“Magnificent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Ocean, NJ
“Magnificent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

What an outstanding hotel! Charming and elegant. It didn't hurt that we stayed over the Christmas holiday. The decor was so festive. The food, the room, the service, the location, but especially .... staying on the "Club" floor! We walked to everything, absorbed the history and ate at some of the most fabulous restaurants. The shops located right in the lobby of the hotel made it too easy to spend money. It was great! The employees could not have been more accommodating and friendly. Even with all the dogs. We didn't have one, and I was put off a little at first, but I got used to seeing them everywhere.

Room Tip: Stay on the 7th or 8th floor. They are the "Club" floors. Spacious rooms and they have th...

1,602 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Clarkston, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The entrance to the hotel was a bit hard to find as it is not on the main street. Valet parking was available for $29. Self park, which was only steps away was $14. Check in was very friendly and efficient. We asked for and received an upgrade for no additional charge. (I had purchased the room from LMT). The room was large, unfortunately the view was that of the parking structure. The bed was comfortable. The linens, window coverings and shower curtains were of beautiful fabrics in greys and yellows. The room had a large desk with 2 chairs, a love seat and coffee table. There was an amoire in place of a closet. The furniture was period. The bathroom was large with 2 sinks and a vanity with drawers - nice for storage. There was also a scale (not sure that is a plus while on vacation!), a magnifying mirror and Gilchrist and Soames toiletries. My only compliant was the shower head was not very good and was not accomodating to tall people. Turn down service was advertised but we never received it. The lobby was decorated for the holidays - and wow they did it right. There were several decorated trees and a huge train display. The hotel is located right in the heart of shopping, dining and bars. The service was outstanding. Would definitely stay here again.

Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Rolls and rolls of ribbons, ornaments, magnolia leaves & garland were wrapped around every column and banister. Opulent Christmas trees were breathtaking but the real stunner was the huge train set in middle of lobby w/ 2 concurrent trains winding around a snowy mountain and a skycar going to the top and back. Kids were standing up and down the double staircase in awe of this "show." I could have watched for hours. We had a spectacular jr. suite (an upgrade I might add) that was beautifully appointed plus 2 tv's: one in the living area and one in the bedroom. We received a "surprise" gift from the mgr. of a bottle of wine, fruit and cheese platter and sparkling water delivered to our room. The service was top notch the entire time. I highly recommend the crab omelet for breakfast at the hotel...it was scrumptious although it was pricy! There is an attended coffee shop/cart set up in the lobby for quick coffee & pastries if you prefer. Enjoyed being able to walk down the wings of the lobby and shop in the Godiva store, Pandora, etc. The Brighton store is right there if you like that store as much as I do! Can't wait to go back to this hotel and be spoiled again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We came to Charlston for a long weekend in November, and our experience wouldn't have been the same without our stay the Charleston Place. From the time we checked in to the time we left, we recieved nothing but the most professional and friendly service. Everyone from the front desk, to breakfast staff, to the bar was phenomenal.

The hotel is also beautiful. They had decorated for Christmas, and the lobby was stunning. The energy level is great, and the lobby bar was a very pleasant place to hang out. The rooms were stunning. Overall one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

The location of the hotel is very helpful for experiencing the historic district. It is in the middle of everything. We walked everywhere. Close proximity to the attractions, shopping and restaraunts.

Just a great overall experience and we will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lake City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at Charleston Place for three nights during Christmas. The deluxe king room, their smallest, is a large room with a proper foyer, bedroom with two seat sofa and desk, and a bathroom with two sinks. This hotel is in the league with the Four Seasons in Seattle and the Huntington Hotel in San Francisco. The room was more spacious and elegant than the Biltmore Hotel in Asheville. We enjoyed breakfast in the hotel restaurant. It was expensive, but delicious. The location borders on King and Market, close to all the shops and restaurants. The service from valet to housekeeping is excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators are more quiet. Guests forget to lower their voices as they walk the h...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Charleston and made the reservation based on good reviews this hotel had gotten, its location and the fact that is was "pet friendly". The staff was very helpful and friendly but the hotel seemed a little worn and tired for the price. The real reason I'm writing this review and what made me mad is that when I booked the resv and then called the hotel to let them know I was bringing my well behaved non-shedding dog, neither the web site nor the person who answered the phone let me know about the $95 pet fee. When I mentioned this to the person checking us in she insisted it was on the website. I checked again twice and have not been able to find it. It was Xmas so we paid it without arguing. The hotel also does not allow guests to go out and leave their pets in their rooms alone so going out to dinner for Xmas would have been impossible. We ended up drugging our dog so there would be no chance of him making a peep. Not that he normally does. They suggest pet sitters. I recommend Charleston Place stop accepting pets and take all of the money they've collected from unsuspecting pet owners and invest in new furniture and wallpaper.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mukilteo, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had to be in Charleston for business and got a good corporate rate so I decided to do something different than a Hilton for a change. I am glad I did. What a wonderful place! Everyone says people in the south are friendly, but as a Yankee I was skeptical. I was wrong. Every staff member I interacted with was as nice as nice could be.

The room was beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean. Even the bathroom had decor. The lobby was still decorated beautifully for Christmas.

I arrived late in the evening and discovered that the main restaurant's kitchen closes at 10. The room service menu didn't have anything that looked good at that moment so I wound up in the bar having several tapas plates and a beer. I had three items and they were all delicious.

On the second morning I decided to splurge on breakfast in the hotel. On future trips it won't be a splurge, it will be a necessity. I've seen larger buffets but none as good from end to end as this one. The scrambled eggs actually looked like scrambled eggs rather than a gelatinous yellow mass. They had excellent cheese blintzes. My server Franklin actually described the attributes of my coffee choice. I have never ever had someone do that.

The bacon was so good that I'm devoting a separate paragraph to it. It was without a doubt the best bacon I have ever had in my entire life anywhere in the world. Apple smoked and sliced just right; not too thick and not paper thin. It was cooked to that sweet spot between limp and over crisp like a potato chip. It took all my self discipline to stop eating it and walk away. I would come back just for breakfast.

The only negative I can come up with is the daily parking fee. I know the hotel is downtown but $15 per day for self parking and double that for the valet is a bit much even with unlimited in and out privileges.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Belmond Charleston Place? Share your experiences!