“Great Ghost Tour!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Charleston Walking Tours is proud to offer an array of narrated walks that cover the most interesting historical issues and sights in a city known for its turbulent past and unusual beauty. Our guides are the best in the business, with years of research and storytelling experience. They promise the kind of accuracy, insight and enthusiasm that create a delightful touring experience. Let them lead you to Charleston's hidden alleys and tell you what went on behind its closed doors.The daytime walks last approximately two hours. The ghost walks are shorter (and scarier).We go rain or shine. There are no hills. The pace is easy. Please join us. You'll be glad you did!
11 attraction reviews
“Great Ghost Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Mike was an amazing tour guide. Great spooky stories. You can tell he loves the city and it's rich history. My children enjoyed the tour as well, one of the highlights of our trip.

Sterling, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful walking tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were lucky enough to have Dennis Stiles as our tour guide. It turned out that my husband & I were the only ones to show up that day. Dennis took us on a great tour, explaining the history of Charleston. He seemed to enjoy his job, and that translates to an informative tour. Highly recommend!

Nevada
9 attraction reviews
“Disappointing Ghost Tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We took this tour based on all the other reviews but could have saved our money for another tour more worth while. We took the Civil War tour with Dennis which was very informative and Mike was very nice to deal with. The Ghost tour was a big let down. We were told a few stories about women dressed in either a black , red or white dress in windows of various places. Since Charleston and Savannah have so much history we thought it would be more based on lost soul's and not just a walk around the city in the dark. No visits to graveyards which would have added a little to the tour or at least some history added that could have spiced up things ?? We just thought it was very Cheesy and not worth the money we spent.

Visited April 2014
mbtourguide, Owner at Old Charleston Walking Tours, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
It bothers me to read that someone is disappointed with the tour. I would encourage the reviewer to contact me for a refund. It bothers me more to read a description of my tour that is inaccurate. I visit around 7 locations and tell 7-9 stories on any given ghost tour. Most of the stories told are stories of lost souls. In each story I use the history of Charleston to offer a possible explanation for the haunting. At one point on the tour we are standing so close to the tombstones of a graveyard that you can touch them. Finally, while it is not a question of accuracy, one of the most consistent points made about the ghost tour in many of the reviews here is that it is not cheesy. The tour described here is basically the opposite of the experience one may expect when taking my tour.
Greenville, South Carolina
“Best Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had Dennis Stiles, and he was excellent! It was definitely one of the best tours that I have ever been on. He was so informative and engaging! We were the only ones on the tour, so he showed us things that we might not have seen otherwise. He seemed to know everything about the city and was really passionate about everything that he was talking about. The experience was well worth it, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to take a tour of Charleston.

Wasaga Beach, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Night Ghost Tour was Good but Have Had Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I've done several ghost tours across the globe so we thought we would try this one as we were in the area. We had a few younger children with us and the older ones found it interesting. The stories were good but at the end of the tour it seemed like something was missing. It needed more history of the area or more experiences. For example, very little was mentioned of criminals executed or who died in prisons. Only one or two stories related to the civil war, none related to slaves (maybe there were no stories to talk about there or recorded), and none related to the earthquake.

The guide clearly loved what he did and had done extra research to gain more knowledge on the area.

I thought it was good and if you have never done one, this one is a good one to start. It spooked some of the college girls in our group and the stories were interesting. The price is average to a little higher than what I've paid elsewhere.

Tour time was almost exactly 2hrs. Please note, there are no bathrooms along the route.

Visited March 2014
mbtourguide, Owner at Old Charleston Walking Tours, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
This does not sound like a review of my ghost tour. Each story that I tell on the tour combines modern day encounters with the history I use to provide an explanation. My tour includes about 25 examples of ghost encounters. The first story I tell is about a prison and a serial killer. I have one story specifically about the earthquake. The price of the tour is actually average to lower than the cost of other ghost tours. The length of my tour is 90 minutes, not two hours. Access to restrooms is available upon request. Please consider the other review for this tour from the same date.

Mike Brown