“Relaxing / Close to everything” 5 of 5 stars

Conde Nast Award Special
Ranked #3 of 54 hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Relaxing / Close to everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My 12 year old son and I enjoyed a 4 day vacation in Charleston, one of our favorite destinations! We have in the past rented large apartments, however, with just the two of us we found Restoration on King to be perfect. The rooms were large a modernly appointed. The king bed and linens were soft, super clean and comfortable. We slept very well at this property. We were able to walk to so many areas of the city and restaurants and fantastic shopping was at your door step. The wine and cheese in the evening was lovely, we enjoyed ours on the roof top. My son loved the cookies and milk in the late evening as well. The most thoughtful touch was the breakfast basket delivered to your room every morning. We were tickled every morning not having to rush to a lobby for a stale breakfast. The food was not the highest quality , and I would never visit which ever bakery they are purchasing from due to that reason, however for a coffee and muffin it was just fine. As small as the hotel is they always had someone at the front reception and valet parking was faster than any large property could have been. The staff was super friendly and I enjoyed my conversations with them daily. I would positively stay here again and would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: All the rooms are shaped and sized differently, ask the front desk for details.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have stayed at Restoration three times now but had a two year break since the last visit. I love Restoration because the rooms are huge, have a full kitchen and living room and it sits on a great location above King Street at Wentworth.

My only suggestion is one I make regarding many hotels after they have been around for a while. The management needs to pay attention to the wear and tear showing on baseboards and on bath tile, specifically grout. I find that when the baseboards are beat up and dirty (especially the top edge having heavy dust), it makes the entire room feel dirty whether it is or not. In today's day of swiffers of every shape and size, it is far too easy to have the housekeeping crew sweep one along the top edge of the baseboard to remedy this issue. Having the baseboards repainted every few years would be a great idea as well. Even if this is only done on the areas with high traffic and heavy wear.

The bath grout is my biggest pet peeve. Again, in a day of Tilex and grout bleaching products galore, how can a hotel let the grout get black when it was clearly tan in the beginning as you can see in areas that are not dirty? I also cannot tolerate dark brown corners in the bathroom especially when they are in the vanity area, not even in the shower. How and why does housekeeping let that happen? I found a piece of plastic off a bottle in a corner behind the toilet which indicated that housekeeping had missed that area altogether.

So while I love this hotel, I would highly recommend to management that they touch up the bathrooms and baseboards and keep it in the pristine condition I found it in during my two previous visits. I know Restoration has a following and repeat customers can see the difference.

I also noted that the pastries in the morning basket (which is a lovely touch at this hotel) were different and not as fresh or tasty as they had previously been. I do not know if the hotel switched vendors or if the bakery used has gone downhill. It's such a wonderful service that the hotel needs to keep it at the top notch quality it was in the past. The cookies and milk in the evening were delicious.

By no means am I saying that you shouldn't stay at Restoration; I still say it's a great choice in Charleston if you like the Boutique Hotel style. I'm saying that it just needs a few updates so it remains the wonderful destination it has been in the past.

Room Tip: I pefer ones facing King Street so that I can people watch in the morning during my coffee. If you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was our (two couples) first trip to Charleston, SC. Thus our first stay at The Restoration on King was our introduction to the area. We cannot imagine a more perfect place to spend 5 days to get to know the area and its people.
This very special boutique hotel is staffed by a group of people who from start to finish make you feel part of the family. It starts with a greeting and great service by Sam and Darren, and never stopped in our 5 days on property. A continuous, proactive assistance from Nicole, Giovanna, and Nathan at the desk made us comfortable from the moment they checked us in, to their daily guidance around the city. You'll have a special moment when you meet Howard (General Manager) who is insistent on making sure your every move is attended to in a first class manor.
If you are traveling to Charleston, the rooms are as special as the people, and there cannot be a better place to stay in this city. It will be our "go to" destination from now on as we will recommend this to our family and friends. This place ranks with the best hotels we have visited in our global travels. Don't miss it!!
Steve Bowsher--Chicago

Room Tip: All rooms are great (we looked at several in our stay). We preferred a room on the back side of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Restoration for 9 nights over Christmas and New Year for our honeymoon. We could not have chosen a better place to stay! Upon arrival on Christmas Day we were met by Nathan who arranged for a bottle of champagne to be sent to our room. Kenny, one of the hotel porters, then showed us to our room whilst giving us lots of useful information about Charleston. We kept bumping into Kenny throughout our stay and he was always exceptionally polite and wanting to help in any way he could. Although we had requested a room on the top floor prior to our stay (having read reviews on here and being light sleepers ourselves) unfortunately we were given a room on the 2nd floor. We tried this for 1 night and even though the room was beautiful the noise from above was noticeable. We therefore requested a room change which the hotel were very accommodating with, and we got moved to another lovely room (306) on the top floor. The nightly cookies and milk served in the lobby were great, as was the nightly turn down service with treats and weather forecast which we found particularly useful. The free wi-fi internet worked great in our hotel room. The breakfast hampers were amazing and we loved the free paper each morning. One evening we made use of ROK's room service facility, they ordered the food for us from a local restaurant which was then delivered to our room by Kenny. Another nice surprise was another free bottle of champagne brought to our room on New Year's eve. Both of the rooms that we saw were beautifully furnished and decorated throughout, it's refreshing to stay somewhere that looks as good in real life as it does on the website! The hotel was also helpful booking taxi's for us when we needed them, we found the yellow cab's were great and cheap. However, for some reason a different company was booked to take us to the airport which ended up costing us $45, so I would suggest requesting a yellow cab to the airport if money is an issue. The location of the hotel is also perfect, situated right in the heart of the historic district and everywhere was within easy walking distance. Overall we can't recommend the ROK enough, we certainly can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

What a great surprise this hotel was! We were staying at the Planter's Inn,but had to moveasthehotelwas booked after the second night.. "Restoration" was fabulous. The building had been restored around the time the economic crisis hit, and includes mostly small apartments, so the rooms are very spacious. Ours was a one bedroom, with high ceilings, a beautifully furnished living room, kitchen, bedroom and a great bathroom. The furnishings are modern, but warm, and the feeling is of comfortable luxe. service is fantastic, with wine offered at the reception in the early evening, and milk and cookies (!) before bedtime. I ultra-recommend a stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Restoration on King was wonderful. It was our 15th wedding anniversary and the location was perfect for a night out. The design of the room felt like a mix between historical Charleston and A modern New York City loft. Our room was a one bedroom suite with a patio and the space was incredible. Spacious closets, 1 1/2 bath, and a full kitchen. The staff were very helpful and professional. I hope to return to Restoration on King every year on my wedding anniversary.

• Stayed January 2013
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of the shopping district of Charleston. It had a very interesting set-up with a small reception area for the 15 or so condo like units that belong to the hotel. The hotel also shares it elevator with other condos in the same building but this was not an issue. The room was immaculate and I truly appreciated having a separate kitchen and living area in which to enjoy breakfast and television time, as opposed to staying in a regular hotel room and sitting on the bed. I loved that breakfast was packaged into baskets a delivered outside our door each morning. The staff was courteous and accommodating. They were also very helpful with booking activities for the time that we spent in Charleston. For some reason although turndown service is offered free of charge it was never performed during our stay but it really did not make a difference to us. We got a great deal on the rate thanks to the conde nast deal they were offering. Had we have paid full price, it may not have been worth the stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor. Previous reviews note that there may be noise from the shops bel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Restoration on King? Share your experiences!