“Good first stop...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 96 Attractions in Charleston
Type: Other
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers maps and a gift shop.
Boston, Massachusetts
31 attraction reviews
“Good first stop...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

If you haven't already made detailed plans, then this is a reasonable first stop in Charleston to grab a map and get some ideas for things to do/see. The visitor center guide was very helpful, however, get in and out fast or you'll pay for parking. Charleston is extremely walkable, fairly compact and flat...so you could just park here and venture out on foot.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“I live in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My family dates back to 1800 in the Holy City & I know it well but when company arrives that have never been to our beautiful city, you guessed it, first stop is the "REAL" visitors center. This way they can decide where they want to go. Of c ourseI do my own "let me show you this" as we ride / walk around town.

Strongsville, Ohio
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was my second city tour of Charleston booked through the Visitor Center. This time we used GrayLine Tours. I can't speak to all GrayLine Tours, but this one was inferior. Our driver, Bill S. loved architecture and history, Perfect, you'd think, so did we. Bill mumbled and spoke in a monitone, didn't answer some of the passengers questions, and took us to where he wanted to go. When I asked if we'd see Rainbow Row, I was told "no, 'cause its too commercial". When we got to the Battery, we weren't allowed to get off the bus and view the waterfront like the 2 other tours were doing (and like I did on my first Charleston visit). The people I was with were equally put-off by this tour experience. In fact, they said this was the worst tour they'd be on since we started traveling together 10 years ago.

Houston, Texas
15 attraction reviews
“Good starting point”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Start here for most tours around Charleston. The Visitors Center is new and big. Clean restroom, a gift shop, lots of brochures, and info on all the tours available. You can get your tickets here if not already purchased.

Visited September 2012
Ravenswood,WV
41 attraction reviews
“Only one drawback”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were looking for a tour of Charleston and figured we would go where you should, the Visitor center. One needs to do it fast, because it cost to park here to check it out, the first half hour is free, but this place is huge and everyone stops here. So we decided to park here and venture out on our own. Glad we did, what a beautiful town, the history, atmosphere and variety of places and things to see within walking distance of the Visitor Center. We had a great time and experienced Charleston as it should be, on foot. Breath taking views and places. Can't wait to visit again.

Visited September 2012