“It's a home away from home....but better!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Conde Nast Award Special
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“It's a home away from home....but better!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife booked this hotel for us the weekend we got married. I truly could not have asked for anything better. She stayed the night before the wedding with her friends as we could not see each other due to "wedding rules". Within 30 minutes of her checking in she called me, litertally crying tears of joy. Sam, the employee who helped us out so much, had left strawberries, champagne for the ladies to be able to relax with. The fact that my soon to be bride was that happy, made the weekend start off great! I was blown away that he went that far into making sure that she felt like the most important person in the world. Even though she stayed two nights, I was fortunate enough to say for one. If you have never seen it, it's perfect. I love not only the character of the building and the decor, but the fact that it really felt like home. I never felt that I was in a hotel. The beds were very comfortable, and the space was very roomy in a cozy way. We actually took advantage of the beautiful rooftop and views, by taking our first wedding picture together there. I could go on and on about how great it is, but I would not give it justice. From the time she stepped foot into the building, to the time we left, it was the best experience I've ever had staying outside of my own home. I personally want to thank all of the staff for the exceptional service. I would like to single out Sam most of all as he took the initiative to make sure that my wife and I had the best weekend of our lives. Our weekend was perfect and it started and ended at that establishment. Thank you all very much for the wonderful environment and service provided. We truly hope we can have an excuse to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I don't want to waste my review by duplicating all of the positive comments about this hotel so I'll just say ditto to everything positive. This was truly our home away from home for 3 days but I sure wish it was a week! I've never felt that way about a hotel stay before except for maybe The Cloister at Sea Island. We recommended this place to other visitors we met while in Charleston and will definitely stay here again. The service could not have been better. We used their wonderful beach bikes to tour Charleston each morning and enjoyed not having to haul our bikes on this trip. This is the only place where I've actually talked to the General Manager before. No complaints - just enjoying the wine/cheese and talking about our day and how much we loved the beautiful Restoration. You can stop your search for places to stay in Charleston and look no further than the Restoration on King. Even the pedicab drivers love this place and you can always trust a local opinion.

Room Tip: Our room was 303 with a rooftop balcony and we loved it!!! Very quiet as it is on the back side of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in Charleston. We have never been so impressed with a hotel's service as we were here. All of the staff were friendly and professional. The room was clean and spacious! They serve your breakfast to you in a picnic basket each morning, which we loved. There is complimentary wine/ cheese and cookies/ milk each night. We felt very cared for and right at home. We would highly recommend the Restoration on King to anyone visiting Charleston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

You all went out of your way to take care of every extra need and we will be back! We have grown to love your hotel and have told many friends about it. We travel internationally and your service surpasses anywhere else we have stayed. A job well done deserves to be recognized – THANK YOU!
Not only is the service superb, but the accomodations are very nice. It is like a "home away from home" and the space allows for family time together for special events.

TMT

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for a week in late September 2012. We considered booking the hotel based on reviews from Trip Advisor, but was sold when it made it to the Top 25 Hotels for 2012 list published by Trip Advisor earlier this year. And we are very glad we did!

From the moment we pulled the car up to the entrance until we departed a week later, the staff was super friendly and accommodating – top notch. They provided amazing customer service and were there to help us in any way possible. Everyone was amazingly helpful and just plain hospitalbe (we would like to make special note of our bellman, who we believe his name was Steve). The hotel itself is made up of 4 distinct buildings (more than just the pink one you see in pictures). Our room was in the building next to the pink building. We were in the Gap building on the top floor – room 304. It was a one bedroom loft which overlooked King Street. The room was super clean, nicely appointed, very stylish, and offered everything we needed for our stay (from washer and dryer complete with detergent to do laundry, to plates, cups, silver wear, pots/pans to cook with). In the room (and throughout the hotel) there are canvas prints made from photos of local sights around the Charleston area. As a photographer I thought this was very cool and a nice touch. Oh and the bed was AHHHmazing. If someone from the hotel is reading this – what kind of bed is that and how can we get one!?!?!?!

The location of the hotel was also perfect. Located right on King Street – being centered here allowed us to walk anywhere in downtown Charleston without any issue. This included spots like the aquarium, Water Front, The Battery, Market Street, and not to mention an endless choice of shops, restaurants and bars. The rooftop patio was a great place to go enjoy a glass of wine and just relax and take in the views (which we did most evenings during the wine and cheese reception). We are glad we did not spend the extra money to get our own patio as 1) we were not at the hotel enough to get use out of that and 2) we had the rooftop patio to ourselves for the most part!

So on top of the service and the hotel itself (which were enough to make me return if in the area), the hotel also offered some personalized touches which really impressed us: use of an iPad, bikes, evening wine and cheese receptions, milk and cookie receptions, continental breakfast (all items from local vendors) delivered in a basket each morning, free WiFi, free access to the ECO gym down the street, etc. I cannot stress enough how impressed we were with this hotel – and we travel a good deal. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the downtown Charleston area.

Room Tip: As for a room facing King Street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at Restoration on King after reading Trip Advisor. Previously always stayed at Charleston Place. Very much enjoyed the smaller boutique experience. Staff was friendly, room was huge, with loft and kitchen. Very modern.
Breakfast was delivered in a big picnic basket - nice touch. Afternoon wine and cheese was a nice extra, but nothing elaborate.
It's not the hotel's fault, but we were awakened by the sound of jack hammers blasting away at dawn - remodeling across the street. You might ask the status of that project.
All things considered, we would return again, and recommend it.

Room Tip: Perhaps get one not directly on King Street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Clawson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Restoration on King is perfectly situated in Downtown Charleston, and like other reviewers have said, you really don't need to use a car to get around - everything is within walking distance. We did, however, use the car to visit such sites as the USS Yorktown, Angel Oak, the Charleston Tea Plantation, among others. The staff at the Restoration are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The concierge made hard to get reservations for us at Husk, Howard, the general manager, checked in with us frequently to ensure our experience was above and beyond (it was) and even bought us dinner when there was a snafu at check-in. The suite was magnificent - two bedrooms, 2 baths, huge living room and stainless steel kitchen appliances and original exposed brick walls and wood floors. One of the great surprises and treats was the picnic basket continental breakfast (included) delivered to our door first thing every morning, with freshly baked goods (excellent bagels!) from a local bakery. The hotel does not have a restaurant associated with it, but quite frankly, it was not a deterrent, nor should it be, as I generally don't use the hotel restaurant when it is available. Although I did not partake, there is a wine tasting set up every evening in the lobby for those interested and while I was there, there was also a rooftop wine tasting with live music. The rooftop terrace is beautiful and it doesn't matter that the view is mostly other buildings - the setting is like a wonderful living room with comfortable sofas and chairs. We were in Room 303 and overlooked the street corners, which made for fantastic people watching. The area is very quiet at night with most of the upscale stores closing around 6 pm and there was never a time I felt unsafe walking anywhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Restoration on King? Share your experiences!