
montgomery
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We went with a teenage family and this was a very good choice. Old style charm and close enough for the sights so that we could walk Charleston and take in the colonial history. The place has a good sized pool and we saw that the younger children could also find a distraction in the water (I live in the south, so be wary, outdoor pools are warm from mid April to late Sept). Surprisingly, for a premium hotel I thought staff could have been a little more welcoming. The Poogan's Porch restaurant (featured in guides) is also just out of the back door (20 yds).

Room Tip: I would seek an upper floor as this is a downtown hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I recently stayed at the Mills House for 2 nights while on a work trip. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and responsive, the rooms and common areas were clean and the location in the historic city were hard to beat. However, I was a little disappointed with the size and furnishings of my room, which certainly didn't meet my expectations given the rate. Also while I was appreciative of the free wireless internet, it was unreliable and slow and I would have preferred to pay for a more consistent connection. Also, while the hotel pool area is beautiful, the best I can say for the exercise room was that I had it all to myself. The equipment consists of a single nautilus type weight machine, an elliptical, 1 recumbent and 1 upright bike and a single treadmill which stops abruptly based upon a wall timer. Still, the location and staff were more than enough to compensate for the few shortcomings and I had an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: My room had a view of "Husk" so I got to watch people eat their delicious meals, even thou...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Monroe, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I heard great things about this hotel, so my hopes were high. However, when we first arrived, we discovered that parking was $20 per day on top of the room rate! That was the first I had heard about it. We had reserved a room for 2 adults and 2 children, and asked for a baby cot (pack and play). When we got to our room, it had 2 double beds in it. Not full beds, double beds. Can you imagine sleeping with your spouse on a double bed, especially on vacation? No one would get any sleep. We asked to switch rooms, which they easily complied with. The staff was okay, but not great. We went through another hotel, and the staff was so friendly there that it made me realize all the more how mediocre the service was at this hotel. Bottom line: It's not horrible, not great, and not somewhere I would stay again.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I did a lot of research and read tons of reviews about hotels in the Historic district of Charleston. My prioreties were the following. (1). The hotel must be located directly in the historic district and withing walking distance to shops and restaurants so that I would not need to rent a car. (2). The hotel must have a clean and appealing pool area. (3). The reviews must indicate that the hotel in general is clean and staffed with friendly, helpfull employees. (4). The price range for my 2 night weekday stay is reaonable and comparable to other area hotels. Based on my research, I chose the Mills House Hotel. Upon arrival I knew that I had made a wise choice. The location was "perfect" and at no time would I have required the need for a car. A convientent but pricey cab ride back and forth from the air port was still cheaper than renting a car. If your not into walking you can take a bike taxi which was fun and promt. The hotel was very clean and the decor reflected the historic charm of Charleston.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

The historic Mills House Hotel offers wonderful off-street dining in a spacious outdoor courtyard adjacent to the hotel. On a warm Charleston evening, the hotel restaurant is a lovely spot to dine with that someone special, or gather for a family reunion. The menu is limited, but varied. The quality of the food and the prices are reasonable and the portions adequate for anyone's appetite. Sitting near the beautiful old fountain and watching the birds enjoying the splashing water was a secondary bonus for choosing this quaint historic landmark for an evening meal in Charleston.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
salisbury nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Mills House delivers all of what you want on your visit to Charleston..The rooms are just modern enough to offer up to date amenities (free wi-fi, big flat-panel TV), and still give you the feel of a historic hotel. The location is fantastic, and the great courtyard is the perfect place for an early evening or end-of-the evening cocktail. Although the food offerings are average at best, they do not detract from what is a great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!