“Worth the visit” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Husk Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 778 Restaurants in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Occupying adjacent spaces on Queen Street, Husk’s structures date back to the late 1800s. The main dining room, constructed in 1893, evokes the grandeur of Charleston, and speaks to the transformation of the city over time. Victorian details and turned columns were layered over the original Queen Anne-style façade through the years, and the buildings fell into disrepair until discovered by Husk ownership. The Neighborhood Dining Group President David Howard set into a motion an extensive remodeling effort of both. Although both buildings retain their antique charm and stately character, the renovations imbued each with a modern, minimalist theme. Like the reinterpreted food served within, each space has been laid bare, revealing reclaimed floors, original windows, and exposed brick throughout. The main house features an open kitchen with a wood-burning oven and dining room.
Sydney, Australia
“Worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Some may say that visiting Husk, one of Charleston's best-known restaurants, simply must make it to the eating agenda. It's a place with a simple philosophy. Only food that's produced in the South will make it to the plate. The menu may not be a celebration of Southern classics, but it does celebrate the fine produce that's grown in this part of the country.

Both of us looked up when we heard the pork ribs (14) enter the room. Yes, it was the sound coming from the plate that got our attention. And that plate was headed straight for me. The most tender, smokey and lusciously sweet pork ribs I've had for quite some time. These babies are slow-smoked over pecan shells, served with some rather audible pork rinds that continue making crackling noises once they're inside your mouth. One word. Incredible.

Our other dish - the Manchester Farms quail (15) - may not have made any sound on arrival, but it sure spoke through its earthy flavours. Nutty farro, sliced apple and fennel, kale, watercress and brown butter.

An intriguing sounding pecan pie panna cotta (7) comes parfait-style, topped with "pecan pie filling" and a thin donut-like cinnamon "pie crust". And we also have a slice of buttermilk pie (7), a bit of a Southern favourite. The pie comes with some sweet macerated peaches, teaming well with the slightly sour baked custard filling.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Charleston, South Carolina
“Everything you would expect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Sean Brock is still a rock star. Husk continues to deliver amazing food with a unique and southern flair. In many ways the accompaniments to the meats are the best part. The vegetables, grains and beans are brilliantly cooked and beautifully flavored.

Detroit, Michigan
“Lunch with the girls ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Started off with the pimento cheese crostini - rich and amazing- lots of bacon flavor and every bite was worth every calorie! Salads were fresh, well- dressed(but not soggy) - especially the arugula / beet salad with benne dressing. Shrimp and grits delicious with a smoky flavor . Service was friendly and efficient. Will return next time we are in Charleston!

Ireland
“Is this the most overrated restaurant in Charleston?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I tried everything to get a reservation here when I found myself unexpectedly in Charleston for a month. I called the restaurant and was told they were booked out for two months. I had heard such raves that I really wanted to eat here. So, everyday I tried OpenTable unsuccessfully. Then my wife decided to visit and said, "BTW, I made a reservation at Husk. Is that OK?" My sister and I were blown away and very excited. The moment arrived and we were early, The hostess suggested we start at the bar. So I tried to order three drinks. I have never, never encountered a more arrogant, snotty service person. Then on to dinner. In fairness, our server Brian was informed and reasonably efficient. But his manner was nerve wracking and pretentious. The busboy had a much better manner. I had the clams. Good but not great and over salted. My wife and sister both had a salad and they too were good. My sisters maybe even better. I had the confit duck. Good flavor but the skin was soggy, not crisp and the dish was over salted again. Wife and sister had Wreck Fish. Very good but not life altering. We will not return.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Elgin, Illinois
“Great for Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Had an intrest going here after I saw the chef on "Mind of a Chef". Could not get a reservation! My girlfriend suggested lets go for lunch and it was WONDERFUL!

• Visited April 2014