“Best in Charleston” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tacoma, WA
“Best in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I went to college in Charleston and return frequently for school events, weddings, and to visit friends. I've stayed at various downtown hotels, and have always been impressed with the high-quality accommodations in this fine southern city. But Restoration on King easily rises above its competition.

Management advised us that this hotel was constructed to be permanent residences. Due to the economic downturn, the owners decided to convert the condo-like properties into a boutique hotel. So your rooms are more like apartments than hotel rooms. You get a full kitchen, fully stocked with a toaster, blender, microwave, dishes, etc. The fridge is even stocked with complimentary waters and sodas! We stayed in the standard loft suite. This is set up like a split level. A long hallway leads you from the door into the kitchen and living room area, with a wonderful view of the King Street shopping district. If you turn right before walking down the long hallway towards the living room and kitchen, you go up a small flight of stairs to the bathroom and bedroom. The bed and linens are supremely comfortable and the bathroom is top-notch. There is also a rooftop terrace, complimentary happy hour with wine and cheese available to guests. I didn't get a chance to enjoy these amenities, but will definitely make it a point to check them out on my next visit.

Service was always prompt, friendly, and professional. You get a complimentary continental breakfast delivered to your room every day. This breakfast includes your choice of coffee, juices, teas, milk, muffins, pastries, bagels, jams, fruits, and cereals. The valet service is $18/day... pricey, but pretty much a standard for Charleston hotels as far as my experience goes. And given the paucity of free parking available downtown, I recommend taking advantage of the valet service despite its cost.

The only downside to the hotel is the noise of King Street. On Saturday night (Sunday morning really), yelling outside was clearly audible in our room for many hours. If you're a light sleeper, do not like noise and need a hotel in Charleston, you may want to look for a place more removed from the busy nightlife of this area, or ask the Restoration on King personnel for their quieter rooms.

Otherwise, this hotel experience was perfect; definitely the best hotel I've booked in Charleston. I highly recommend it to locals looking for a downtown getaway and tourists alike. I am confident you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if this hotel has any rooms off King Street, but if you're sensitive to noise...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel is very low-key from the outside. However, the rooms are incredible. A split level hotel room? You've got to be kidding me. Totally amazing. The staff was very helpful. If you like shopping, the location can't be beat. All in all, a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: The hotel is accessible for wheelchairs, but the bathroom and bedroom is up some stairs in the room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Was a little concerned when I saw the outside of the hotel. Once inside I was amazed! Upon entering the suite there is a long wood floor hallway leading to a beautiful living area with a sofa, 2 chairs, flat screen tv, quality rugs on the floor, leather ottoman and an open kitchen area that would make my own kitchen look drab. WOW Up 3 stairs into the loft for the bedroom with a bed that is loaded with six pillows looking directly into another flat screen tv. WOW Beautiful glass and marble bathroom with a modern above the counter sink. Every day you get a basket filled with items for breakfast that you choose at the time you have chosen to be delivered in the morning! WOW. I wish I would have brought less clothes because they have a nice washer and dryer tucked away in a closet that I used twice. And they provided the detergent! WOW They have taken the time to make a huge book in the reception area with all the restaurant menus you would want to see. No guessing where to eat around this hotel! Met the Manager Howard twice, which to me is a first in any hotel I have stayed at. i never saw him without a smile. He was in the reception area to greet us when we arrived and was there at the wine and cheese social that they have from 5 to 6pm every nite. I suggested that they make an icon on their new IPADS they have in the lobby for airlines so that you may spend less time printing out your boarding passes and they were very welcome to the idea. You have to love a hotel that listens to suggestions! WOW. Pick this hotel and you will agree with everything I have said

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

To add to My BBF 1618 Berks's review...try for the 3rd floor /2 bedroom/private patio #203...
it's the best! It's the perfect suite for a extra special getaway.I agree with all that 1618Berks shared .Check out there website or Facebook..Yes Cole you remain in our hearts too...tell your mother thank you! I miss Miss Pat with our breakfast baskets at 8am sharp!

Room Tip: 3rd floor suites...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Hollis, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

My bff and i stayed at the ROK in late october and let me tell you it was one of the best experiences we have ever had. We have traveled all over the world and I must say this hotel was ranked at the top.

But, it's not just the high end accomodations.......all the best...it was the staff of young people who made our stay. Kudos to Nicolle, Darren, Virginia, Travis, Gabriella, Eric, Miss Pat , the housekeepers and the manager Howard. They all gave great service, smiles, ideas, tips and it felt like they were our kids welcoming us "home", when we came back from our adventures. Great location, ambiance, wine and cheese, milk and cookies and a grand basket of breakfast goodies(boy did we order a lot of breakfast) delivered to your door whenever you want it! Then there's the milk and cookies, roof deck......and Yo Burrito next store...excellent! Would we go back??? Heck yes!

Room Tip: higher floors have less street noise
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Ballston Lake, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We planned a last minute weekend getaway to Charleston and tried to book at our favorite hotel, The French Quarter. When we discovered it was full, we looked into its sister hotel, The Restoration on King. While we had trouble locating the hotel (it was dark and the sign is small), we had more trouble leaving the hotel. Our "room" which was really a loft style apartment was enormous, new and well appointed. Luxuriously hip, the ROK seemed to have it all: exposed brick wall, comfortable bed and pillows, large tiled shower, full state of the art kitchen, fantastic location and a friendly, accommodating staff! While I would not rave about the breakfast, I applaud them for free room service and hot coffee!

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Just back from a long weekend in Charleston with my mom. We splurged on the Restoration on King and it was excellent. The staff was welcoming and the room was huge, perfectly decorated and very comfortable. The rooftop deck is a nice spot for an afternoon glass of wine. I have two complaints though. One, the breakfast was pretty lame. The baked goods were terrible, and I would have appreciated real juice instead of the 'juice product' in a plastic bottle. They were super prompt with bringing the basket to the room though. And two, we were on the second floor and it was NOISY. I'm not usually one to complain about noise in hotels. I mean, you have a bunch of people in one building, you're going to hear stuff. But we just kept saying, what if you had bought this place as a condo and had to listen to people walking above you all the time and hear the bass from the music at the burrito shop from 8am-10pm? It was annoying. I think that if you requested a room on the top floor that would at least partically solve the problem. The location of the hotel is perfect and even with the issues I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Restoration on King? Share your experiences!