“An awesome place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Conde Nast Award Special
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“An awesome place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This place is nothing less than spectaular. The rooms are spacious, clean, and well decorated. The hotel is located in the heart of the shopping district and close to some great restaurants. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure our stay was memorable.

It was.......a five-star experience all the way!

Room Tip: If you like the option of cooking in or dinning out, then this is the place for you!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration on King, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. I am so glad you had the opportunity to stay with us during yoru recent visit to Historic Charloeton, SC. The Staff and Management take great pride in continuing to improve The Restoration on King. New amenities now being offered are our compliemtary bicycles which have been a big hit with our guests and during this hot summer, our new lemon scented ice towels offered to our guests as they reurn to the hotel after a long and hot deal exploring charleston. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to the pleasure of serving you again on your next visit to Charleston, SC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Overall this is just an okay hotel. I agree that it has spacious, upgraded rooms, a great location, and great bonuses such as the breakfasts, wine/cheese, and milk/cookies. I also agree that everyone was generally friendly and helpful when asked. It does goes above and beyond other hotels in some aspects. Given the price, I think one has the right to be more critical than you would be for the average hotel. I would not stay at the Restoration on King again for the following reasons:

-The walls were extremely thin. We could clearly hear what sounded like a large party of women screaming next door. It sounded like they were in our room.
-Shower was moldy and there were several stains on the carpet.
-We checked the option on our breakfast order for the food to be left at our door. This worked out fine the first morning. However, on the second morning, instead of just leaving it, they called us, waking us up, letting us know they were going to bring the breakfast up. Thinking they would just leave it at the door, we went back to sleep; however, they started ringing our doorbell until we opened the door, waking us up again, just to deliver the breakfast.
-Not really a complaint, but one detail that was overlooked is that the sliced bagels were too large for the toaster. It seems silly to have a toaster when you can't even use it!
-Twice, we returned to the hotel late in the afternoon (around 4 PM) and they were still cleaning the room. Not a big deal, but it was irritating to have to wait when we had be out of the room all day.
-The wireless internet was completely worthless. First they did not provide us with the login, and then once we got it the connection was too slow to load anything. They should NOT falsely advertise free internet when it simply does not work.
-The morning of our departure, there was no hot water and we were forced to take cold showers.

These are just a few of the issues we had while staying at the Restoration on King. I would not stay there again, nor recommend it to a friend. I think that the first impression of the large rooms with upgrades sways a lot of people, and they fail to notice some of the flaws of the hotel and its staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Restoration on King. I am saddened to read some of your comments and wish this had been brought to our attention so that we could have further addressed it to your satisfaction. The Staff and Management of the Restoration on King take Great Pride in serving our guests and the quality of our accomodations and all of our amenities.

With only 15 Suites and 18 Associates, most of our guests get to know all of us. Each and everyday, from our dedicated Housekeeping, Maintenance, Concierge, Bell/Valet and Food & Bevearge Staff, the staff and management of The Restoration on King work to give all of our guests a very unique and personalize stay with us while visiting Historic Charleston. I want to assure you that all of your comments have been reviewed with our different departments as we continue to make The Restoration on King one of Charleston's most unique Luxury Boutique Hotels. I would like to apologize for any stains which may have been found on the carpet in your suite. We have all of our carpets cleaned on a regular basis and actually had them scheduled to be cleaned on Monday the day after your checked out. I am also sorry if any of our guests staying in tthe Suite next to you were uxcessively loud. I can assure you, if we had been contacted, we would have immediatly contacted the guest next to you to correct the situation. The addition of the line on our breakfast menus to leave the picnic basket outside of the door instead of calling in advance and delivering/setting up the breakfast service in our guest's suite was a suggestion which came from our guests. I am sorry this did not happen on two of your mornings and this has been addressed. The staff at The Resoration on King works dilengently to serve all of our guests and to do nothing less than exceed their every expectations. I would also like to apologize for the disrutpion in the hotel's internet service. We have actually upgraded our bandwith with Comcast Business Class services twice in the last year and continue to work with our wireless service provider to insure the quality of our Complimentary High Speed Internet Service. We even offer two IPads which can be signed out complimentary by our guests. We did suffer some technical difficulties over the weekend when you stayed and I can only apologize and assure you that this was a top priority for us. We did not have any complaints about any loss of hot water, so I am not sure what may have caused this.

Again, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies and wish that your concerns had been brought to my attention so that we could have addressed these items as they arouse in order to insure your 100% satisfaction. I hope you will give us another chance when you next return to Charleston so that we can regain your trust and confidence in The Restoration on King.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

When we first arrived and saw the exterior of the hotel on Wentworth St (a narrow, almost alley-like street just off King St) I was a little apprehensive. However, as soon as I walked in the door my impressions changed completely. The lobby offers a great preview of what the rooms would be like with an urban-chic-meets-rustic-history sort of look that blends to fascinate the eye. The staff was equally friendly and warm.

Heading to the room, you follow fairly narrow halls with tall ceilings and a Charleston warmth. The elevator is a little on the small side, but quite adequate. Our suite was a 2 bedroom on the third floor at the corner of the building. This hotel was originally to be condos, but was converted to hotel when the condos didn't sell. Our room was to be a $1.6M condo, and you could tell! We all said the same thing when we walked into the hotel..."WOW!" Our inclination was to just stay in the room and enjoy it.

I won't spoil it for you, but if you want a wonderful place to stay in Charleston, located in a prime area, then don't pass this beauty up. You

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. Yes, we are "tucked" away on Weontworth Street in the heart of Historic Charleston. And soon, after recieving all of Chrleston's Historic Review Boards approvals, we will be ading a awning to the front of the Hotel Lobby to help all of our guests find us as they turn off of King Street down Wentworth Street. I am so glad you enjoyed our wonderful interior designs and can only thank our very talented Interior Designer and all of her passion and vision as we converted our 15 Luxury Condominiums into what is today The Restoration on King ("The RoK"). We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to the pleasure of serving you again on your next visit to Charleston, SC.
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We loved the Restoration! We stayed for 4 nights for a girls weekend, 4 of us in a 2 bedroom suite. The suite was just like the photos on the website...beautiful and huge. We got suite 205 which is the one just over the Lucky store. We loved having the livingroom windows on King street as it was a lot of fun to people watch! As some other commenters have noted, one of the only cons is the noise...being right over the Lucky store, you can hear the thump of the music all day. This didn't really bother us because we normally were out and about before the store opened and didn't come back until after it had closed other than for about 1 hour to rest and change before dinner...but if you plan to be in your room a lot or if they ever do plan to sell them as condos it would be a pretty major issue. Noise in general was something we noticed, you can hear people walking on the wood floors above you and in the master bedroom which is right by the door to the hallway you can hear people in the hallway coming and going which woke us up several times (we had a noisy bachlorette party staying down the hall). The fact that everything else was so nice and the service was so good really overcame the noise issue for me but if you are super sensitive it could be a problem. The service was wonderful from the moment we got there. Mark and Victoria were helpful, friendly and increbily nice. We loved the continental breakfast in the picnic basket and we stopped for wine and cheese practically every night before dinner. The cookies and milk were in the lobby when we got back but we ate at such great restaurants (Fig was our abosolute favorite) so we were always too stuffed to partake. The Restoration is a wonderful place to stay and we would certainly go back!

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise ask not to be located above the Lucky Store.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. I am so glad you enjoyed one of our 4 Luxury Two Bedroom Suites and one of only 2 which offer such extensive views of both King Street and Wentworth Street. With the help of our very talented Interior deisgner the hotel has begun to install new runners down some of our Gust Suite hardwood floor hallways with the first phase already completed and the 2nd phase expected to be completed in September. The Restoration on King offers 6 different hrdwood floors with about 60% of them being original and restored with the oldest of them being one of our Two Bedroom Suites with old notty pine floors. I am sorry is any of the noise from the Lucky Brand Jeans store interrupted any part of your stay. We continue to work with the management team of the Luckly Brand Jeans store and they continue to monitor the noise level of the music in their store as we all strive to give our guests a special experience. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to the pleasure of serving you again on your next visit to Charleston, SC.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This place was amazing! I just returned from a girls weekend and can't wait to go back. Not only are the rooms beautiful, the service is the best I've had.
We pulled up to be greeted by Mark, who unloaded our entire SUV full of stuff to our room in the 100 degree weather. We walk into a big and beautiful apartment style hotel room with a huge plush king bed, very modern bathroom and immaculate kitchen with top of the line appliances. Everything was so clean and nice...it felt like we were right at home. They delivered candies to our room and offered turn down service. They ordered pizza for us and delivered it to our room once we returned from the bars. Breakfast came in a nice little picnic basket with all the pastries you could ask for. On Saturday we went to the beach and had to put all the sandy beach chairs in my car...Mark washed them all off for me and put them back in my car!
I come to Charleston once a year or so and this place by far is the best I have found. It's perfect for couples, girls weekends or even families. Great location and great views of King St. I will definitely be staying here again. Thank you to the wonderful staff for making our stay so pleasant!

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I am convinced...this place is heaven!!!! Just returned from a bachelorette weekend...we knew we were in for a treat from the moment we pulled up! Mark was out there to greet us before we had even opened the car doors. Between 6 of us we had a ridiculous amount of luggage...Mark was nice and cheerful and genuinely seemed happy to be helping us! Went up to the rooms...AMAZING...gorgeous loft style condos with views of King Street! Spacious kitchen and living room area, gorgeous bathroom, huge walk in closet, super comfy king bed and even a washer and dryer!! I was pleasantly surprised to discover that included in our stay was complimentary breakfast every morning...delivered in a basket by the sweetest woman ever...Selene we love you! She even offered to set up the "picnic" for us! One morning we were uhh...struggling...she tried to deliver our breakfast and we slept through it...she called a couple of hours later and offered to bring it up again! Night Eric was kind enough to order us pizza in the wee hours...and deliver it to the room! Day Eric was extremely helpful upon checkout and was super patient with our large group of tired travelers...he is so funny too! He genuinely seemed happy that we had chosen their hotel for our stay and that everyone had taken such great care of us. After years of bachelorette parties I've come to expect the eye rolling, the smirks, and the attitutes that normally come with the hotel stay. I have probably never been treated as amazing and welcomed in any hotel (bachelorette or otherwise) as I was this past weekend at Restoration!!! I have absolutely not one complaint and I will definitely stay here every time I go to Charleston! Any other option would be cheating yourself.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The Restoration on King is by far the #1 hotel to stay at in Charleston. Before I left, I was already planning my next stay in the hotel. (Maybe because I love to shop and the hotel is conveniently located on King Street near all the retail stores.)
It was originally meant to be condos, but when the units didn't sell, they converted the building to a hotel. The rooms are spacious (full kitchen with top of the line appliances, comfortable living room with large amount of seating, and bedroom with king size bed). The bathroom was fabulous - large glass enclosed, tile shower. The bedroom had a huge, king size bed that felt like you were sleeping on a cloud. And there were so many little extras that made it feel like home away from home - in room washer/dryer, iPod docking station in the bedroom and living room, full length mirror, flat screen TVs, walk in closet, and his and hers bathrobes.
The service at the hotel was impeccable. Valet parking, complimentary breakfast brought to your room each morning in a picnic basket, wine and cheese hour, and cookies and milk served until 9pm. They even ordered late night pizza for us and delivered it to our room at 3am.
HUGE thank you to Mark, Selena, Howard, and Eric for making this our best stay ever in Charleston. You guys are awesome and I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Restoration on King? Share your experiences!