“A Renaissance in Charleston” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Discover Charleston Room
Ranked #33 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Bella Vista, Arkansas
“A Renaissance in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I booked the Renaissance through priceline at $158 a night but was worried after reading a few reviews. Let me remove all worries.

Getting to the Renaissance was a piece of cake; I26 to I526 to Meeting to Wentworth = 16 miles. We checked in with no problems. We elected to self park and was able to stay on the second level of the garage across the street. We then went to room 620. It was large, clean, and very upscale from the robes to the flat panel TV. We were very hungry so, against my norm, we had lunch on the hotel patio. I had the (lump) crab cake sliders. While pricey, they were the best crab cakes I had that weekend.

After lunch we walked a block down to Meeting. Jestines, a local favorite eatery, is on the corner. We turned went one block north to Society and walked it down to Bay street. We then returned to the hotel turning up Hassel to Meeting back to Wentworth. In this 6 block area, we were able to enjoy many million dollar abodes. They are not the multi million dollar abodes down by Battery Park. But a wonderful lwalk about near the hotel.
One block west on Wentworth is King Street. It has all the shopping your wife could ever want to do. That evening we dined at the hotel again. I talked the staff into letting me carry up room service. Normally they were falling all over themselves to help me. But I wanted to earn the points with my wife. :) I had the shrimp grits. I thought they were second to the grits at Jestines but my wife liked them better.

The next day we took a Rickshaw down to battery park ($9) since my wife's hip was hurting. We toured the Calhoun House and lunched at 82 Queen. We walked to Coach's for dinner that night.

At checkout, all I had on my bill was the 3 days parking since I had booked through Priceline and paid for all food and drinks as I received them. I printed my boarding passes out on their printer and took the short drive back to the airport.

There was one glitch in the otherwise wonderful weekend. The horse carriage tour could not go from the Renaissance to Battery Park from the Renaissance due to city regulations. So we basicly paid for a tour of what we walked the first day for free.

Inspite of that glitch would I go back? Absolutely!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
thlayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

If you have ever stayed at a Renaissance before then this is your typical Renaissance. It has a nice feel to it and the staff is attenttive. The location of this hotel is what is great. You are right in the middle of the historic district, one block from the shops on King and 2-3 blocks from all the restaurants.
The rooms are standard issue rooms. The gym is actually solid with multiple different cardio machines, weight machines and free weights. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Asheville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I love Charleston, SC and have always stayed at the Francis Marion or Charleston Place which are both great. However I can not say the same about this hotel. Upon arrival I showed my online confirmation code and get to a room. Well the room they send us to isn't a room it's a "hospitality suite" basically a room they do meetings in that they put two pull out beds in. The beds are hard and thin and they only give us 2 pillows when there was four in our party. So we requested a room change which was given to us without any problem. We get to the new room and it looks normal until we try to close the blinds, well the stick to the blinds broke completely off and we were not able to fully close the blinds for the rest of our stay. When I told John the front desk man about it, all I was told was that they could come close it for us. Which doesn't make much sense if it is broken. The beds in the room were nice and comparable to other marriott hotels but nothing spectacular. Our bathroom had mold in all the corners and we had issues with the hot water not working. The biggest problem came when we tried to checkout and were told that the bill was over $200 more than what was on my online printout. I went downstairs to talk to someone and spoke with George the front desk manager. He was flat out rude to my party saying first off that he wasn't going to honor what was on my confirmation and that it was my problem. He rolled his eyes at me and my party several times. (Apparently he was12) And when I came back to return the keys and get my parking fee's taken off because I had a handicap sticker he refused to come out of his office. When another member of my party went down to the lobby he was talking about our party within ear shot of other customers! I have yet to get my money back from my credit card company and I would rather stay at a motel 6 than ever grace that hotel again! I would say go to the Francis Marion or Charleston Place I have always had great service there! Oh and they also charge you for parking and you still have to pay the parking garage 13 dollars a day plus money to the parking garage!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Grantville, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We booked a 4-star hotel in downtown Charleston on Priceline, and our bid was accepted by the Renaissance. I had read mostly positive reviews, and checked out the website for photos and information. It is a very nice, upscale hotel in downtown Charleston, between Meeting and King Streets (the main thoroughfares). It's very easy to walk anywhere in the downtown area. Yet the location is very quiet and sheltered, seems almost secluded.

It is probably a 20-minute taxi ride from the airport (it cost approx. $35 + tip for a cab, the shuttle would be a little bit less).

We arrived between 3 and 3:30 pm and were greeted and helped immediately after we entered the lobby. The staff were friendly and very helpful, and there was a concierge on hand to answer questions about dining, directions, sightseeing, scheduling tours or whatever you wanted to do.

The room was well decorated, quiet, not huge but comfortably roomy, and the bed was very comfortable! The bath was lovely, with marble vanity (with plenty of counter space), oversize showerhead, curved shower curtain rod and a tiled ledge along the wall side of the tub (handy for setting things on, and for soaking in the tub with a drink and book).

TheSoutheast Wildlife Exposition was going on the weekend we were at the hotel, so I'm sure the rates were higher than a less busy weekend, but we checked the prices of lower category hotels, and they were comparable. So we were very happy to have stayed in such a nice hotel for about the same price.

We didn't use very many of the amenities - I think there was a rooftop pool, although it was too cool to swim while we were there. There is a restaurant/bar - Wentworth Grill, we didn't try it, but there was live music on Friday night. We didn't use room service, and we didn't look for the fitness center, so I'm not sure if there was one (I assume there was). Just walking around Charleston for a few hours is enough of a workout for us! We didn't drive, so don't know about parking, either.

We planned to walk to the cruise port on Saturday, but didn't because of rain. It was not a difficult walk to the pier, and would save the taxi fee and the hassle of waiting in line at the port - providing you pack lightly :) We did walk back to the hotel after our cruise, and asked them if we could leave our luggage with the bellman for a few hours, since our flight wasn't until almost 5 pm. They were very gracious to let us do so.

Our experience with the Renaissance was a very pleasant one - it's a clean, quiet, well decorated, attractive property, and I would stay again.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

This hotel has managed to incorporate some of Charleston's charm into its wonderful, quirky decor. It's a delight to stay in and we plan to return.

Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel - quiet. we had a nice room with a balcony. This part of town is quieter. Recommend this hotel - clean and nice staff.

Auburn, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

My wife and I just returned from a weekend trip to Charleston and a three-night stay at the Renaissance Marriott. We could not have had a better stay. The location of the hotel is second to none as it is less than a block off both King Street and Meeting Street. All the great attractions in Charleston are within walking distance from the hotel.

Our trip was made great because of the help from Suzanne, the Concierge at the Marriott. She made great recommendations for things to do, places to eat, etc. We took her up on all of her recommendations and enjoyed all of them. Our favorite activity was Tommy Dew's Walking Tour. Tommy is incredibly insightful and provocative.

We would recommend the Renaissance Marriott to anyone wanting to go to Charleston. It definitely helped that we got a great rate through Priceline. Without that, the price might have been a little too high.

• Liked — Location
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Renaissance Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!