“Feels like a fancy French hotel, but in the heart of the south” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Baltimore, Maryland
“Feels like a fancy French hotel, but in the heart of the south”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We were driving back from Hilton Head and stayed at the Renaissance Charleston Hotel from July 24-25. The lobby looks like it is a fancy French hotel, or Buckingham Palace. Our room wasn't quite ready yet. We only had to wait half-hour. We stayed in the "Walpole Suite" Room 529. Everything was spotless when we walked in. There are two big rooms. There is a big living room with a flat screen tv, and a big bedroom with two big doors with curtains on them. The bedroom is the size of a guest room, with a queen sized bed in it, and a flat screen. I slept in the bedroom with my mother, while my brother and father slept on the sofa bed. There are two rooms in the bathroom. There is one room with two sinks and a closet, and a room with a toilet, and a shower. There even is a door to the toilet/shower room that locks. The shower even has handicapped rails. When I took a shower, I held onto the rail because I'm handicapped (epilepsy) so it was very safe and good for me. We had a great stay in a room designed for the Queen and King of England. I was thinking that they would have two bedrooms with a fancy name like Walpole suite, but they only have one. The pool is on the side of the hotel, in the sky, overlooking the city. We didn't go in the pool, but saw lots of little splashing kids. Looked annoying. So be aware when you go to the pool. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stayed here in April to attend a wedding. It seemed that there were several other wedding guests staying at this hotel as well (for other weddings). Apparently Charleston is the #2 Wedding Destination in the country behind Las Vegas! The hotel was very conveniently located. It was around the block from the church the wedding ceremony was held (Trinity United Methodist) and walking distance to several shops and restaurants. We were able to easily walk to the Market where the carriage rides are. We did have to wait quite a while to get a cab when we wanted one. I had read it was quite easy to get cabs in Charleston, but at least the weekend we were there it was not. Jestine's restaurant is down the block. We got their "coca-cola cake" to go and it was delicious! The rooms were clean and comfortable - not luxurious, but also not run down. I would stay here again if I had a good rate.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Waxhaw, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Everything about this hotel was beautiful. I even got a great price on priceline for $180 a night which is well below rack rate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We were at the end of a long road trip and wanted to spend a long day and night in Charleston. We usually stay at Marriotts and wanted to be in the historic district. We called from the road a few hours before arriving and got a decent rate here. Parking is in a garage across the street for $12/day but they waived it for us. We were not disappointed when we walked in the lobby. Very open with a waiting carafe of cold lemonade which was just what we needed after a long drive. Our room on the top floor (6th) was typical Marriott/Renaissance. Very clean and pretty when you open the door. Good mattress, typical Marriott small pillows. Decent size bathroom but the toilet, for some strange reason, was very close to the bathtub. So close that the outer shower curtain made of terrycloth rubbed your legs. There was no need for it to be that close. Not a big deal though. The lighting in the bathroom, though, wasn't good. Not very bright. Our view was of rooftops but I don't think there was a view anywhere unless you were in a tall highrise. The location was terrific. Walking distance to everything. It was great not to have to rely on a car or a hotel shuttle to take you anywhere. The hotel concierge was also very helpful in making a restaurant reservation for us. Rather than paying the premium for a hotel breakfast the next morning, the front desk clerk recommended a cafe a few blocks from the hotel which served a good breakfast at half the price.This wasn't a quaint Charleston inn or B&B but overall, it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I have been returning to The Renaissance Charleston Hotel during Spoleto Festival (May/June) for the past several years because it's hard to beat their location, comfort and style. I have never been disappointed. European design with Southern hospitality, excellent service, large rooms with down comforters, dreamy beds and stylish sitting area...some with balconies, roof-top pool and gym. The hotel feels more like an Inn--very friendly and personable, but with full amenities and service. Parking garage across the street can be valet or self-service. You can walk to most shopping (King Street is directly behind the hotel), restaurants and historic attractions or catch a jitney ride. A new great place to stop in for a drink and appetizer (tuna tar tar) is the popular Mediteranian "Muse," right outside the door.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Hampstead, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I won this hotel on priceline for 120.00 a night . this was my first time using priceline and I had asked for a 4 star hotel . The room was in front of the elevator very noisey and over looked the pool which at first I thought was charming but. I am sure pool visitors could see right into our room, not cool for a romantic night.. the room was very small and had no 4 star luxury or upscale aminities like a frig and bath prodoct were very limited, just shampoo and conditioner no lotions or extras.. the room also seem dated popcorn walls and tacky cheap furnishing. I know I sound a bit picky but 4 star should have all the above , I know this was a marrott but, seemed more like a low 3 star Iam sure we got the worst room because we booked thur priceline, maybe some of the other rooms where much nicer but I 'll never know .. location was great and staff was nice.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for three nights, June 24-27. We came to Charleston to get away for a while to relax, and the Renaissance was a great place to do so. We've traveled the world, and while this hotel will certainly not blow you away with luxury, it certainly is good place to come back to after a great night out.

The hotel's location is prime. Right between King St and Meeting St., you could walk to most of the best spots in Charleston. However, East Bay St, where probably the best food is, might be too far of a walk in the summer time, or all dressed up. But with King St. less than 200 ft away, you can find a ton of options.

The hotel was very clean. We did not have any issues with that. We had a king size bed on the second floor overlooking the courtyard. We did not use the bar/restaraunt, although they were both quite active while we were there.

Only negative might be parking. But please don't get hung up on this...parking in general in Charleston is a pain.

I still despise having to pay for internet...and that is the case here. Even on a leisure trip, I should not have to pay for it. That's just a personal issue.

But, all in all, I have to give a good rating to this hotel. Quiet and in a great spot, if your looking a great place in the heart of the historic distoric, then this is it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!