“Al Delivers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours

Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours
151 Meeting Street, at the BB&T Building, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)
843-343-4851
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Charleston's Historic Sites with Al Ray, Charleston native and licensed guide for 35 years. Enjoy the Old Walled City Walking Tour at 10AM or the Home and Garden Walking Tour at 1:30 PM Wed-Sun. The Slavery and Freedom Tour and the Charleston Ghost Tour are offered by appointment. Call for rates to tour Charleston privately with Al on foot or with a driver any day of the week at a time convenient for your schedule. Walking Tours depart in front of 151 Meeting Street at the BB&T Bank Building. We meet on the sidewalk. Open Wednesday-Sunday, Reservations Please!
Rock Springs, Wyoming
“Al Delivers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I, with another couple we didn't know, accompanied Al for a private tour around the remnants of the Walled City of Charleston. The pace was comfortable, history nonstop, beautiful churches at every turn, antebellum and Civil War lore in every brick and all of it understandably woven together with Al's command of the whole scene. He topped it off with an explanation of how the Atlantic Ocean was formed by the confluence of the Ashley and Cooper rivers in Charleston Harbor. Made sense to me. His comments were laced with humor and as much history as we could absorb. We were fortunate to have found him and his tour.

Visited August 2013

Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“OId Walled City Walking Tour With Al = A+”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I generally use Trip Advisor and on this weekend trip to Charleston, it was no exception. However, the Trouche trip was booked up and when I asked him which of the other tour companies should we call he highly recommended the Old Walled City Walking Tour with Al. So, we booked online and showed up on a Sunday morning at the meeting place to find out we were the only ones there! (it was very hot!) Al was very gracious and asked what we were most interested in as we toured. I almost felt sorry for the other groups we saw around town as we followed Al and learned so much of the history of Charleston- the interesting founding of the city, the churches, economy, culture, etc. all the way to today. He was warm, entertaining, and considerate. Al knows the city inside and out! You cannot go wrong with this tour!

Visited September 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I took our four children ages, 20, 19 (college students), 16, and 13 on a family vacation to Charleston. The Charleston Walled Walking City Tour was one of the highlights of our visit.
Al shared rich Charleston history and cleared up some myths my husband and I believed about the sale of slaves in Charleston. One of my favorite stories Al shared was about hurricane Hugo. Al said that during the hurricane he was outside on the back porch looking up at the stars enjoying the evening with no knowledge of the devastation going on in Charleston. He later found out that he was in the eye of the storm! Great tour and worth your time and money.

Visited July 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Surrey
18 attraction reviews
“We found us a wonderful guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We loved our walking tour with Alan. He was incredibly knowledgeable about Charleston and its history, had a great sense of humour, paced the tour well to suit our walking speed and enthusiasm, and was happy to adjust plans to follow up things that interested us. Strongly recommended.

Visited April 2013
AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Caroline,
Summertime, when the living is easy, and the town is slow, is when you might get a default private tour with Al, and I was so pleased to show you the churches and graveyards of Charleston . The beautiful slate stones with their crisp carvings are so rich with symbolism. It is hard to believe that they are 250 years old. Thank You!
St. Michaels, Maryland
“Best walking tour in Charleston, with Al Ray”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Al Ray is the best tour guide we could have asked for. With a wealth of knowledge under his belt Al took us on a tour Charleston that was both informative and fun. To start the tour he asked if anyone wanted to learn anything specific and then took it from there. Being a descendent of one of Charleston's most famous pirates, Stede Bonnet, I was thrilled to be able to learn more the locations he was tried, held and yes, even hung. If you want a tour with a guide that can show you things others can't, tell you stories related to just about every historic house, and personalize your experience Al Ray is the man to call.

Visited July 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Margaret, You are the very reason I always try to ferret out topics of interest from my guests. Everybody loves pirates, and Steed Bonnet's story is not only well documented, but a FUN story that we all can love. Thank You for giving me the opportunity to share Charleston's great pirate history with the group. AAARGH!!