“Charming southern hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Chicago, Illinois
“Charming southern hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Friends and I spent a glorious weekend in the charming city of Charleston. We were fortunate to have chosen the lovely Charleston Place as our hotel. It is right in the center of historic Charleston, large enough to be lively but friendly enough to feel "small". We enjoyed superb service from the concierge who made restaurant and tour reservations for us, answered our questions and was most cheerful and helpful. The Club Floor that we chose was generous in the extreme. The abundance and quality of food and drink available all day and night was remarkable and the service delightful. Our rooms were traditionally and beautifully decorated, most comfortable and welcoming. The beds and pillows made it a treat to retire. I highly recommend this hotel for your sojourn to Charleston.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

1,540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I recently spent a long weekend at Charleston Place. The location and staff were excellent. The lobby area was very inviting> That is the good news. The rooms were nothing special and very noisy as the walls were paper thin so you could here everyone and thing. Not a hotel for light sleepers. It is a tough call as the staff went out of their way to make your stay special but I do value my sleep.......Their restaurant Charleston Grill was outstanding.

Room Tip: get a room far away from the elevators
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband was exhibiting at the SECF (Southeastern Council on Foundations) conference which was held at this hotel. The service was wonderful. Enjoyed the beautiful pool/fitness center area and the charming staff. Absolutely loved the location near fab shopping on King Street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm on the site selection panel for a group that meets three times a year at varying locations around the country. My wife and I arrived last night and everyone else arrives today. I'll have a lot of apologies to make. This place is a joke! The expectation from the group is Sanctuary/Montage/Greenbrier level luxury. This is an all churched up pretender, a poseur. This hotel is immediately "off the list" and I will let my feelings be known to the national group our group belongs to. So if you are booking a meeting or conference expecting a reasonable level of luxury, "this ain't it."

So, "what happened" you say? A good stay starts with a sincere welcome and a good night sleep. Well, last night, we were a late arrival around 9pm and Ted, our rather smug front desker did say "double" something when he gave us our keys. We reserved a king. Got youth hostel doubles. Went back down. Ted said "that's all we have." No offer of "if something comes available, we'll move you." I got the distinct impression that if you book and get the "convention rate," that's all they are going to give you. The old bait and switch. Book a king and for the discounted convention (or any discounted) rate and they are going put you in very uncomfortable youth hostel beds. I"m 6'2" tall and I woke up this morning with my feet hanging a foot off the edge of the bed. My wife and I, after 15 years of marriage, prefer to sleep in the same bed. Not happening in this hovel. I have awakened sore, grumpy, and tired. As I said, a good stay starts with a good night's sleep. Not good, not good at all.

And there's more. The Motel 6-level toilet seat. The tenement house-quality bathroom door. The dirty-when-we-got-here wash cloth, the small TV with half of the channels fuzzy, the phone with the buttons that don't work, and the expensive room service coffee that tastes like instant.

I have never written a review while at a hotel before. This first 10 hours has been so disappointing, I felt a need to warn others as soon as possible. If this is what Charleston is passing off as luxury, then it's just a low expectation, backwater, swamp town. Actually, I do know that the area offers better. The Sanctuary was fabulous and I stayed at another hotel here years ago that was great but I can't remember it's name.

The only reason I gave the hotel 2 stars is because of it's central location. That's it. That's all it has going for it. And it definitely is not worth the price, even at the discounted convention price. I'm out of here tomorrow. Tonight, I'll sleep on the floor. Gotta be more comfortable.

Room Tip: Beware of reserving a king and falling prey to their bait and switch youth hostel doubles.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Pramstroker,
I'm truly sorry to learn that you weren't completely happy with your accommodations at the hotel and sorry that our front desk team could not accommodate your request for a king bed when you checked in. As you've read in previous review responses, we always empower our associates to assist in problem solving, so I am sorry that we did not perceive your problem as being as serious as it was to you.

Please also know that we pride ourselves in serving a variety of guests. We often serve as a hotel for groups or meetings and also have many leisure travelers who stay with us. It is our goal to have all of our guests be repeat guests, regardless of whether they are here for buisness or leisure travel. If you are still on property, please contact me so we can try to move you to more suitable accommodations.

Paul Stracey
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I have celebrated our last three wedding anniversaries here-great couples massage-comfortable rooms, perfect location for walking around Charleston and fabulous dinners at the restaurant~~very helpful staff as well

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

While visiting Charleston, SC, we stayed at Charleston Place. The hotel was a very nice. Our room was on a club level floor and the amenities (food and drinks) were excellent. The staff was friendly and the rooms were very well appointed. We would definitely stay there again. Charleston was filled with great food and lots of history!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had a work function and the event was held at CPH. We carefully reserved a king room and upon check=in were told they never promise a king bed. Funny, we had made the reservations and nothing was mentioned, even called several times to ensure all was set (hurricane was approaching) and again no mention of an issue. Needless to say my husband and I pitched a major league tantrum and talked with the manager. They placed us in a basic room with 2 DOUBLE beds and the next day were able to change our room. We stayed 4 nights and had purchased 2 rooms (family attended as well). People are Charleston friendly and we used the conciege quite a bit. Always willing to help, not necessarily great suggestions for restaurants. "Fish" was lousy food. "Hanks" is terrific but not open for lunch even during w/e's. Great location and terrific shopping to wear out ones shoes. Antiques close by. Fun to also take an hour carriage ride, but note that you don't get options of what or where to go. City makes the tours dudes go via lottery and there are 3 predetermined routes. You get what you get. $135 not bad and our tour guide was very knowledgable and from CA originally. Great town, can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Belmond Charleston Place? Share your experiences!