“Very modern and clean” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Sao Paulo, SP
“Very modern and clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a very modern and clean hotel that perfectly accommodated our family of five. Very close to all the Charleston attractions. The hotel is near also to good restaurants. Very attentive staff. The breakfast was good and fresh.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and enjoyed every bit of it with 2 exceptions. The rooms were clean. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was attentive.
The only problem we encountered more than once was that the room keys kept deactivating. We kept them away from cell phones but they kept deactivating. We rented 2 separated rooms and both keys reacted the same way. Other than that we would stay here again. If i could make a suggestion about the morning breakfast i would say have more hot foods. The biscuits and gravy were outstanding. Need to add sausage or ham or scramble eggs. Great value!

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Loved the decor and large room. We stayed in a jacuzzi room. Worth the money. Great tub and large bathroom. Comfortable bed and pillows. Had a few minor problems like a light switch not covered, a torn carpet, and a dirty blanket. There was clean spare one in the room. Staff was super friendly and helpful. From desk (Christian) may have misspelled her name to a morning breakfast lady whose name I wish I could remember. Would stay here again. Little further to Charleston than I would like.

• Stayed May 2013
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here 1 night for a quick trip to Charleston with my wife, 5 year old, and friends of ours. The hotel from the outside and on in the inside is very nice and looks new. The check-in process was quick and friendly. Our room was a suite with 2 queen beds and pull-out sofa. The room was clean and pretty spacious with a large TV and wireless internet. When we got there the shower was missing the curtain, but it was replaced as soon as reported to the front desk. The location at the junction of Hwy 17 and I-526 is convenient to James Island, Folly Beach, and downtown Charleston without the steep prices of a downtown hotel. Parking is tight when the hotel is full but luckily we found a space. You must turn right when leaving the hotel parking lot but there is a stop light in front of the hotel where you can make a U-turn to go toward downtown. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Lawrence, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here 4 nights. I almost always stay in Confort Suites or Hampton Inns. This one was in nice shape. They messed up and did not get our last night that I called and added a few days before but although they were sold out she moved some stuff around and we got to say in the same room.

The only down side to the whole place was the cleanliness. The maids don't do a great job cleaning thing like under the seat cushions or vacuuming. The first night at least 5 rooms did not get cleaned / picked up according to the desk.

Breakfast was the same every day. scrambled eggs. They only have one kind of yogurt and a couple kinds of cereal.

Lastly don't let the only turning right out of the parking deter you. All you have to do is drive around the hotel to get left at the light. It is not any farther than if you had to drive out a different entrance of the parking lot. Look at google street view to see what I mean.

Room Tip: Top floor had noise from the roof fan motors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations with room cleanliness and I am reviewing this with our staff. I am so glad we were able to accommodate your final night and hope that you will give us another try when back in the Charleston area. Again, thank you for your review.
arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Most of the Tripadvisor reviewers consider this hotel a great place to stay but I was very disappointed with the place. Why? It was dirty. And I mean don't take off your shoes dirty.
Here's what happened. We arrived very late. Upon entering the room I noticed that there was debris on the floor (crumbs?) and watermarks from cups on the desk. No big deal I thought...nothing is perfect. Then I entered the bathroom. It was dirty. The kind of dirty you can’t ignore. There was some brown residue on the toilet, dirt spots on the floor, and long blonde hair on the faucet of the sink.

I called the front desk but unfortunately, they did not have any more rooms available. So, I cleaned as best I could, then took off my glasses so I couldn't see the anymore dirt. I cleaned the bathroom floor with a washcloth and took a picture of it so you can see how dirty it was (see picture).

The next morning I talked with the manager and she handled the situation beautifully; she was very sympathetic, gave me a discount, had the room cleaned, and planned on discussing my findings with the housekeeping staff.

Here are the pros and cons of this hotel:
Pros: comfortable beds, excellent customer service, decent breakfast, reasonable price and affordable option for the area (approximately 6 miles to downtown Charleston and 20 min from Folly Beach).
Cons: dirty (even after the housekeepers cleaned the room still had smears on the walls, fingerprints and body smudges on the windows. The elevator wasn’t clean either); limited parking spaces.

Since I consider cleanliness a top priority, I'm sorry to say that I would not stay at this hotel again nor would not recommended it until they give it a good cleaning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for pointing out the issues about the room that you were in. This is the first review we have ever got that had a room as such as you will see by the many reviews we get. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I can assure you this is an extremely rare situation for this hotel. I have discussed this with our housekeeping department so this can be corrected. Thank you again for your review.
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My family stayed here 2 nights for a last minute, quick summer getaway. Our room was nice and clean and big for the 3 of us, and consisted of a king bed and pull out couch (which was actually comfortable according to our teenage son). Got a good price for a weeknight. We did not stay the weekend because the price more than doubled per night for the weekend. The hotel is close to restaurants and about 15 min from the historic area. The hotel's Breakfast was not great, eggs was the only hot item other than a waffle you make yourself, the rest was cereal and poor choice of pastries. We have been to other Comfort Suites that have a full hot breakfast. You cannot turn left to go to the historic area, you have to turn right to the traffic light and make a U-turn but there is a turning arrow so it is not awful. Staff was helpful with directions and knowledgeable about finding places.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites West of the Ashley? Share your experiences!