“Quite a Place” 5 of 5 stars

117 Broad Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Charlestowne)   |
Ranked #6 of 44 Charleston B&B and Inns
“Quite a Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

I’ll start with an overall impression. My wife and I were thrilled with our stay at the Governor’s House, a very fine inn which we would enthusiastically recommend for any number of reasons. I’ll get to the positives in a minute, after a comment or two. Yes, this is the perfect atmosphere for couples or small groups on vacation, but if you are in Charleston purely for business, you will be in the minority at this inn. Everyone we met was there for pleasure, including a couple of honeymooners. Not a problem for us, but not like a big hotel. The inn does provide wireless access throughout (no charge) so I was able to can connect with the office. Also, if you prefer a large bathroom, be sure to ask when you make your reservation. The inn was originally a pre-revolutionary mansion from the 1700s (yes it truly was the “governor’s house”) and it has been brilliantly updated, which means one or two of the bathrooms had to be created from available space. Our room, although quite luxurious, had a smallish bathroom. In fairness, other guests told us their baths were very spacious, so just ask when you reserve. All in all, we found the situation totally acceptable because of other tradeoffs, including a huge veranda just outside our room, great food, and a very solicitous staff that really shined when it mattered. I especially liked our location, which places it pretty much in between the city’s old battery and the best shopping and restaurants. We felt this was the most romantic part of historic Charleston. The Governor’s House is really quite a place…it is so lovely we often found ourselves just enjoying our down time by sitting around like royalty.

• Stayed May 2005

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Keller, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2006

The Governor's House Inn, Charleston South Carolina

After months of research, my husband and I decided on The Governor's House Inn
to spend our 26th anniversary. We were not disappointed. It exceeded all of our
expectations and we have high expectations. We have stayed in a number of B & B's
throughout the United States and none of them compared to The Governor's House Inn.
We had such a wonderful time, I'm planning to return in the fall for the candlelight tour of homes with my girlfriends. No need to research any further, pick The Governor's House Inn and you won't be disappointed.

Calfornia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

OK, I've stayed in countless hotels and B&Bs and this one is the creme de la creme! It really doesn't get any better than this. Karen Spell Shaw does an outstanding job of innkeeping here; I have no idea how she does it. It may help that her parents own 2 Meeting Street, and she got some training there. Her staff are, to a one, terrific. The rooms are not cheap (ours was about $500 a night, including tax), but honestly, it's worth every penny. I've NEVER had better service anywhere. These people are the best! We stayed in the Kitchen House, which is actually the building behind the gracious manse. It belies its humble usage in the past, and has been gloriously and thoroughly remodelled and decorated. The downstairs (where my parents stayed) is great for a couple that doesn't want to climb a lot of stairs, and very quiet, large and lovely. It has it's own veranda & you can see the original 200-year old brick oven here.. The upstairs (where my daughter and I stayed) is terrific, and large, and has it's own screened-in porch on the 2nd floor. We sat out there during a fantastic thunderstorm 2 weeks ago! (We don't have anything like that in the Bay Area.) The breakfasts they served were glorious, Low-Country, diet-bustin' masterpieces, and they are happy to make and serve you something else if you don't like that day's selection. Afternoon snacks, cakes, and goodies are served in gracious Southern style at 4:30PM. The main house is decorated beautifully -- it's as it you are guests of a very discerning antique collector, who trusts you implicitly with their glorious furnishings, carpets, and decor. My highest recommendations, all around!

• Stayed April 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

Odd as it sounds, I knew this inn was special when we drove up because even the parking area is marvelously landscaped and alluring. Although I’m admittedly a pushover for charismatic small inns, the superlatives I could use to describe our stay at Governors House might be a bit of an understatement.
Our first impressions:
- As we approached to check in we could hear live music and soon discovered a delightful gentleman entertaining guests during late day tea on a beautiful antique grand piano. We were instantly enchanted.
- The mansion is both commanding and inviting. The main floor has an open feel with living rooms that are ample, stylish and livable and a nice mix of old and new. The porch is fantastic. I would LOVE to entertain clients here.
- The staff is attentive, friendly, pleasantly southern but always professional. They instinctively handled just about everything for us.
- The place oozes history. One can just imagine ideas exchanged here, involving people like Thomas Jefferson, concerning the future of our country.

Later impressions, after we got to know the inn and Charleston a little better:
- The Laurens room, which we selected in advance, was a good size room, with a fireplace, sofa and chairs, a comfortable king bed that had a canopy. Also, tall ceilings and original wood floors. The bath was smallish but acceptable (the rooms with larger baths were already reserved). In my opinion, the room’s best feature is very large private outdoor sitting area on the upstairs piazza. I felt very Southern (I'm a transplant to NC from NY).
- Breakfast was delicious, including quiche, fruit, coffee, juice. Coincidentally, one of our fellow guests was a former colleague from our days in San Francisco.
- Charleston is a dream. We loved our close proximity to most places we wanted to go, like antique shops, walking tours and the city’s many historic homes, a few of which are open as museums. (The big plantations are several miles outside the City.) We walked everywhere, and took a short rickshaw ride to dinner in the evenings. The old Battery is about 4 blocks away. To those who might be unfamiliar with Charleston, the Battery itself is totally noncommercial - there may be only one nice b&b actually located along there – but we actually preferred the convenience of the Governors House.

I have more positive things to say but will end here. In conclusion, we were smitten with the Governors House inn and will enthusiastically tell our friends.

• Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

This was our first bed and breakfast experience and it was perfect. The house was beautiful and spotless, yet still very homelike and comfortable. The staff was amazing, helped with directions, and made reservations for meals and all of our tours. The breakfast and snacks during tea were homecooked and delicious. We stayed in the Wagenor Room which was very romantic and private. Our room and bathroom was much smaller than expected (we did have one of the cheaper rooms) but everything else was extraordinary.

• Stayed March 2006
Suwanee, GA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

If you can believe that excellence is an understatement, it is here!
My Husband and I absolutely adored our stay at the Governor's House Inn.
Every staff member encountered was professional, warm and gracious - they spoiled us just like we like!
The food was wonderful, the room was fabulous, the aroma of that Christmas tree was devine!!
This was by far the best experience we've had at a B&B!

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2005

If you prefer to stay somewhere warm, intimate and exceptionally attractive in the nicest part of Charleston, you should definitely consider Governors House. I can say that the very positive reviews of this inn are spot on. We especially liked the fact that the mansion is nestled in the visually appealing South of Broad neighborhood removed from the busier and more commercial market area, yet still we could walk to restaurants and elsewhere in about 5 minutes. I am originally from England and I thought the staff’s emphasis on service and detail had a European quality. (A lovely afternoon tea and personal assistance with dining are just two examples—and there was no charge for either.) We stayed in the Independence room, pretty enough but slightly smaller than we would have liked, though we had enough space throughout the rest of the inn that we never felt cramped. We did see two other rooms before we checked out and they were quite large and elegant. Overall, we felt this in was the perfect choice for our next visit to Charleston.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Governor's House Inn? Share your experiences!