“Great location but needs updating” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
20% Discount on Suites
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great location but needs updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

In Charleston on business for a couple of nights. It had been a number of years since I'd stayed here and was looking forward to it. The hotel is located within walking distance to just about anywhere you'd want to go about town. You can actually self park your car in garage adjacent hotel operated by the city, which I think is a nice option. Also, you're not gouged like at many hotels. Probably because hotel does not own it. Anyway, staff very nice and attentive with restaurant recommendations etc. What really struck me was how much the old place was showing her age. Carpets worn, drapes dingy etc. The worst was how LOUD the ac was cutting on and off. Actually woke me up at times. I couldn't even have the fan run continuously. The cheap radio/alarm clock did not even have a sleep feature that cut music off after some time. Disappointing and not what I would expect from an Orient Express property.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We appreciate you sharing feedback on your stay with us. While I am glad to hear that you are a return guest, I am sorry that you were disappointed with your most recent experience. We strive for our rooms to reflect the ancestry of Charleston while still providing the most up to date accommodations. With this said, it sounds like you may have had a faulty AC unit. I am sorry we not have the opportunity to address this issue while you were on property. We do have a 24 hour engineering team and we encourage our guests to let us know if they have any issues during their stay. While we are disappointed to hear you had issues during your stay, we appreciate your valuable feedback. We hope you will choose to stay at Charleston Place on your next trip to Charleston.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had adjoining rooms and both were nicely updated. The a/c was a bit loud, and always on, but even though I'm a light sleeper it didn't really bother me. The staff was first rate and exceptional. From making the reservations to check in to my son accidentally locking himself out of his room, to the service at the restaurant and the bar, it was all smooth as silk. It's what a great hotel aspires to be. I'd be tempted to give it an "Excellent" except that I have to reserve that for an "OMG!"

Room Tip: We were almost right above the very busy car entrance (5th Floor) and never heard a single noise fro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Charleston Place is charming and unique. The front desk was exceptionally nice, and the concierge only seemed to happy to satisfy our needs. Our room was a suite on the third floor, it had a parlor area with a pull-out couch and a large bedroom. The only downside was that the bedroom, although quite big, did not have a window. Th lobby is magnificent, and the location can not be beat. This was my third time returning here, and hopefully a fourth time will be in the near future!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is a lovely property with the feeling of opulence and elegance from a more traditional time. Very well trained bell and front desk staff. Lobby is elegant and the bar off the lobby has a great feel. Location is in the heart of town with lots of dining options within walking distance. My room had some wear issues that should be corrected in terms of wallpaper and finishes. Biggest problem I had was being near the hotel laundry which kept up a steady drone and vibration. They offered to move me but it wasn't worth it. Just be sure to ask about your room's location vis a vis this noise factor.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not near the hotel laundry which is noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I spent three nights in Charleston at the Charleston Place Hotel, arriving on February 24, 2013. At the suggestion of the young lady at the reservation desk, we opted for the Club Level, and it is certainly worth the extra cost! The staff could not have been more accommodating and the hotel was comfortable and elegant. We enjoyed our stay and will return...at the Club Level! We had an excellent breakfast, afternoon tea, and a great cocktail evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed for two nights on a whim and everyone was wonderful. From the valet who opened my car door upon arrival to the bellman who collected our luggage on departure, the service was first rate. Orient Express really trains their staff well. One bellman even joked w/ me 2 days in a row about my raincoat, showing that he remembered me - imagine how many people run through there!

The room was comfortable and clean, but a little dated. Same goes for the spa - it could really use a face lift. We stayed on the club level for this trip - we have been to Charleston Place a few times - and I highly recommend it. Aske for the 8th floor instead of the 7th. It's more convenient to shuttle food & drinks to your room. We had dinner at the Charleston Grill and it was excellent, but that's another review... look for it!

Room Tip: Choose Club Level, 8th floor for best experience
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

This sprawling hotel does a good job of evoking classic Charleston despite its young age. The staff are friendly and efficient. The rooms are clean and large. This is a fine business hotel in a good location. It's pricey but appropriate for its business clientele.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Belmond Charleston Place? Share your experiences!