“Perfect Charleston Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Joseph Aiken Mansion Carriage House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Joseph Aiken Mansion Carriage House
Save Saved
You added Joseph Aiken Mansion Carriage House to your Saves list
20 Charlotte St., Charleston, SC 29403   |
Ranked #18 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
“Perfect Charleston Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

This place is literally perfect. We brought our bikes and rode everywhere. Everything about this place is amazing from the suite to the garden to the mansion to Thad. He helped us with all our questions and was so nice. I will be back a few mores times. I highly recommend this place! Thanks for the great memories!

• Stayed April 2012

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We just spent three nights at the Carriage House and it was perfect for our needs. We were traveling with out 13 month old son and wanted something with a separate bedroom and a kitchen so we could eat a few meals in, clean bottles, etc. The property was great for that and the washer/dryer was an added bonus. We stayed in Suite D, which was beautiful and had great views of the gardens. Walking to Market Street, etc. was a little far, but the weather was nice so we didn't mind doing it. We didn't see Thad much, but when we needed something he was very quick to respond.

Room Tip: Suite D had great views. No patio since it is on the upper floor, but there are two "Juliet ba...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Belmont, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have stayed at the Carriage House Inn three times and each stay has been perfect. Every year we travel to Charleston with 3 other couples to celebrate a friend's birthday. We rent out the 4 suites at the Inn and have the most wonderful time. The rooms are fabulous, and the courtyard is the perfect gathering spot for coffee in the morning and cocktails in the evening. Thad and Charlie are very welcoming and accomodating, and you can't ask for a better location. There is private parking, and you are within walking distance of the market, shopping and lots of wonderful restaurants. You will not be disappointed with your stay at the Inn!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
atlanta, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We've stayed at this carriage house inn twice now and it's got to be the best value in the area! First off, the rooms are really mini-apartments with 1.5 baths and full kitchens. We like having breakfast in the room when we travel since it's not that easy to find places with gluten-free toast, pancakes, etc. when dining out.

The upstairs units are nice as they have vaulted ceilings, but the downstairs units have little courtyard patios which are great for having a glass of wine before heading out to dinner or for enjoying b'fast in good weather! Besides the property being lovely and historic, the free off-street parking is ad added plus. There is nothing more annoying than checking into a place in the city only to find out you have to park two blocks away. We like parking the car and walking as much as possible and this location offers that option. We walked to the fabulous farmer's market one Saturday and even to dinner one night. The area is super quiet at night which is not always the case when you're inside the city limits anywhere.

Our first visit was in May and our most recent last week. We were at the beach for a family reunion in the area for two nights. After being in a tiny condo for two nights (no larger than a postage stamp), our last night at the inn was SO relaxing! Thad, the property manager, is always a delight to catch up with!

The one thing I think could be improved on is the window coverings. I like it super dark at night and in the downstairs unit we were in, this was not an issue. In the upstairs unit with windows on three sides in the bedroom, it was a little too light for me. But I have unusually over-sensitive eyes. On the flip side, having all the windows provides for amazing natural light during the day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and very much enjoyed the accommodations, the location was perfect for walking the area shops and restaurants, it was quiet and had "off street parking. The courtyard was great for a cocktail or reading/relaxing. The property manager "Thad" made us feel very welcome. We stayed in "suite A" and it had everything we needed including the ambiance and history of the area combined with modern conveniences that were added with the restoration. We are looking forward to our next visit, we will stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherwood Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This restored carriage house is quite simply amazing. Located in a quiet neighbourhood not far from East Bay and Meeting Street, a ten minute walk to the market, a three minute walk to Starbucks, five to a a grocery store and close to the aquarium, the location, hospitality, quality and value of this property is unparalleled in Charleston. The location is stunning and right at the top of downtown, so walking around at night is safe.

We selected this carriage house for our honeymoon for two reasons - first, it was a restored carriage house and second the price was reasonable. Our first communication was with Charlie, who does all the bookings. We were in Charleston during the PGA championship and they DID NOT raise their prices, unlike the majority of accommodations in the area. We booked Suite C as it looked lovely online - and it was EVERYTHING we saw online and more; honestly - the pictures don't do it justice.

We arranged our arrival with Thad, who could be one of the most friendly and helpful individuals we have ever met. He was warm and welcoming and had suggestions of places to eat and made sure that we knew the layout of the area. When we arrived, we parked in the private parking area (off the street) and entered our home for the week - and a home it was! A full kitchen, living room (my husband would have taken the recliner home if he could), one and a half bath, and a full master bedroom greeted us. We also had a patio off the living area that was specific to our suite. And the shower in the master bedroom - HUGE. Awesome! The bed was extremely comfortable and the ceiling fan was an added bonus (even with AC!)

If it rains, you may think that there is leak somewhere, but that is just the rain coming down outside! The rain was particularly heavy at one point and that caused the AC to kick off. We phoned Thad, and he was there within five minutes to fix the problem. We went out for dinner and when we arrived home, all was working again.

This is a very private place to stay - no official housekeeping, no interruptions, but if you need something - just ask - and they will help you.

While they have honored the history of the carriage house, there are modern elements (like the kitchen), which enhance the quality of this as a place to stay. With a full fridge, oven, and stove, we were able to cook and have meals at home when we wanted to.

More than anything, this was truly a home away from home. We loved ever minute of our stay!

Room Tip: Suite C is awesome! With only four apartments, I'm not sure you can go wrong.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
charlotte, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family of 4 spent 3 days here while celebrating my daughters 3rd birthday. She wanted to go to the beach :) I had initially booked a hotel near Isle of Palms but came across this property just days before our trip. Since it was available I cancelled the hotel. I figured this was a great way for us also to explore Charleston & still spend a day at the beach.

I emailed my inquiry & Charlie was quick to reply answering all of my questions (including how comfortable the beds were, based on another review I had read :) Both of the 1st floor units were available but I chose C because it was a little bigger. We arrived late but I had spoken with Thad the day of our arrival so he left the keys for us.

When we walked in I was relieved that it looked just like the photos! Very charming & spacious. The off street parking was great. It was so nice to have space & not be cramped in a hotel room. I packed breakfast food so having the kitchen was very convenient.

Besides some dust in a few places & a water bottle cap on the kitchen floor the suite was pretty clean. It would have been nice to have a broom & dust pan in the unit (having small kids I feel the need to sweep a couple of times a day). The bed was very comfortable (& the sheets were so soft!). My husband complained that there was no TV in the bedroom...but I watch enough TV at home. I wanted to relax...& read for once :) Having a TV in the living room was enough for me. Our dryer was out of order. We didn't end up washing clothes, but it would have been nice to know that beforehand in case we had planned to.

In reference review regarding noise from the 2nd level...the 1st day we didn't hear much upstairs but definitely could once another family checked in the next day. My 1st thought was, "There must be a 3 year old up there" because it reminded me of my daughters walk/run....& I was right. It could be heard, but wasn't excessive (& once you have kids things like that don't bother you ;)

My husband ended up having to work but I was able to walk my girls to the library, the Visitors center, & several little shops. There's a Starbucks right down the block & Harris Teeter nearby but I opted for a local coffee shop. We also walked to the City Market another day.

We were able to meet the owner & get a tour of the main house which was a nice bonus. Thad was always available if we had any questions or concerns too.

I would for sure stay here again, with or without the kids! So happy I discovered it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Joseph Aiken Mansion Carriage House? Share your experiences!