“History and Beverages” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 195 Activities in Charleston
Type: Food & Drink
Activities: Drinking
More attraction details
Owner description: Tap into over 300 years of Charleston's History! Stroll through the historic streets of Charleston while we regale you with unusual-but true-stories of the city's past. Be entertained by your period-dressed guide while learning stories of early prohibition criminals and historical oddities of which even locals seldom speak. Includes three to five unique pubs and the option to enjoy food and libations. By private request. Groups can range 4 to 90 guests per tour.
Soperton, Georgia, United States
8 attraction reviews
“History and Beverages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our tour guide was excellent. He talked of the old city, but also made everyone laugh. he was very relaxed and laid back. I wish I could remember his name...! We had lots of fun and the appetizer served at the bars with our drinks were an added benefit. It was nice to walk a little and then take a break and enjoy a drink and then walk more! My husband and myself both enjoyed this walking tour.

Visited July 2013

Greenville, South Carolina
“Pubs, Pirates, Prohibition OH MY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

EXCELLENT TOUR! Our guide was great, he was dressed in colonial period attire and did the pub tours for fun on the side of his full time museum guide job. He was an absolute wealth of knowledge and regaled us with stories of pirates and blind tigers and even a priest who was sent back to Ireland for baptizing a bear cub! It was cool getting drinks at the historic watering holes of Charleston and getting to be part of a group even though my husband and I were just in town by ourselves. It made for a really fun night out and we continued to bar hop even after the tour was over at 8pm, we saw other members from the group out and about on the town, it was great! Highly recommend!

Visited July 2013
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review! We are very fortunate to have such knowledgeable guides, who also happen to be very entertaining! All of our guides are full-time historians, and three have written books on Charleston history.

We're glad that you enjoyed the tour and that we were able to get your evening off to a great start!

Again, thank you...
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
“Great Tour......EXCEPT....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Myself, along with seven other women in my family did this tour this past weekend and had a great time. Alan, our guide was informative, fun and a great leader of our group. I couldn't say one negative thing about this tour EXCEPT our visit into the liquor (ABC) store on the corner of Exchange St and East Bay. Alan was filling us with historical information on that area of the city and telling us the history of the liquor store and said to go inside and take a look if we would like. My husband and I have been in it a few times and think it's really neat, so I brought the ladies in for them to see for themselves. Well so much for a warm, southern welcome, the owner was extremely RUDE, told us this was not part of the tour and didn't appreciate it that we were "browsing" and he was closing, it was 6:40 pm, the sign said closes at 7pm. So much for the bottle of wine my cousin was going to buy, we turned around and walked out, but not without him slamming the door on the back of my foot. I frequent Charleston often, but I will make sure I bring what I am going to drink, this is what I recommend to anyone. Don't waste your time giving this rude business owner your business, that's right, he is the owner not an employee. My group felt so bad for Alan, we could see that he was embarrassed. I'm sure the Charles Towne Pub Stroll guides will never tell their groups to go check out the liquor store anymore......Way to go rude store owner!!!

Visited June 2013
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for posting the review. We're glad that you enjoyed the tour. I'm sure that the issue at the liquor store was a misunderstanding, as the folks there are always very gracious. Please understand that in SC, liquors MUST have everyone out of the store and the door locked by 7pm per state law or face major fines and loss of license.

Again, thank you for posting the review.
Alameda, California
“Delightful duo of drinking and details of dastardly deeds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

A friend and I made a visit to Charleston at the end of April. Last year we were also in Charleston and took the Pirate Tour with Eric which was phenomenal. That is how we found out about the Pub Stroll with Mike. In the course of approximately three hours we visited 4 pubs with various histories. Our group was small with only 4 people but it made the tour much more intimate which I liked. Not only was Mike extremely informative about the history of pub going in the Charleston area but he was also extremely informative about the kinds of refreshments available at each establishment. His tale of Anne Bonnie and Mary Reed put us (quiet literally) in the middle of the story. At the end of the evening Mike was gracious enough to allow us a few photo opportunities which were much appreciated. I recommend this tour to all those of appropriate age.

Visited April 2013
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for posting the review! We're so glad that you enjoyed the tour with Mike.

Thanks, also, for posting the awesome photos. I'd love copies to post on our Facebook page and website. If you're ok with that, just email me the pics at info@charlestonpiratetour.com.

Thank you for touring with us again... and for the recommendation.
Charleston, South Carolina
“I never saw the blind tiger. :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

A friend of mine came to visit and I booked this tour as a different thing to do. It was very informative and funny. It was just the two of us in our party, but it was a total of six people all together. We quickly became friends with the other guests, and had a great time. The guide was nice, knowledgeable, and witty. We went to four or five pubs, and heard stories about several other businesses along the way. My favorite was about the blind tiger. We had so much fun on our tour that we all decided to have an after party at Wet Willies.

Visited June 2013
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for posting review! We're glad that you enjoyed the tour. That "blind tiger" in very very elusive cat! LOL.