“Warm and friendly. Great location.” 5 of 5 stars

Conde Nast Award Special
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“Warm and friendly. Great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The staff at ROK is incredibly nice. During our three-day stay, we were greeted by name. The wine & cheese and milk & cookies are really nice touches, especially after a long day of touring. Our room/apartment was beautifully decorated, and we appreciated having a full-sized refrigerator. As noted in other reviews, there is some street noise, but the hotel thoughtfully provides white noise machines, which made a huge difference. ROK is in the heart of the shopping and restaurant scene and is an easy walk to the historic district and to the pier for the Fort Sumter ferry. Travelers who prefer the coziness of a B&B, but also like the amenities of a full-service hotel, will think ROK is perfect. We did.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This hotel is absolutely stunning. The decor is classic Charleston and makes you feel right at home. There is no better location in downtown than the corner of KIng and Wentworth. The Restoration is in the middle of great restaurants, nightlife, and lots of shopping. The room we stayed in had a great outdoor patio that was perfect for soaking in the sun while sipping on cocktails. The bedrooms were extremely spacious and comfortable. You certainly won't be missing your bed at home. There were plenty of blankets and pillows to choose from. The bathrooms were exceptional as well. This will definitely be a place I recommend all my friends and family to stay. The staff is so helpful and attentive to any needs you may have. No matter what you are looking for, family weekend, girls night in, or a couples romantic weekend, this is the place for you. The Restoration on King will not disappoint!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hillsborough, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

After a really bad case of food poisoning in NYC, I decided to stay at a hotel with a kitchen - The Restoration on King was that place. The room was super spacious and clean. Think of the place as more apt. than hotel.
The kitchen was stocked well enough with pots, pans and the like for me to even cook and take meetings - all of this while on the road.
Now for the most touching thing...
I tend to drink a cup of hot tea before bed. I guess the housekeepers noticed that and replenished the teas. I guess they also noticed that I used a pot to boil the water. I returned to my room and found a nice stainless steel teapot on the stove... I was so touched.
Also Sam and Connie were great. Connie even gave me a tour of the place.
What a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed December 2012
NY, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

All the accolades and raves about this place are true. The rooms are gorgeous. The location is perfect. The picnic basket light breakfast is a nice touch. The manager and staff are were welcoming and the afternoon wine very lovely. However, by reading these reviews and from our experience I think some rooms at ROK have serious sound issues and unfortunately we had one of those rooms, #207. It was really tough. I was up all night the first night. I did something I don't think I have ever done in a hotel ---I went down to the front desk @ 4am to ask if they could do something about the music that played all night long. I thought it was a party but later we learned it was likely the store below, a Gap I think, had the music on all night or the cleaning crew was cranking it up. I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Katy Perry as much as the next person, but not from 1am-6am. Seriously, we cancelled a tour later the following afternoon b/c I couldn't keep my eyes open...and that was a drag for a quick 3 day get away with my husband. One person there acknowledged the issue...another tried to blow it off a bit but really couldn't when I told her the list of songs I heard. The next night we had a similar sound issue--not as bad, but a 7am wake up playlist on a Sunday. My husband, who was as impressed with all the good qualities of hotel, asked me on the way home, "Do you think we could recommend that hotel?" We both weren't sure we could. I feel bad writing that but boy, I was tired after this trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration on King, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
It is with sadness and regret that your stay at The Restoration on King was less than satisfactory due to the mistake of an employee of the GAP. I would like to sincerely apologize for this disruption and assure you that I and my entire Team are 100% committed to serving our guests and insuring that their stay is nothing short of memorable. I cannot tell you how very dissapointed My staff and I were to discover that the music in the GAP had mistakenly been left on throughout the evening. I cannot tell you how seriously we have takend this and can assure you that this has been addressd with management of the GAP store.

The Restoration on King continues to maintain positive working relationships with all of our neighbors and after speaking with the manager of the GAP, she too along with the employee who mistakenly left the music on, also offer their sincerest apologies and have committed to us to insure that this does not happen again.

Through positive feedback and suggestions, the Restoration on King has continued to add to our amenities to make the ROK our guest’s “Home Away From Home” when visiting Historic Charleston. From luxurious pillow top mattresses, 300 count 100% Cotton linen, plush bath towels, new white noise machines and our soon to be release “eConcierge” mobile App, the staff and management continue to work to make the ROK a truly special place to stay when visiting our wonderful city of Charleston, SC.

I hope that when you next visit Charleston you will consider staying with us again in order that we may be able to re-win your trust and loyalty with our commitment to excellence and the enjoyment of all of our guests staying at The Restoration on King.

Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

Kindest Regards & Happy Holidays,

Howard D. Letts
The Restoration on King
New Port Richey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We just returned from a 3 day stay at this fabulous hotel. Without hesitation I would highly recommend the Restoration on King, The ROK!
If you want to experience the best of the best and be blown away with first class service and accomadations then treat yourself to a stay at The ROK.
The level of personalized service you will receive in my opinion exceeds the Ritz Carlton experience.
The amenities are memorable. You will love the coffee, the picnic basket breakfast with newspaper in the morning, the wine and cheese early evening, the warm fresh baked cookies, the turn down service, the shampoo, soaps and conditioner,...the rooms are spacious and immaculate. The kitchen is well stocked with every thing you need to whip up a meal to your liking. They even supplied a clean wrapped sponge to replace the one I used the day before...who does that? We had a stacked washer and dryer in our room with a box of laundry soap.
Our room had 3 docking stations for the iphone and we were fortunate to have an iPad loaner from the hotel...where was I? Oh yes, the linens smelled so fresh! The bed was comfortable, the roof top, another WOW moment...pictures actually do not capture the space, take my word for it and just think more! the absolute worst think about our stay was having to leave.
I have stayed at many hotels in this country and abroad and the ROK is the best hands down! They far exceeded our expectations and I will be back!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any room. There was no restaurant but you are right in the...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had an amazing wedding night at the Restoration! Sam took such great care of us - I have never had a more professional and polite experience with the hotel staff that I had here. I would recommend the restoration to all visitors of charleston! It truly is luxury at it's best (and you can't beat the location!)

• Stayed October 2012
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Hotel was fantastic! The Service was Excellant. We we living in Luxury for our entire stay. The Hotel was so clean and spacious and full of all the features which made us feel so much at home. Sam, an assistant at the Hotel, was helpful in every way, from handling our luggage, parking our vehicle to pointing out good places to eat, along with places of interest. I would certainly reccomend this Hotel. We look forward to returning to Charleston one day, and this is where we would want to stay!! Thanks to everyone at the Hotel for making our stay a very enjoyable one!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Restoration on King? Share your experiences!