“Watch out-the bed bugs DO BITE here!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Internet & Parking
Ranked #32 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, NC
“Watch out-the bed bugs DO BITE here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

I booked a last minute trip to Charleston for my fiancé and I through Priceline.com. I picked a 3 star hotel (because I put in such a low price I thought that's what I would get). To my surprise they upgraded me to a 4 star hotel (the Renaissance Charleston) which I was really excited about! That's a nice hotel for a good price I thought.
We got there on Friday afternoon and the room was very nice, as was the hotel.
Saturday morning I woke up and went into the bathroom and looked down at my legs and noticed a red bump, then another one, then another one....they were ALL OVER MY LEGS. After whipping out the computer and checking out the symptoms on WebMD and Google, I realized I had bed bug bites. Eww eww eww. They were all over both of my legs (below the knees) and my fiancé had a few on his leg as well but NOTHING like what I have.
I went downstairs and told the front desk and told the person working there and he switched our room-that was it. He asked if I wanted to go to the hospital, to which I said no, but that was it. No offer to pay for the room night, no upgrade, no room drop-NOTHING. I was really disappointed in them for that.
I have called today (Monday after the trip) and the engineering department is going to "investigate" my room (room 326) and get back to me. I called Priceline about disputing the charge and they have filed a report and will get back to me in 5 business days. I will post any updates.
I have included a picture of my poor legs. Can't belive that such a great weekend turned into this!

• Liked — It was in a great location
  • Disliked — The bed bugs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

542 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

The staff made our stay a treat. The concierge got us prime time reservations at popular restaurants on a very busy Memorial Day weekend, then followed up pleasantly. Tips were waved away several times for small courtesies. We overshot our vouchers for breakfast and cocktails EVERY time, but there was never a charge. I left my phone charger and camera charger in the room--they were overnighted to us immediately before I even missed them.

The room and lobby were fine; the location was good, but the people made the difference for us.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Tour bus stop adjacent to outdoor restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Providence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

I really like this location in this walkable city. It is my favorite Charleston property that is not on the waterfront. Located on a quiet side street of a primary thoroughfare, you can easily stroll to many of the nearby restaraunts and shops. Parking garage is across the street or valet if you choose. Starbucks in the lobby.

Rooms have been recently updated with the most current design schemes. They are clean and free from musty odors. The bedroom (very comfortable) and bathroom are of an average size and include a flat screen Hi Def TV, coffee maker, and a robe. Internet is available for a fee of $9.95 that includes free long distance. This hotel does not have a concierge lounge but does have a desk located in the lobby. Staff is very polite and happy to help with reservations of any kind.

Charleston is a great destination for couples to enjoy some southern hospitality. ttz

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

We had a wonderful time never being here before we did not know what hotel to choose . Using our marriott points we went with this one. Hotel was good pool is small and I do think they should have a shuttle from airport . but now being here I would not be so worried all the hotels and Inns in the historical section are great.

• Liked — loction ,
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

We stayed at this hotel 4 years ago and had a wonderful experience. We had expectations of another memorable visit....unfortunately....this will be our last visit here.
We do appreciate the location.....downtown, within walking distance to all the sights...that is it's only last remaining asset.
We checked in at about 4:30pm and the front desk clerk advised us that our room wasn't ready yet...he explained that the hotel had just checked out a large bus tour that took up 75% of the rooms and the maids were still scrambling to clean them.
When will our room be ready: I dunno?
Can we pay for an upgrade to club level/larger room: NO. (we are elite members and are sometimes comp'd upgrades)
Give me your cell phone number and I will call you when your room is ready....(by the way, check-in time is 3pm!!!)
We noticed the next bus group checking in a while later...
The rooms haven't been renovated in the past 4 years....in fact...they seem to have removed some of the niceties like the drapes over the beds...curtains have been replaced with k-mart drapes. Sheets were worn and dirty. The coffee pot was missing from the coffee maker and stayed that way for our entire stay.
We were anxious to return to the dining room for those memorable crab cakes...It had won a four star award the last time we were here....were were quite unimpressed with the dining room. The dining room isn't even set up during the dinner hour (we noticed this at breakfast as well). They keep half the room closed off by a curtain...The food is mediocre motel food.... $28.00 for an entree and the presentation was sloppy....fingerprints on the plate left from the cook!!! I am sure the bus tours are not eating here!!!
The last time we were here, we returned each evening to find our room had been tidied and the bed turned down....This time I had to call for a turn-down service and all they did was replenish the towels....where are the mints on the pillows!?!?!?
My wife sent a blouse to be cleaned and it was returned with an awful scent that had to covered up with a dowsing of perfume.
I could go on and on.....AAA better re-evaluate their 4 star rating....I wouldn't give it more than a 2 star.
Is this hotel under new ownership??? Why such a drastic downturn???? Charleston is a charming city with far better options for hotels and dining....look elsewhere!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small rooms/poor customer service/mediocre food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

Based on the positive reviews this hotel has received, I think we must have just been very unlucky in the room we were given. It was a two queen room on the fifth floor.
Pros: The location is great if you want to visit shops and stroll through Charleston. Starbucks is within walking distance. The staff is friendly and helpful. The lobby is nicely furnished. The room was clean.
Cons: Our room was small. The linens were worn out looking and mine had stains on them. The bed had a topper but was still uncomfortable. The pillow was lumpy. The decor was quite a disappointment given the other reviews. There were no pretty curtains over the beds (as I saw on the hotel website) just a bright red blank wall. The rest of the room was painted lemon yellow - pretty garish. The drapes were white sheers with brown vines on them and looked like they came from Walmart. The chair was also bright red and had an odd yellow plastic seat cushion - something happened to the the real seat cushion? There was a small, cheap looking black curly, wire metal mirror over the desk and the only other wall decoration was a print in a corner. The bathroom was clean and pretty, but the light was so dim I couldn't see to put on makeup. It was $12 a day to park the car (ourselves) and internet was $10 a day. All the other Marriotts we've stayed in have been nice though. We're "Elite" members.

• Liked — The room was clean
  • Disliked — Beds uncomfortable, furnishings/decor not up to Marriott standards.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

We were pleased with this 4 star hotel.
Pros:
Located in the historic district. Walking distance to several great restaurants and shopping.

Wonderful, clean rooms with 4star sheets etc.

Great conceirge

Cons:
As in many historic districts, rooms were somewhat small, but the space was great for us.

FYI: cab from airport was $30

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Renaissance Charleston Historic District? Share your experiences!