“Best Walking Tour I Have Been On” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tommy Dew's Walking History Tour

Tommy Dew's Walking History Tour
188 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)
843-853-8687
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 195 Activities in Charleston
Houston, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Best Walking Tour I Have Been On”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

At my sister's (who has taken the tour three times) recommendation my wife and I took Tommy Dew's Walking History tour on a Friday in April 2013. First he is very service oriented - I emailed Tommy for reservations and he called me to let me know he had gotten my email. On the morning of the tour he called me to make sure I knew it was at 11 a.m. (I had originally requested the 2 p.m. tour which is seasonally available).

The tour starts at the Daughters of the Confederacy museum which is at Market and Meeting streets and heads towards the Battery. It typically takes about 1.5 to 1.75 hours. It was the most enjoyable guided tour I think I have ever taken. Tommy is extremely well versed in local history but provides additional insight in to the people and events that shaped Charleston history. On our tour he also went into a lot of depth on the economic and geopolitical forces that lead to the founding of Charleston, the Civil War and the economic devastation the ultimately resulted in the preservation of Charleston.

In summary, this tour is well worth the time and money and definitely on my list of must do items in Charleston.

Midland, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“History with an edge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Tommy makes history come alive with his discussion of Charleston the way it was in the 1800's. Great job!

nyc
“Tommy is the way to go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are just back from Charleston and the amazing walking tour that Tommy Dew gave us. The group was small, about 8 of us. We got individualized, patient and attentive answers to all questions, even repeats! Tommy's knowledge of the history of Charleston is formidable and he kept us interested with all sorts of lively anecdotes. Tommy makes you feel the history is happening right before you. It was so worth it! Highly recommended.

Apex, North Carolina
“Great Charleston Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great tour, worth the money. We had taken 2 prior trips to Charleston jncluding a ghost tour and a carriage tour and Tommy gave us a better feel for Charleston than either of those.

16 attraction reviews
“Worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I was a little hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but the tour turned out to be very good. It lasted 2 hours. The pace was brisk but doable. He was not just spitting out facts as from a script, but really knew his stuff. Unlike other reviews, he did not waste our time with his personal business. I did not feel the animosity toward northerners until the very end, which was slimy and off-putting. Up to that point, he was very professional. We paid $18 vs $25 by buying our tickets at the visitors center. Enjoyed the tour (until the uncomfortable end) and left with a better understanding of the city. Would recommend.