“Great Rooms, close to everything, great value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview

You added Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview to your Saves list
Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   90 Ripley Point Drive, Charleston, SC 29407 (James Island)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
TSWhite
“Great Rooms, close to everything, great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

You can get to anyplace in Charleston within 10 minutes of the hotel, very easy. We stayed 4 days and the room was great, we had a 2 bedroom suite w/balcony. The breakfast and managers specials were very handy. It was also in a nice area by the river and marina. I would recommend this place to anyone and I worked in the hotel industry for years.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

This Residence Inn has a lot of PROBLEMS. When we checked in to our room, the heat wouldn't work. The maintenance man said give it 15 minutes. Went to dinner, came back after 2 hours still very cold. Given another room. SAME PROBLEM! This time the desk clerk said the heat pump compressors freeze up alot and you may have to very slowly advance the thermistat. We did that and finally the heat came on. But my point is, how was I supposed to know that???
Same thing with the hot water. There was none!!! Showers and shaving was in lukewarm water. After the 2nd day, the desk clerk said let the water run for 5-10 minutes. We did that and walaa, we got hot water. But my point AGAIN is, how was I supposed to know that????
You need a "checklist" to tell you how to operate the heat and hot water!!! Even at a Motel 6 you can get heat and hot water.
The staff was very pleasant, and the food was very good, but my wife went through "heck" on our supposed romatic getaway!!!

• Liked — friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — no heat!!! no hot water!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wiondsor,Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

My wife and two kids stayed here in August 2008 and we found the hotel absolutely great. The rooms were extremely clean and spacious (we had a 2 bedroom suite). The entire staff were very friendly and the front desk staff were extremely helpful. The Manager went out of her way to assist us and answer all questions. Although it is not on the water it is near the water (1 minute walking) and the property was very well landscaped and tropical. The breakfeast was exceptional and as another review stated the suppertime "snack" was more like a supper meal. We are staying there again this year during the 2009 March break and are looking forward to this vacation. We found this hotel to be very clean and would rate it among the best with any other hotel we have stayed at. I also travel for business and stay close to 100 nights a year at Marriott Hotels which I believes assists me in being able to rate a hotel. The Residence Inn Riverview is a hotel that I defintely would say is "excellent" and I would definitely recommend to anyone, and have. If you have a family and require a cooking area and a clean safe hotel, this hotel DOES fits the bill.

• Liked — Clean friendly and great atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Nothing, everything was great!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Marietta, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Two friends and I just returned from our four night stay. I had previously stayed in 2 BR Residence Inn suites (in Seattle, Chicago and Washington, DC) and was always pleased. This facility did not live up to expectations.

Our room, although clean and decorated nicely, was very small. When the sofa sleeper was pulled out, there was no room to walk around it - plus it was very uncomfortable. The bedrooms were quite small and we could not open the closet door in one. We immediately reported this and had to repeat our request twice more before finally getting it fixed on day 3. The cleaning staff did not leave coffee - had to go and get it ourselves,

The breakfast room was very small and always crowded. No orange juice for three of four mornings there. Coffee pots were not filled nor were food bowls - had to find an indifferent attendant to do so. And it was so hot in there - not a relaxing experience.

The front desk staff was courteous but not knowledgeable. We asked for some advice re Charleston restaurants and were handed a book of menus. Did not know where the movie theaters were and had no knowledge of tourist information.

This just did not live up to my expectations. I would not recommend it.

• Liked — location was nice
  • Disliked — very small rooms, breakfast room too small and hot, unknowledgeable staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We have stayed at the Residence Inn By Marriott several times and this hotel didn't live up to our expectations. My wife prefers the Marriott hotels because they have very comfortable beds so no complaints here.

But first of all the name of the hotel "Riverview" gives a false expectation because there's no view from the hotel at all, we even booked at a higher rate a 2-bedroom "suite" with balcony but the view we got was to the parking lot....

Secondly the 2-bedroom suite is a lot smaller than the ones you get at their other Residence Inn's and it was difficult to stay comfortably in the room with the kids.

Last but not least the breakfast was a disaster. The breakfast room is way to small to accommodate so many people during the Holidays and we had to ask the guys managing the breakfast room each morning if they had any forks, knives, napkins, bagels, cream cheese etc and when we asked them they looked back with the "who cares" look. Over the years staying at the Residence Inn I have to recommend Marriott to come up with some new ideas for the breakfast menu. It's been the same for several years now and it has to be the time for something else.

I also saw both of the men working in the breakfast room smoking in front of the hotel during breakfast hours, I don't recall having seen that before.....

So my overall rating is not good and I will not go back to this hotel again, even though we loved Charleston.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — Breakfast & rooms size
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

This makes the third year that we've taken our entire 7th grade middle school class to Charleston for a 3 day 2 night fieldtrip. We've stayed at this hotel all 3 times, and they are always excellent in preparing for us. The suites are large and clean, the breakfast is good, the location is good and the people are friendly. I highly recommend them.

Stayed September 2008
Suburban MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed at the Residence Inn as part of a Conference booking and I was extremely pleased with everything about it. The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. The rooms were spacious, clean and well maintained with pleasing colors and art work. The bed was comfortable. The parking was free (a big plus) and while the hotel is not directly in the historic district, it is literally a 5 minute drive away, making it convenient. I was also impressed with the fact that the hotel offers a free hot breakfast (not your usual continental breakfast, but instead a solid meal with eggs, waffles, fresh fruit, and breakfast meats choices). In addition the happy hour snacks are solid enough to be considered a light dinner. This hotel was a real find. I would not only recommend staying here, I also intend to come back with my family.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview? Share your experiences!