“Primitive Camping Made Easy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of James Island County Park Campground & Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
James Island County Park Campground & Cottages
You added James Island County Park Campground & Cottages to your Saves list
871 Riverland Drive, Charleston, SC 29412 (James Island)   |
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Primitive Camping Made Easy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I tent camped in the primitive area for two nights earlier this month and found no problems with the overall park or the site. Everything was well maintained. The walk to the parking lot, showers, and office building from the primitive camping field was short. A drive into Downtown Charleston is only about 15 minutes, which is what I was aiming for in my trip. In hindsight, the only thing I wish was that there had been more privacy from other campers in the primitive campground, such as more trees planted throughout the open field. Other than this, a perfect couple of nights!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Come in on George L. Griffith Blvd off of Folly road by Wallmart. The trees on the other roads are starting to overgrow the road and they may cause damage to your roof. Campground is friendly and excellent. Make sure to tell them the size of your rig. Enjoy the park and Charleston...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was hosting the annual reunion for my college group, five including me, coming from all over the country. I have a small house in downtown Charleston which would not accommodate all of us and I needed to find a place for us to stay. I have a Gold Pass to the JICP, walk there every day and had seen the cottages and always wanted to stay there. I booked three nights for our group. These ladies are very demanding world travelers and they were thrilled with the cottage. All of them live in or near large cities, so the peaceful atmosphere and view from the screen porch was greatly appreciated. The cottage was so well furnished that I didn't need to bring anything from my house, and we loved having a leisurely breakfast on the porch and watching the birds. I would like to book a stay for my husband and me; next time we want a change of pace from life downtown, we won't have to go far.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage with a full water view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

What a great campground with SOOO much to do. The teens LOVED the rock climbing wall and disc frisbee. Loved all the trails - great for running and biking. Very, Very clean bathrooms and campsite. Loved the proximity to everything. We were right next to the bathrooms and a club house which had ping pong, TV's lots of tables and chairs - which we took advantage of because of weather. We just loved everything about the campsite. Unfortunately, a massive storm came in and when we got back to our tent at 9pm, we were flooded out and had to break down camp quickly and leave sooner than hoped, but we had so much fun that didn't even dampen our spirits and we can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: We had a tent, so we loved being right next to the bathrooms/showers. If we had a camper w/ a bathr...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Let me first say that Charleston has become my(and my families) favorite areas to visit. We love the downtown historic area, beaches(folley)and the harbor. I grew up camping and camp often with my wife and 4 children. This was our first time camping at James Island campground and I guarantee we will be coming again. There is so much to do in this park: rock climbing, kayaking, water park, great trails etc etc etc. I recommend bringing bikes because they have great paved trails all through the 650 acre park. I usually don't like to visit the same place twice because I like to visit new areas but this park and Charleston are the exception. If you have never been to Charleston you don't know what your missing. If you camp at this park, you will not be disappointed(especially if you have kids). Other things I highly recommend doing while in Charleston: USS Yorktown at Patriots Point, Carriage tour of historic area, The parade at the Citadel, Folley Beach, Fort Sumpter, Walk the bridge, visit a plantation(we went to Middleton Place & loved it), shopping on King St. I know I've said it already but the historic area of downtown Charleston is spectacular. We are hoping to visit this park during one of their upcoming events.

Room Tip: All sites seemed very roomy and nice. Take what you can get, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Just found this by Googling where to camp around Charleston. It is a beautiful place and this time of year not too busy. Very easy to get big rigs in. Great water pressure. Ok Wifi sometimes. Many activities would be available in warmer weather. Great place for kids. So convenient to the attractions. Would stop here again if in the area and reasonably priced.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Well located between Charleston and Folly Beach, but well off the main roads so quiet and peaceful. Sites are sand, dirt and grass and it had rained heavily the previous 2 days before our arrival, so some mud. Many sites are large and separated from neighboring sites be space and threes/shrubs. Pull-thrus and back-ins available. Bathrooms are large and clean. Laundry facilities available. We basically like state and county parks much better and most commercial parks. This is a good choice. If you like oysters on the half shell, go to happy hour at Salty Waters next door to the nearby Publix.

Room Tip: Close to both Charleston and Folly Beach
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to James Island County Park Campground & Cottages? Share your experiences!