We just returned from our 6 day trip to Savannah and Charleston (see separate review for Springhill Suites in Savannah). Everything at this hotel is first class. Here are our pro's and con's for this hotel.
1) Very big room. Very quiet room. We never heard the outside or other guests, even facing the street and on the second level. There is a big bathroom that comes with the all the amenities you would expect. To nit-pick, the hair dryer is weak, but gets the job done with a little extra time.
2) The concierge is very good. If you need directions to just about anywhere, they have a pre-printed card with directions to the site and back to the hotel. They also have a huge book with menus in case you are undecided for dinner.
3) LOCATION! This hotel is right smack dab in the heart of the city. Walk outside and you are on Market Street with its open air craft market and shops on either side. Walk towards the water and you are on East Bay Street with numerous restaurants. Walk out the other side and you find yourself on King Street with its high end shops. It is within a 10 minute walk to the waterfront and the cruise terminal. We walked down to the Aquarium Wharf, where we caught the ferry to Ft. Sumter, but that was about a 20 minute walk. It was a scenic walk though, and of course, the concierge had pre-printed directions to get there.
1) No WiFi. Because of the construction of the rooms, WiFi is unable to penetrate the walls for wireless access. You do have free wired access.
2) Nothing else.
This hotel has such a Southern Charm feel to it. It reminded you that you were in the South, unlike most of the "chain" hotels. I would not only recommend this hotel, but I would stay here again if I ever retruned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic Charleston’s premier hotel just minutes from famous homes, museums and churches. World-class luxurious accommodations including a full-service European spa; rooftop pool; “The Club,” a private concierge level located on the top two floors; award-winning dining; 28 exclusive boutiques and the legendary Orient-Express service, all in the heart of downtown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Belmond, Cheap Tickets, Amex, Splendia, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond Charleston Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Charleston Place By Orient-Express Hotel Charleston
- Place Hotel Charleston
- Charleston Place Hotel