“Top spot in Charleston!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% Off Third Night
Ranked #13 of 54 hotels in Charleston
“Top spot in Charleston!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Just had our third visit here and absolutely love it! The staff here makes you feel so welcome and special and although it is a bit pricey you cannot beat the location and service! To experience Charleston at its best stay at Charleston Place! Great restaurants too!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

1,537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We travel a lot, and Charleston Place is always our favorite place to be. Their friendliness and helpfulness on a consistent basis is better than any other place we have been, and we have stayed at a lot of 5 star places.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My family and I spent four nights in Charleston over Spring Break and spent two here and two at the French Quarter Inn (another review). Both were excellent but I'm giving this one the edge. The location is excellent with two of the most important streets straddling the city block location of the hotel - Meeting St running down to the Battery and King Street with its shops and restaurants. Additionally it sits at the head of the historic market. The hotel building itself is in the midst of a small stylish shopping arcade and is modern (though low key) rather than historic. Not really my ideal setting for a hotel but it does have three attractive courtyards which live up to the image of a luxury hotel.

We booked a deluxe junior suite. What we received was a large living room with both a dining table and living area with a separate master bedroom. It was a very nice suite and perfect for having two young children on the sofa bed. The scale of the room versus our other Charleston hotel really made a difference in my comparison. On our arrival evening we opted to have room service and I was very pleased to find that the in-room menu is actually the menu for the Charleston Grill, which is one of the reasons I chose the hotel in the first place due to its reputation as leading restaurant in a city famous for food. We had an excellent room service experience with a highly polished French waiter arriving at our room and setting the dining table for a full white linen three course meal. The food was of course excellent (and the children's needs were catered for).

The hotel has a grand lobby with two sets of sweeping stairs heading to the second floor. There was a little more foot traffic through the lobby than I am familiar with but I do think that it was not so much due to the shops rather than the hotel seems to be very popular with the local crowd for lunches, cocktails and dining. We spent an evening at the actual Charleston Grill itself and the hotel's bar - it would be an error to stay there and not enjoy the full service experience of those venues. The Charleston Grill itself was excellent - great food but the service was exceptional.

It not a perfect hotel but the room combined with food and service that lives up to the imagined south makes a great combination.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Very nice and clean place to stay. The staff was helpful and very friendly. This place is near the market district close to many landmarks. I would definitely stay here again. You can't go wrong. Many great restaurants to try.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The hotel itself is absolutely full of charm and elegance! Also, the gardens and landscaping outside the hotel is phenomenal on its own! Aside from it being gorgeous and having wonderful rooms, plus a fantastic location that's accessible from 3 different streets, the hotel staff is wonderful! For starters, I went to the restaurant for breakfast and I ordered something which I didn't end up liking, and they were totally awesome, they let me order the buffet but let me have anything from the buffet, including hot stuff even though I asked for the basic buffet! Secondly, I was so careless that I left my wallet, with money, credit cards, and my ID, in the hotel room, and by the time I figured it out, I was already 2 hours away in Savannah. They overnighted it to me because I was leaving for New Jersey that day, and I just got it now, and nothing was out of place! STAY AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU'RE GOING TO CHARLESTON! I highly recommend it! Thanks Charleston Place, I will return to Charleston solely to visit the hotel, and for the food! :)

• Stayed March 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

For me, the best part of this hotel was the location for sure! Starbucks right out the back door, right at the start of Market St. And much more!

I was also impressed with the food for their banquets. We were there for a multi-day event and it was surprisingly good for hotel food. The buffet chicken was moist & flavorful. They had little creme br��l��e desserts the one day and I thought they were very good!

My hotel room as a bit different. Apparently they have remodeled several sections and my room was not one of those... The musty smell in the bathroom was difficult to overcome the very first shower... The wooden floor entry almost killed me several times with how slick it was!!! Shoes, barefoot, socks, it didn't matter - it was like a cartoon how I would slip around on it. Actually banged my elbow hard the one time. And I'm a (relatively) fit 30 yr old!

Beware of the floor & musty smell.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Soundadvice07,

It sounds like you enjoyed aspects of your stay including the banquet food and our centralized location, but that your room was not what you expected. In the future, please let the front desk know if you are unhappy with your room and if there is space available they will be more than happy to move you to another room that better suits your needs. Thank you for your positive and constructive feedback.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel
Kennebunkport, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel is very welcoming and the new rooms on the 6th floor are very upscale. The problem is with the t.v. Cable that stutters every few mintues-very annoying if you just want to watch a little tube at night. A light was broken on the bed that was also annoying because we both could not read at the same time. The bathroom is very weird- I am very short and could barely brush my teeth as the counter with the sink was extremely high. The bathtub/shower was weird in that you have to sort of climb over the high side that is marble. It makes for a big and high bathtub but if you are at all elderly or unsteady it is an accident waiting to happen. They should put in grab bars for really anybody as it is so high. We stayed for 3 nights and the bed was very comfy and the food at the Palmetto is very good(the she crab soup is the best soup I have ever had) . The food is very pricey but if you want to splurge it is very good. I would go back but they need to attend to the above problems.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that has been renovated- the 6th floor is all done.