“Affordable outing” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Historic Sites
Activities: Running
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A historic village recreating the life and times of America's early settlers.
“Affordable outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

Though my wife and I have been to Charleston several times, this was our first time visiting Charles Towne Landing. As a state park, it's very affordable. $5 admission for each of us and we rented the audio sets (also $5 each) which made the trip out of downtown well worth the drive.

You can listen to a pre-recorded narrative of all the sights and attractions along the History walk. Very cool. We also visited the Animal Forest.

It was a shady, leisurely walk on an otherwise hot South Carolina day.

Columbia, South Carolina
59 attraction reviews
“A fairly nice place, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

Charles Towne Landing is interesting but not the most exciting thing to see in Charleston. The small zoo is ok and the exhibits showing life in the early settlement are nice, but not really anything to write home about.

One suggestion to purchase an Annual State Parks Pass which is very much worth the money and then you can make Charles Towne Landing a stop at no additional cost.

Los Angeles
3 attraction reviews
“Not Worth the Trip... Yet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

When I visited Plymouth, MA, two years ago, I was entranced by Plimoth Plantation, which sought to recreate the original Pilgrim's colony.

I thought, perhaps erroneously, that Charles Towne Landing would provide the same flavor. I was sorely disappointed.

The highlight of our visit in April was the exhibit in the site's new Visitor Center. The exhibit, which focused on the origins and reasons for the establishment of the colony in the 17th Century, was one of the best organized and informative collections I have seen.

Unfortunately, the rest of the park was not as impressive. We toured the Animal Forest but only saw a black bear, some deer and a trio of bison. The elk, otters and bobcat were all absent from their enclosures and the puma was hidden in a tree.

The recreation of the Charles Towne settlement was bland. The newest building was the indentured servants quarters. It was pretty interesting to walk through and gave a preview of what more is planned for the park. Outside of that, a few cannon, a tiny garden and a stockade wall were all that composed of the settlement. A trading ketch -- The Adventure -- was being built but looked far from complete.

The park clearly has a lot of potential once more structures and the Adventure are built but for now, I think there are more worthwhile sites to visit in the Charleston area.

Charleston, SC
“New Attrictive Buildings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2006

They have renovated the park and built a new entrance building that overlooks the park which looks good. The only problem is the fact that they do not rent or allow any bicycles or dog walking in the park. If you live in this area like I do,you have seen all that the park has to offer so there is little to offer the people that live here.
I don't see why they cannot create paths that local people, who are the taxpayers that support this park, can use. I know that this is an historic site but give us a break and let us enjoy the park as well as tourists.

A TripAdvisor Member
“a truly magical day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2005

Today, my girlfriend and I visited Charles Towne Landing because we both had a Monday afternoon off, some time to kill, and heard they had a decent zoo. We'd been meaning to go for awhile, but didn't think too much about it, probably because we hadn't heard much about it from other people. Why? Well, maybe it is because the budget is small, especially the advertising budget. But in terms of a park, I spent the best 8 bucks (for the two of us) I think I ever have in my life.

The park is located right in the midst of West Ashley. We drove right off Highway 61, and after we parked the car, it was like we went back in time 330 years. Part of that must have been related to the fact that we were the ONLY people in the whole park and the weather was sunny, 75 degrees, no humidity. But the animal forest was refreshingly natural, the vegetation throughout was lush amidst the forest and marsh, and the tourist information was simple and informative. The park was very peaceful, and it felt like we disappeared from city bustle. It may not be like this all the time, with a lot of visitors and schoolgroups. But for us, all of the animals were there for us alone to see, including the sociable and up close otters and bears... heck, even the cougars and bobcats were more active than other zoo cats I'd seen. Also... bison! alligators! foxes! At times along the walking path there are views of the Charleston peninsula, and it felt so different to see a modern world, our trip was so peaceful.

Maybe the budget's skimpy, and the facilities are certainly not overwhelming or modernized. But for a taste of what it would be like surviving in the thick lowcountry marsh in 1670, we felt like we got it in a gorgeous and well-preserved place. Our experience was simply bliss.